Binoculars for bird watching

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterfish

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anybody any advice on reasonable quality (and priced) binoculars that are good for bird watching. We have two old cheap pairs we have 'inherited' at various times - both of which don't have particularly clear optics. The larger pair is also quite heavy and difficult to hold steady.

I suppose were looking for something that is easy to use, comfortable and lightweight.

Can you get anti shake binoculars, like you get with cameras?

Any advice gratefully received.

Misterfish

I can recommend the Opticron Trailfinder II at about £100. When I looked a year ago there was nothing really worth having under £100.

The RSPB site Here has some available and offers good advice.
However, I also strongly recommend that you go to a local shop and try them out - especially to determine weight, minimum focal distance and ease of staying on "target".

Good Luck in your search

David

misterfish":2v9cgdca said:
Thanks, I'll look at the RSPB site.

You might also try birdwatching forums. The RSPB has their own binoculars to sell, which makes their recommendations a little open to bias IMHO.

BugBear

Try the infocus website. Look at their events link, they do day events at local sites (Arundel, Rye Harbour, all over the UK though) where you can go along and try the kit out in an outdoor environment. The events are very regular and they do go out of their way to help.

No affiliation BTW, just used them several times.

Nikon make a pair of 10 - 25x zoom jobbies for about £100, don't know the name of them or if they're any good but maybe worth a look...

I have a pair of Nikon 'Action' bins. I got them to leave in the car but now use them all the time. They are very good for the price.

MikeH":3ssu7nab said:
Try the infocus website. Look at their events link, they do day events at local sites (Arundel, Rye Harbour, all over the UK though) where you can go along and try the kit out in an outdoor environment. The events are very regular and they do go out of their way to help.

No affiliation BTW, just used them several times.

Sounds like a good idea. I've put a note in my diary for the next couple of months at Arundel WWT.

Do they have a wide selection available to try?

Thanks

Misterfish

cambournepete":1kwg9eaz said:
Canon do some image stabilised bins.
There's info about them and prices here.
And the Canonsite.

I quite like the idea of these, especially as I'm a bit of a techie, but think I need to try them before considering spending that much.

The more I look around the more choice and complexity there seems to be.

Misterfish

cambournepete":23l5jrn6 said:
Leica are reckoned to be the best - but at a price ...

Amongst birders that's not true.

The relative merits of Swarovski, Leica and the top Zeiss's are a subject of ongoing (and I mean for years ... ) debate.

They all cost crazy amounts of money, obviously :)

BugBear

Hi Misterfish,

A vote for Opticron from me, Dad has 10x42 BGA binoculars and an ES80GA telescope. The binoculars are light in weight and also let plenty of light through them when viewing.
Some retailers have 'viewing days' at various nature reserves around the country so it might be an idea to find one of these local to you to try before you buy. I personally have received good service from the internet retailer warehouse express as well.

HTH

Steve

You must try a selection so these open day things are a good idea.

I was fortunate to be in USA when the $ was cheap & went to a big birding store on Cape Cod next to a big bay. Basically the store owner unlocked the cabint & let me try the lot, no sales pressure at all. There were some at around $700 that I tried; Nikon Ziess etc but I did not think the difference was THAT better than $200 mark ones.

Also I was consious of how gutted I'd be breaking/loosing such expensive kit so I bought some nice cheaper ones (Bushnell) that impressed me. When I got back to UK I found I'd paid £120 for them & they were retailing here for £250 so I'm well chuffed & they have done everything I've wanted & more!!.

Something I've noticed - birders are bigger kit snobs than us. I frequently go to Minismere and you can be walking along & a birder comes the other way and they are desperate to identify the bins around your neck

Screw Loose":1r1j901f said:
You dirty old man

Make you go blind ya know :lol:

lol - i have a nice opticron 8x30 monocular that I took away from a little scrote who was engaged in that kind of bird watching - unfortunately for him the bird in question was a freind of mine....

Last time I went to an InFocus day they must have had about 100 different optics on display. That said, they were of the different types, Bins, Monoculars, Scopes, different price ranges etc. However it is worth a look even if only to get an idea of what sort of thing you want.

I agree with the votes for opticron, very reasonable kit.

lurker":kz0j9yze said:
Something I've noticed - birders are bigger kit snobs than us. I frequently go to Minismere and you can be walking along & a birder comes the other way and they are desperate to identify the bins around your neck

Yeah - that "red dot" on Leicas can be seen a mile off!

BugBear

bugbear":xvj4eyoh said:
lurker":xvj4eyoh said:

Yeah - that "red dot" on Leicas can be seen a mile off!

BugBear

OK, so who's going to own up to having Leitz???
Honest, they weren't THAT expensive :)

Just tidied the car a little and remembered to look at my binoculars...
They're waterproof ones from Strathspey and while they might not be quite up to Leica levels of optical excellence they're excellent value for money.
Sorry it's taken so long to post this...

Back