MFT what to finish with?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrispy

Established Member
Reaction score
One of the things I get asked to make are MFT bench tops in both MR MDF and Plywood, and I often get asked what is the best way of protecting them, to help keep the damp out while kept in a shed and keep them clean while in use I guess.
Personally I wouldn't bother but then I'm lucky in that I have a nice dry workshop to work in and think that any finish would possibly just make the surface slippery, so I thought I might ask any MFT users here what their opinions are and their go to finish would be if any that is.

Chrispy.

I have tried a few things, shellac sanding sealer, varnish etc. the trouble with it is it will soak into the MDF and make the holes tight, this is less noticable on birch ply but still does it a bit. So whatever you use bear that in mind and keep it to a light coat of shellac or something.
A coat of paste wax won`t cause this problem and gives a bit of protection.
I didn`t put anything on my current one (birch ply ) and it has not made much difference. I treat them as a consumable anyway.

Ollie

Most of my work surfaces and "MFT's" are either ply of MDF, I just use watered down cheap PVA, seals them a treat, and stops liquids/glue from soaking in, (I do have one that's made from Tricoya, bullet proof)

Most of my work surfaces and "MFT's" are either ply of MDF, I just use watered down cheap PVA, seals them a treat, and stops liquids/glue from soaking in, (I do have one that's made from Tricoya, bullet proof)
Tricoya isn't that a bit soft? Always seems that to me anyway.

I think the ultimate would be to cut it from melamine faced mdf, that would be really nice and not need any finish, pretty colours too.

Tricoya isn't that a bit soft? Always seems that to me anyway.
Not really taken much notice to be honest, its a side extension table for my MFT when I go out on site for big projects, its been left out in all the weather in the past, and remained unharmed by the exposure, (caveat, I don't use it as an accurate dog hole type cutting table)

the trouble with it is it will soak into the MDF and make the holes tight
UJK Combined Chamfer & Reamer Tool for 20mm Dog Holes
This will get them back to exact size.
https://www.axminstertools.com/ujk-combined-chamfer-reamer-tool-for-20mm-dog-holes-107868
I accidentally bought it. Meant to get the simple chamfer cutter but bought this by mistake and tbh glad I did. Looks like it will be useful to condition the holes.
The simple chamfer cutter is £25, so this is just another 15 quid and i think thats a fair extra as it will sort out any tightness issues.

UJK Combined Chamfer & Reamer Tool for 20mm Dog Holes
This will get them back to exact size.
https://www.axminstertools.com/ujk-combined-chamfer-reamer-tool-for-20mm-dog-holes-107868
I accidentally bought it. Meant to get the simple chamfer cutter but bought this by mistake and tbh glad I did. Looks like it will be useful to condition the holes.
The simple chamfer cutter is £25, so this is just another 15 quid and i think thats a fair extra as it will sort out any tightness issues.
I have it but think it makes the holes too loose. So I went the other way and bought the chamfer hand tool as well

Back