Best cordless range to go for?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martlewis

Established Member
Reaction score
Am about to replace all of my cordless tools and looking for a set which use the same battery so I only carry one charger. These will be for business use in domestic property maint so need to be good quality.

Looking at DeWalt, but very expensive. Alternatives are Ryobi 18v One+ or the Makita 18v.

Anyone used these who can offer comparisons or reviews please?

So far Ryobi looking the best as you can buy the tools "bare" without batteries but I don't have any experience with the brand.

Cheers.

martlewis":23k66spk said:
Am about to replace all of my cordless tools and looking for a set ...
As this is the un-powered handtool section the only thing we're allowed to recommend is a "Yankee" spiral ratchet screwdriver or an old Stanley eggbeater type drill... :? :wink:

Cheers, Vann.

martlewis":293hntl4 said:
Am about to replace all of my cordless tools and looking for a set which use the same battery so I only carry one charger. These will be for business use in domestic property maint so need to be good quality.

Looking at DeWalt, but very expensive. Alternatives are Ryobi 18v One+ or the Makita 18v.

Anyone used these who can offer comparisons or reviews please?

So far Ryobi looking the best as you can buy the tools "bare" without batteries but I don't have any experience with the brand.

Cheers.

I have a set of Makita 18V. Tools can be bought bare (Just the machine) and the batteries are good.
I currently have jigsaw, drill, impact driver, impact drill, angle drill, reciprocating saw, angle grinder, circular saw and light. All of it very nice!
The tools are nicely made with good ergonomics and a quality feel.
I also have a 14,4v. drill and they share the same charger and the 14,4v. batteries can be used on the 18v. tools.
I can wholeheartedly recommend Makita based on my own experience, but be aware there may be differences in the UK when it comes to what you can get etc. (I'm in Norway)

HTH

I have a couple of DeWalt 18v tools - you can get these bare. I picked up the DeWalt XRP 18v Combi Drill which has a 2.0ah Li-ion battery and charger for £149 at Screwfix (http://bit.ly/bAOlPV). I then combined this with and 18v Dewalt Plunge Saw for £182 from Ray Grahams (http://bit.ly/dvVf6x) - this is a "barebones" saw so no battery or charger - but I got those already with the drill. It does come with a 1.5m rail and is fantastic for cutting down sheet material. You can also buy a router attachment to use the DeWalt routers on this rail. Both of these are currently free delivery. Not sure on the prices of any other 18v DeWalt tools though.

I'm very happy with both of these.

Charlie

Have a look on Fleabay for Dewalt factory reconditioned tools, usually on a buy it now, these have been out to trade shows etc and are effectively brand new, I have had some great bargains buying these. I now have a workshop full of bright yellow tools.

Eg the sliding mitre saw for £220.00 instead of over £300.

Chunko'.

Been using B&Qs MacAllister cordless SDS and drill/driver. They've had over 3 years of abuse and are faultless to date. Just noticed that the drill/driver is the Ryobi blue one, identical except the branding. I know you get what you pay for but over £600 for the DeWalt kit or £300 for Ryobi.

The one biggest concern is that I want all the tools to use the same battery, I'm fed up taking 4 or 5 chargers to a jobsite.

Decisions, decisions...

I have some of the Ryobi one plus gear. Personally I would say they are not commercial/professional grade. I use them in a hobby capacity and they achieve that OK, but only OK.

Ryobi is deffo hobby job stuff. Personally I'd go for the Makita stuff, not overly expensive, but good quality

Ryobi definitely DIY, stay away if using for anything serious. Go with Makita, much better than De Walt. This is only my opinion though.

Woodguy.

If you only want to carry one charger then go for hilti as the same charger will charge all their batteries from 7.2 - 24v. If you aren't going to be using the tools day in day out, then go for the ryobi as it is perfectly adequate.

I would have also recommended Hilti, but as the OP flinched at DeWalt prices I thought hilti would be way too much. I've got a hilti 12v nm/hd drill driver and it's the best I've ever used, I prefer it over festool

I'd recommend makita through personel experience. All my power tools are makita. One charger charges all batteries and everything can be bought bare. Also the new li-ion batteries in 18v 3ah seem to last days before a charge is needed. :shock:

Shane":w1q0a5lx said:
I would have also recommended Hilti, but as the OP flinched at DeWalt prices I thought hilti would be way too much. I've got a hilti 12v nm/hd drill driver and it's the best I've ever used, I prefer it over festool

I don't think that hilti can be beaten for drills either and I'd go out and buy another 12v impact screwdriver tomorrow if I lost mine.

Steve

If it's for your work then you need to bite the bullet IMO and pay the going rate for HD tools. either Makita or DeWalt would be my choice although neither are the best at every tool and my old Elu router is I think still better than my newer Dewalt :?

I used to stock and sell the B&D pro range (Elu, DeWalt etc.) many years ago when Makita were just getting a foot into the market and now in my own business, all my cordless tools are Dewalt.
My common battery size is 14.4 as I have a circ saw and 3 drills, the oldest of which is now probably 15 years+ and still going strong.

They are very heavily used and apart from a replacement gearbox on one at £24, (my fault), have never let me down. Some of the batteries are now a little tired but still work, just run down quicker.

You pays your dosh and takes your choice :!:

cheers

bob

+1 for Makita, never let me down so far. Great build quality for a fair price.
Plus the 'anniversary' ones that they've got out look gooooooooood (white ones) :)

Back