bench router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave323

Established Member
Reaction score
I need some advise about what is important when buying a router for a table. I am only a novice. I am looking at 1/2" routers because I already have a small router for hand held. I want a router that can handle larger cutters like a raised door panel bit or finger joint bit. I need a router with variable speed right? I want the router to have some dust extraction so my garage doesn't keep getting covered in dust. I have a 1/2" makita router but its horribly loud and no dust extraction or variable speed so I want to replace it. Can a router be powerful and quiet(well not realllly loud)? I would like a router that isn't going to water off the neighbours too much. Any recommendations of routers? will a festool 1400 be powerful enough for larger router bits? It is pricey tho i would only get one 2nd hand. I favor dewalt normally.

Many thanks Dave

Hi Dave,

In my router table I have the big Triton, it is not cheap and not quiet but there again it is not as loud as the cheap B&Q router it replaced.

Loads of power with a good design that gives bit changing above the table, along with a nice fine hight adjustment.
Dust collection needs a shop vacuum connected to either the dust port on the router or a fence port, sometime both depending on the type of cut you are marking.

I have seen a TRITON TRB001 for 175 quid I am tempted is this the model you have? Is there a difference between trb001 and tra001 do you know?
There are quite a few dewalt 625 routers going 2nd hand on ebay, are these as decent as the triton do you think?

Dave,

As far as I know there is no difference between the a and the b models of the Triton, I think they were meant to be sold in different countries so may of had different documentation in the box and maybe different plugs.

I have not use the dewalts but there are a number of members who have then, no doubt you will get their views if you wait around a bit longer. 8)

dave323":3d7xzkyi said:
I have seen a TRITON TRB001 for 175 quid I am tempted is this the model you have? Is there a difference between trb001 and tra001 do you know?
As DaveL says, the models are identical, the letter change is purely to identify geographical differences (e.g., voltage). There's a review I did a while back here if it helps.

Ray

Dave, I have the 1/2" Triton in my table and would reccomend it to all, there are no more skinless knuckles as you can change the cutter above the table its also reasoably quiet for such a powerful Router.

Just to demonstrate what I mean

incra015.jpg

Another vote for the Triton - I have one in my Triton router table and it's very easy to use - and not that loud.

Latest posts

Back