Birch ply MFT protection.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basssound

Established Member
Reaction score
So what's the best product to apply to my new birch ply MFT tops.
I'd like to water proof them somewhat and make the holes a bit slippier as they are really tight on the dogs.

I have a few MFT tops from CNC Design in both birch ply and mdf. I have used varnish on all of them.
If I need to clean varnish out of the holes I put a 20mm spade bit in cordless drill, push it down through hole with drill not running then start drill and pull it back up through hole. Cleans out varnish and makes dogs fit just how I like.

Sounds a bit rough I know but works for me.

Water based polyurethane, as sold for use on floors, would be suitable, I reckon, giving protection from glue etc but not being too slippery. Polyvine make some good stuff. Easy to apply, quick drying, no smell.

basssound":dctxq99v said:
I'd like to water proof them somewhat and make the holes a bit slippier as they are really tight on the dogs.
Out of interest, why did you use Birch plywood for the MFT tops? Does that cause issues with splintering and delamination compared to MDF with them being somewhat 'sacrificial'?

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Bodgers":2q7f96wf said:
basssound":2q7f96wf said:
Out of interest, why did you use Birch plywood for the MFT tops? Does that cause issues with splintering and delamination compared to MDF with them being somewhat 'sacrificial'?

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

I have not cut into any of my MFT tops yet. I generally have the rail hanging over the edge of bench and offcut falls on floor or I roll over another bench the same height for the waste side to rest on.

After calling CNC designs, they advised me to go for the birch ply as its more stable than MR MDF and the birch ply can be wet without it breaking down.
I'll be using mine solely outside so weather conditions change and I didn't want MDF or any materiel whuch doesn't stand up to a little rain.

That’s what I do. Doug71’s method of having the cut over the edge of the top has one big disadvantage - dust collection is significantly impaired, at least it is with a Festool setup.

Back