Blow up filter on Dewalt DW501

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grayo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

This might be a stupid question but here goes anyway (be gentle). Can the blow up filter on my newly purchase Dewalt DW501 be washed ???. when I start up the machine I get a bit of dust coming from the bag and if I tap the bag I get a cloud of dust. I was wondering if I took it off and gave it a good shake than a wash in the washing machine when the wife's out if that would make a difference or would it damage it in any way ???.

Graham

The thing with all these sorts of bags, big or small is there will always be some dust that makes it through the material mesh as the air passes, you can wash it now, but after some use it'll do the same. I don't have a large one like yours, but the smaller ones I have on tools I just give them a good beating outside on a windy day downwind, which seems to be enough to stop the big cloud of dust you get when you use them the next few times.

Having said that it's material, so I see no reason why not, but I'd run the machine again after.

i am now working full time as a cabinet maker my dust clothes filthy the washing machine and dryer with the fine dust sticking to the doors and in the seals then transferring to clean white sheets washed later! my house mate isn't happy say the wife wouldn't be either

They can be washed. What i would do after giving it a good shaking or beating on a washing line. Do they still make those carpet beaters you see in films? Rinse the filter bag in the sink a few times in warm water, that gets rid of most of the dust, then bung it in the machine.

Or as it's unlikely to be a weekly thing? Take it to a laundrette? ;)

I recall a cabinet maker on this site was 'caught' by his missus using her washing machine to do exactly what you are asking, I won't give his name, just incase he is still at it.

Baldhead

Baldhead":1q1x6o8c said:
I recall a cabinet maker on this site was 'caught' by his missus using her washing machine to do exactly what you are asking, I won't give his name, just incase he is still at it.

Baldhead

Still at it!! are you saying his wife didn't mind :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grayo":2jeawuyw said:
Baldhead":2jeawuyw said:

Baldhead

Still at it!! are you saying his wife didn't mind :lol: :lol: :lol:
Let's just say, she was amazed he knew how to operate the washer, which led to him having to 'help' with the washing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Baldhead

rdesign":3j7e1mdu said:
i am now working full time as a cabinet maker my dust clothes filthy the washing machine and dryer with the fine dust sticking to the doors and in the seals then transferring to clean white sheets washed later! my house mate isn't happy say the wife wouldn't be either

Thanks that's a good point about the clothes and seals. Better re-think this I think...........Thanks

carlb40":3j7e1mdu said:
They can be washed. What i would do after giving it a good shaking or beating on a washing line. Do they still make those carpet beaters you see in films? Rinse the filter bag in the sink a few times in warm water, that gets rid of most of the dust, then bung it in the machine.

Or as it's unlikely to be a weekly thing? Take it to a laundrette? ;)

I could always make one of those beaters out of a bit of ply or something but like the idea of the laundrette.

Thanks all

I use a pre-filter bag on my shop vac, and find blowing it out with an airline works well. Don't do it if the washing is out, though :)

Every time you wash the fabric you remove the larger dust particles that are clogging up the pores in the weave, this in turn allows a greater airflow but does nothing to help the filtering of finer dust particles from the expelled air.

Just a thought.

Baldhead":306owxo9 said:
Let's just say, she was amazed he knew how to operate the washer, which led to him having to 'help' with the washing! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Baldhead

Hahaha this sounds like it's a bit closer to home than you'd like us to believe so we better leave it there :lol: :lol: :lol:

CHJ":bjirknxw said:
Every time you wash the fabric you remove the larger dust particles that are clogging up the pores in the weave, this in turn allows a greater airflow but does nothing to help the filtering of finer dust particles from the expelled air.

Just a thought.

I would have thought by washing the bag it would clear out the pores and swell the material to create a better seal. I don't know just my thoughts.

CHJ":ilzxpvpx said:

Just a thought.
That sounds logical but just doesn't feel right somehow.
By that token filters should never be cleaned and they would become totally blocked up.
Surely cloth filters are designed to be washed. I am pretty sure that is the case with those on my Camvac.

It varies dependant upon fabric type, woven, looped thread, needle felted etc., but in large commercial cloth filter systems great care is taken when changing/mechanically cleaning filters to build up a surface cake under low pressure to increase the surface filter factor without drawing clogging particles into the depths of the fabric and reducing their working life before subjecting them to full extraction volume.

If your airflow rate increases then there must be less restriction, try placing a fine filter paper over a freshly cleaned filter outlet to see how much fine dust is finding its way through, I bet even your clean handkerchief will have a distinctive dust circle on it if you try.

I'm not saying don't wash your cloth filters, just be certain of what you are expecting them to do and the implications of a less restricted airflow.

Back