Jewellers Saw Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Those of you who do inlay work-eg: mother of pearl / wood / metal / plastic etc.

ls it false economy to buy cheap jewellers saw blades?
Where to buy quality saw blades?
Best make of saw blade?
Are cheap jewellers saw frames worth buying?
What is the best throat size of frame for cutting the inlays?

Last edited:
Cheap blades sometimes have a few uneven teeth and are generally rougher, so don't cut evenly. It's worth paying for a saw with an adjustable back as you can use broken blades - sometimes a newish blade will break an inch or so from the end.
I use a Vallorbe saw, but Grobet and others are worth a look - this doesn't look bad value -
https://workshopheaven.com/workshop...1B1agxOL879duXtUSTleMwQfxSfrfIMUaAorwEALw_wcB
I did turn a much nicer handle for mine - all the handles I've ever seen have been far to small for me.

Those of you who do inlay work-eg: mother of pearl / wood / metal / plastic etc.

ls it false economy to buy cheap jewellers saw blades?
Where to buy quality saw blades?
Best make of saw blade?
Are cheap jewellers saw frames worth buying?
What is the best throat size of frame for cutting the inlays?
I use the Pegas blades with the saw from Workshop Heaven (also where the I get the blades from). I find they don't snap as often as cheaper blades do, and they hold tension well.

The frames are similar and the blades interchangeable... but scroll or fret saw blades (one and the same thing) are different to jeweller's or piercing saw blades (also the the same, but different to fret or scroll saw blades). Fret saw blades are primarily woodwooding, although metal cutting versions exist. Jeweller's saw blades are primarily metal cutting and are considerably finer for the same grade number.

Assuming it is jeweller's blades you actually want I quite like Super Pike blades, teeth are evenly cut, work smoothly and the rounded back is a definite benefit on blades with comparatively narrow set. I tend to bulk buy every few years, HS Walsh (the horologist suppliers) tend to be best value when I do.

Back