Bobbin Sanders

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hpl

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a Charnwood Bobbin Sander last November and it has been back once and is going to have to go back again. First time it wouldn't start up, this time it has play somewhere so that the bobbin wobbles. OK, it gets trade use, but not very much, it has probably only had a weeks work in the last year, and when I bought it I said I wanted it for light trade use.
I'm now thinking that maybe I should have bought the Jet one. I did ask the question at the shop at the time of buying but they told me there wasn't much difference between them all, even the Jet. Does anyone have any experience of these machines, especially trade use? And would the larger floor standing Jet be better built than the bench top one? Or is there a better alternative?

Thanks

Johnny B

Are you sure the bobbin is 'wobbling'? Take it out of the machine and place a straight edge against it. I've found that if I over-tighten the bolt on top (to secure the sleeves) then it cause the bobbin to 'deflect' slightly, so it's bowed very slightly. This is enough to create a 'knocking-effect' as it rotates against the timber, instead of cutting smoothly.

I have the benchtop Jet and, as I just said in another thread, I wouldn't trade it for anything less! :) It really is a lovely piece of machinery, so quiet and very smooth-running.

I'm not entirely sure of how the larger floor-standing model compares (at nearly three-times the price!! :shock:) but, you bobbins are longer, meaning you can work with "taller" timber and you can also fit a 4" bobbin to this machine, where the benchtop model will only take up to 3".

hpl":1pijj7mq said:
I'm now thinking that maybe I should have bought the Jet one. I did ask the question at the shop at the time of buying but they told me there wasn't much difference between them all, even the Jet. Does anyone have any experience of these machines, especially trade use? And would the larger floor standing Jet be better built than the bench top one? Or is there a better alternative?
When I was in the market for an OBS, I went to an outlet where I could hear them running. I heard the Charnwood first, but as soon as I heard the Jet, I knew which one was going in the van. Perhaps the store you went to made more profit out of the Charnwood?

I've given my Jet some considerable stick over the past five years, although I wouldn't describe it as "trade" use. That said, I would have no hesitation in recommending it for the trade, based on my experience.

I made an additional top so that I could both sand circles and get to use the middle of the loadings.

Ray.

jetjig01.jpg

I had a Charnwood router that had a bent shaft from new, sent it for repair and they said no fault found (you could see it and the vibration !)got my money back and they were going to resell it, so that was the last item that i will ever purchase from Charnwood .

I got stung by the Charnwood. Overall it's not too bad. I don't get a wobble, but the table needs bracing. 2 plastic knobs through a bit of thin metal are never going to hold the cast iron table level/true. I can't see me upgrading because I don't use it enough, but I do wish I'd bought the Jet.

A bobbin sander will be my next machine and I've looked at them all. The Jet is better than the SIP/Charnwood ones but not as good as I thought it might be. The biggest advantage to me seemed to be the greater choice of bobbin sizes on the Jet. I waiting for the SECC show in Glasgow next March. Hopefully will have saved up enough by then.

Argee, can I ask you to let me have a closer look at the table you have made for yours.
I am about to buy a delta boss one. tomorrow, for 40quid, Thats ok, isn't it? I am so sick of trying to sand awkward areas so will be happy to have it, although it will not get a lot of use really.

I did wonder about some sort of jig, or fence? Bear in mind I have never used one, so don't ridicule me too much, eh?

Thanks folks

Neil

I like the Delta BOSS sander. Its got a round thick cast machined top which is much bigger than the others. The only down side is that the top doesn't tilt which isn't that big a deal but if the bobbin is out of whack there's no adjustment to get the table back to 90 degrees against it. I would do a quick check with a set square before you buy.

neilyweely":fl64rh47 said:
Argee, can I ask you to let me have a closer look at the table you have made for yours.
I could take a load of pictures, but an explanation will be OK, I think, as I'm a little pressed for time right now.

The "T" shape is only necessary to extend the slot for use when sanding circles. The slot is shouldered, so that a small sharpened bolt can be slid along and tightened at the correct radius, then used as a pivot point.

Without that feature, the table is simply sized to whatever you need, then the actual table inverted over it, the outline traced, then routed out to a suitable depth and size so that it's an interference fit over the machine. The routing of the underside of the table needs a little thought and is best done diagonally, otherwise you can end up with no reference surface. You need to be accurate, but it's not difficult. My table top is made from two sheets of 25mm MDF laminated together, then lipped with softwood for appearance sake. HTH :)

Ray

neilyweely i have the delta boss it got damaged in transit as that ci is heavy and i think the parcel rolled and wrote off the plastic base i fixed it. The next problem was abrasive loadings there i found a supply on ebay in the usa,haven't found a supply of rubber slugs yet but i have most sizes. Its a quiet nice m/c.and a good price if it has some slugs with it.

I've used one of the Delta sanders at college. They're small but very solid - you really can't go wrong at £40! :wink:

will check with a square, and if its ok, and has some slugs, and hasn't been damaged in transit, and I feel I can apply a table to it accurately enough, then it'll be SOLD!! :wink: :wink:

Thanks a lot folks,

Neil (on his way!)

p11dom - just a thought, and forgive the thug coming out of me, but if the table is out of 'whack' do you think a 'whack' will cure it? The bobbin, I mean? Is there any way of taking it to pieces and maybe straightening it?
Must admit I am a little concerned now, I hate my tools being poorly set up. If I know they aren't right I won't use 'em.

Neil

If your adding an additional table then some strategically placed shims will true it up.

No whacking

It depends on where it's out of whack. Most things can be straightened but if it's a rod coming out of an aliminium casting then probably not. If you try and hit it the casting usually cracks and would be pretty much beyond repair. I'm not familiar with the internals of this machine so I don't know really. Alignment it just something I would check before you buy. At £40 though I buy it anyway. It just seems supiciously cheap that's all. Possibly indicating there may be a problem. Fingers crossed for you that there isn't

Ok, I have it. And it all seems fine, the only problem being I have only one 'bobbin' thingy with it, and no inserts or sander drum thingys.
any idea where i can get some to fit?

(We are still on topic, aren't we, am I being rude by asking questions on someone elses thread?)

Thanks a lot all

neil

Issac Lord used to stock Delta so you could try and check with them. If you have a lathe then inserts shouldnt be too hard to make. You could also do them with a trammel and a router. Failing that I believe it's still a current model in the US. All those bits should be light so importing them might not be too pricey. You couls also get quite a few replacement sleeves while youre on.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like more people have a bobbin sander than I would have expected.

My wobble is quite a bit of movement of the actual shaft, which makes the bobbin wobble side to side. Unfortunately this is much more than just the rubber being over tightened.
I bought it to do a job, the sanding only took about a day, but I have since had a few more orders for similar items and so it has had a few days work.
When I bought it I realised that the table wasn't the most secure, but thought that I could live with that, and I can. The real reason that I bought the Charnwood was that it was in stock in my local store. They don't stock any of the other makes, but could get them in. This is when I asked about the Jet (knowing it cost quite a bit more) and I was told they all come out of China and are basically the same machine. From what Ray has said this is not the case.
Does your table have much movement/ play in the tilt adjustment Ray, does it hold the table securely? The Charnwood is rather flimsy, as Tom has mentioned. The pictures of yours look the same type of arrangement.
The reason I mention the floor standing one is that the timber I am sanding is up to 50mm thick, the 19mm bobbin doesn't extend that high when it is in the lowest part of the stroke, making it a bit awkward to use. I would then have to find floor space for it though!

Anyway, thanks for your input, I'll have to see what they can do with the Charnwood first, otherwise I'll have to sell it to some unsuspecting customer :whistle:

Johnny B

Back