Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there a guide anywhere for scroll saw blades like best to use for "X" thickness, best blade for hard/soft wood. how tighter turn can be made with "X" blade etc

Its not an easy question to answer and at the end of the day it is experience that will determine what blade you use for the job in hand. As a guide though and based on my own experience I would use a No 3 blade for fine detail work such as internal cuts on fretwork in plywood. I use 18mm hardwood 99% of the time and I often use a No3 blade for some of the names I do on plaques where the words can be quite small. For most of my internal work I use a No5 blade and for cutting the outside of patterns I wwill use a No7 blade. I have many other blades but very rarely use them and the only blades I use now are Flying Dutman ultra reverse having tried all the rest. Going back on what I said a lot depends on the density of the wood, kiln dried hardwood is harder than air dried and species like Oak and Ash can be challenging. The only pine I use is southern yellow pine and I will use any of the above blades depending on the pattern and how small the internal cuts are. If you would like to see the sort of work I do you can look up my facebook page, wooden crafts from Wales.Hope this helps.

Thank you all I appreciate that any guide is just a generalisation of blades to use. Thank you Chippygeoff I will have a look at your work later.

Back