Jet Drum Sander 16-32

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone on here got the Jet Drum Sander 16-32 or any other jet drum sander, I think they are all the same as regards the fixing of the sandpaper roll, with those stupid spring clips, I think there must be a better way of securing the sandpaper to the drum, I can't get the clips to grip the paper properly, I have read the instructions and did what they said but still no luck, any advice welcome

Unfortunately it’s a knack that you need to acquire- sorry!

Also, may seem stupid but make sure you have got the roll the right way round, mine starts on the open end of the sander and ends at the most awkward place possible on the closed end. I got it the wrong way round thinking they couldn’t have designed it like that, but was wrong, when rolled incorrectly it sort of does up but doesn’t if that makes sense.

Sorry, probably not the answer you were looking for but you have my deepest sympathy :(

With a name like yours you should be an expert at it, it's only complying with your law😉
Seriously though, l agree with @Mrs C. I have had occasions when the tapered end has torn off (paper abrasive, not cloth backed) and I've retrieved the situation by reinforcing it with gaffa tape. This may help too with your gripping problem.
Get a grip man

Brian

Thank you, Mrs C
I am winding it on the right way, it is just that the spring clips are not very good, well worse than that, they are useless, I am going to have to find out if I can make something better, that is my mission for today

With a name like yours you should be an expert at it, it's only complying with your law😉
Seriously though, l agree with @Mrs C. I have had occasions when the tapered end has torn off (paper abrasive, not cloth backed) and I've retrieved the situation by reinforcing it with gaffa tape. This may help too with your gripping problem.
Get a grip man

Brian
Thanks, Brian
I totally agree with you, but then again it might be sod's law, I am using cloth-backed Siat sandpaper which is good stuff, I will try the gaffa tape, that sounds like a good idea, and I will spend today trying to get a grip?

Well that did not take long and it works 100% better, now I have to work on the other side

Attachments

• 20240128_110800.jpg
    20240128_110800.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240128_110751.jpg
    20240128_110751.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240128_110709.jpg
    20240128_110709.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Well that did not take long and it works 100% better, now I have to work on the other side
Excellent, I might have a go at that next time I need to change.
Re the wraps, I'm afraid I'm a bit of a miser and cut my own form a 50m roll of paper abrasive. It doesn't last as long as cloth but it only costs pence and doesn't get heavy use.
Brian

Back