New Charnwood drum sander

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezman

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw an advert from Yandles for the new Charnwood 10" drum sander. NEW For 2023: Charnwood 10 Inch Drum Sander with Floor Stand DS10 + 5 FREE Sanding Wraps!

Not used Charnwood equipment before and I know they have a reputation thats a bit up and down, but at this price, I'm willing to give this a go.

I've been looking to get one of these for a while, but keep missing out on 2nd hand jet ones. Or they seem expensive for the condition they are in.

I do like that this one has the optional side plate, removable for working on larger pieces.

Looks a good deal from Yandles - £50 off launch price, 5 free sanding wraps. I've ordered one, but they are not being shipped until feb 2023. I'll report back on my experience with it.

Can anyone recommend a good sandpaper roll / supplier?

I saw an advert from Yandles for the new Charnwood 10" drum sander. NEW For 2023: Charnwood 10 Inch Drum Sander with Floor Stand DS10 + 5 FREE Sanding Wraps!

Not used Charnwood equipment before and I know they have a reputation thats a bit up and down, but at this price, I'm willing to give this a go.

I've been looking to get one of these for a while, but keep missing out on 2nd hand jet ones. Or they seem expensive for the condition they are in.

I do like that this one has the optional side plate, removable for working on larger pieces.

Looks a good deal from Yandles - £50 off launch price, 5 free sanding wraps. I've ordered one, but they are not being shipped until feb 2023. I'll report back on my experience with it.

Can anyone recommend a good sandpaper roll / supplier?
Hi, I'm going to get one of these Charnwood drum sanders too. It also comes with a 5 year guarantee bit of a no brainer for me. I only have a small workshop so this will be perfect. It looks like the small Axminster drum sander but £500 cheaper. I dare say they're mainly made in China. I do have a 14" Charnwood bandsaw and have to say out of the box it's not brilliant. I had to make some alterations to the bandsaw and now it's okay but not the quality of other makes. I love going to Yandles so it will be a great day out anyway.

The only thing I would question is that they say remove the end support to get a double pass for wider stock, now you want to know how rigid is that sander drum without this end support in place. If I was buying one then I would probably restrict myself to the single pass but lets see further reviews when more people have purchased them. Also do they use an easy to obtain belt size.

I think the bearings should be fine to take the extension support away as it's only a very short roller. If it isn't well, it's got a 5 year guarantee. Looking at the castings on very similar ones, I'd guess they are made in the same factory in China then rebadged

I think the bearings should be fine to take the extension support away as it's only a very short roller. If it isn't well, it's got a 5 year guarantee. Looking at the castings on very similar ones, I'd guess they are made in the same factory in China then rebadged
I think Spectric is referring to the flex in the machine. The flex resulting in mismatch between the left and right side passes and something of a "hump" in the middle.

Pete

Only goes down to a 5mm min thickness.
Sounds a good punt though at £699.
I'd need a good justification to get passed SWMBO, having just got a genmitsu proverxl 4030 plus laser head. 😱😱😱

Hi @Sachakins do you fancy doing a review on that genmitsu? I keep getting tempted to buy a CNC / laser / 3d printer. Very nearly pushed the button on the snapmaker2 but it looks a little small / expensive (even with 40% off in current deals)

Hi @Sachakins do you fancy doing a review on that genmitsu? I keep getting tempted to buy a CNC / laser / 3d printer. Very nearly pushed the button on the snapmaker2 but it looks a little small / expensive (even with 40% off in current deals)
Still in its box, need to build space in workshop. But I'll put up some as I go along probably.

If you need to go thinner put the piece on a sheet of plywood. Stick it down with 2 sided tape or glue s ledge to the end of the plywood for the piece to push against.

Permission or approval from SWMBO is way beyond my pay grade.

Pete
Tried the double sided tape, tape and glue trick on sled type arrangement, but getting thin stuff off often broke with being so thin.
SWMBO already spotted me browsing it, that icy stare has already put me off even thinking of asking about one.

I had a machine very similar to these, near exact, sold it to Bob off this group… it’s a great little sander, I only swapped as I needed a bigger machine… ohh abd despite what it says you can change the min thicknes To near 1.5mm, it’s a simple machine screw that’s the stop, back it out a little and you go far thinner.

I contacted Charnwood at the beginning of the week, as I had seen Yandles and others quoting that deliveries of this item would be commencing this week. Charnwood were great. They asked me what day I wanted it delivering and arranged for that to happen - today.

Unfortunately the pallet truck was too large to get up my drive, and the driver said his electronic pump truck was out of battery. So we handballed the near 100KG pallet and box off the wagon, onto my cheap and cheerful dolly. One of the wheels collapsed immediately. A bit annoying as each was rated for 50KG so it should have coped. Anyhoo, we managed to get it up the drive and outside my garage workshop on 3 wheels.

I opened the plywood box top and removed the sides. In there were 2 boxes and the sander itself. Got them all transferred into the workshop and then regressed to my childhood. The usual building of meccano legs was required - I quiet enjoyed it until I realised I had put 2 of the legs on the wrong sides. If you do buy one of these, make sure you check the holes for wheel assembly. After about 30 minutes the legs were complete.

1674245860631.png

I then lifted the sander onto the legs and attached the 4 holding bolts. This would be much easier with 2, but as I was on my own, I had no choice. But it is pretty heavy.

I added the dust extractor , and for this I am used my Bosch Gas 35L shop vac with a 100mm adapter. I then fitted the handwheel for the depth adjustment and we were ready to go.

First up was a bit of tulip wood on the factory installed 80 grit belt. I then took a piece of rough sawn and cupped cherry. sanded with the crown to the top and got that level, then flipped it and did the opposite side.

At this stage a few things were evident. The tracking was a smidgeon out. Really easy to fix this - simple screw mechanism on the bed rollers. The next thing was the piece slipping on the bed. After a little trial and error, it was clear that trying to sand too much at once caused slippage. Whilst you can apply a bit of pressure behind the piece and it will go through, it has seemed better so far, to reduce the amount sanded. Next was the feed rate. This also contributes to the piece slipping - the slower the better for this. I have to say though the rubber feed belt could be better in terms of "stickyness".

Despite the above the results were pretty good. At 80 grit, there are clear sanding lines.

1674246028401.png

However, the piece was parallel to 0.02 of a mm. Which is more than enough for me. I think having the (removable when required) support at the open end definitely helped this.

Part of the pre-order offer was to receive 5 additional sanding belts FOC. These were another 80g, and one each of 120, 150, 180, 240. Despite having read numerous reports on how difficult it is to change these types of sanding belt, I decided to jump straight in and try the 240 grit. Opening up the case to access the drum is achieved by removing on single machine screw on the dust hood. There are then 2 clips to release either end of the belt, which can then be removed easily. To replace the belt with the 240g, the first thing I did was bend the narrow ends at the points they insert into the inside of the drum. I had seen this as a tip on a YT video on other makes of sander. That done the LHS end went in without any trouble. Winding the belt round the drum caused no issue, and the other end went straight into the clamp first time and the belt was both tight and secure - result.

I then took the above piece of cherry and ran it through 4 times hopefully to see an improvement.

2nd time through
1674246505545.png

The sanding lines were much reduced.

3rd time through

1674246578227.png

Sanding lines hardly noticeable. It was at this point I was experimenting with the depth of sanding and the feed rate - reducing both worked much better.

4th time through was pretty smooth.

1674246685291.png

There were some sanding lines present, but very minor. I would expect a quick hit with the ROS or a scraper would make it perfect.

On first impressions I am happy with this.

It was the right size for me and my space. The price is the cheapest out there that I could see. The build quality is on a par with Axminster Craft / Workshop. It was quiet - the DE was much louder. It was parallel across the piece. The feed belt could be better.

For a relatively cheap Chinese mass produced machine, I was astounded that the only issue I came across today, was a single m8 nylon nut that had no threads, fortunately I had plenty of them in stock.

Ian

I've just ordered one too. I mainly want it for luthier work. At present I can't justify a Laguna. The Charnwood drum sander arrives this Tuesday.

I contacted Charnwood at the beginning of the week, as I had seen Yandles and others quoting that deliveries of this item would be commencing this week. Charnwood were great. They asked me what day I wanted it delivering and arranged for that to happen - today.

Unfortunately the pallet truck was too large to get up my drive, and the driver said his electronic pump truck was out of battery. So we handballed the near 100KG pallet and box off the wagon, onto my cheap and cheerful dolly. One of the wheels collapsed immediately. A bit annoying as each was rated for 50KG so it should have coped. Anyhoo, we managed to get it up the drive and outside my garage workshop on 3 wheels.

I opened the plywood box top and removed the sides. In there were 2 boxes and the sander itself. Got them all transferred into the workshop and then regressed to my childhood. The usual building of meccano legs was required - I quiet enjoyed it until I realised I had put 2 of the legs on the wrong sides. If you do buy one of these, make sure you check the holes for wheel assembly. After about 30 minutes the legs were complete.

View attachment 151593
I then lifted the sander onto the legs and attached the 4 holding bolts. This would be much easier with 2, but as I was on my own, I had no choice. But it is pretty heavy.

I added the dust extractor , and for this I am used my Bosch Gas 35L shop vac with a 100mm adapter. I then fitted the handwheel for the depth adjustment and we were ready to go.

First up was a bit of tulip wood on the factory installed 80 grit belt. I then took a piece of rough sawn and cupped cherry. sanded with the crown to the top and got that level, then flipped it and did the opposite side.

At this stage a few things were evident. The tracking was a smidgeon out. Really easy to fix this - simple screw mechanism on the bed rollers. The next thing was the piece slipping on the bed. After a little trial and error, it was clear that trying to sand too much at once caused slippage. Whilst you can apply a bit of pressure behind the piece and it will go through, it has seemed better so far, to reduce the amount sanded. Next was the feed rate. This also contributes to the piece slipping - the slower the better for this. I have to say though the rubber feed belt could be better in terms of "stickyness".

Despite the above the results were pretty good. At 80 grit, there are clear sanding lines.

View attachment 151594

However, the piece was parallel to 0.02 of a mm. Which is more than enough for me. I think having the (removable when required) support at the open end definitely helped this.

Part of the pre-order offer was to receive 5 additional sanding belts FOC. These were another 80g, and one each of 120, 150, 180, 240. Despite having read numerous reports on how difficult it is to change these types of sanding belt, I decided to jump straight in and try the 240 grit. Opening up the case to access the drum is achieved by removing on single machine screw on the dust hood. There are then 2 clips to release either end of the belt, which can then be removed easily. To replace the belt with the 240g, the first thing I did was bend the narrow ends at the points they insert into the inside of the drum. I had seen this as a tip on a YT video on other makes of sander. That done the LHS end went in without any trouble. Winding the belt round the drum caused no issue, and the other end went straight into the clamp first time and the belt was both tight and secure - result.

I then took the above piece of cherry and ran it through 4 times hopefully to see an improvement.

2nd time through
View attachment 151595
The sanding lines were much reduced.

3rd time through

View attachment 151596

Sanding lines hardly noticeable. It was at this point I was experimenting with the depth of sanding and the feed rate - reducing both worked much better.

4th time through was pretty smooth.

View attachment 151597

There were some sanding lines present, but very minor. I would expect a quick hit with the ROS or a scraper would make it perfect.

On first impressions I am happy with this.

It was the right size for me and my space. The price is the cheapest out there that I could see. The build quality is on a par with Axminster Craft / Workshop. It was quiet - the DE was much louder. It was parallel across the piece. The feed belt could be better.

For a relatively cheap Chinese mass produced machine, I was astounded that the only issue I came across today, was a single m8 nylon nut that had no threads, fortunately I had plenty of them in stock.

Ian
I received my Charnwood drum sander yesterday. My son and I also put the wrong legs on the base and had to take them apart again...oh how we laughed. We also had nuts with no threads but like you I had plenty in stock. I only had chance to start it up and was surprised how quiet it is. The belt seems to track well out of the box. I look forward to making some dust with it over the weekend.

I've been in the shed this morning having a better play with the drum sander. I agree the material for the belt is rather smooth and shiny, it doesn't grip the workpiece well enough. After some experimentation I've come up with a fix (God knows how long it will last) I used clear skateboard grip tape on the belt, it's about .75mm thick. The best size seems to be about an inch square. It holds the work very well. I took the side mount off to do some wider timber and was surprised there's no hight difference. I'm rather pleased with the Charnwood drum sander, it's okay for my purposes until I find a Laguna in the future...as if :(

Back