Bench drill and inverter best practice in use?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMF

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

it would help if I knew how to ask the question properly so bear with me please! Just got a Naerok GP 13 bench drill that runs through a MTE Sprite inverter / controller, my question is basically am I better to leave that on its top setting and still change speeds with the belt or adjust speed with the controller?

In use it will be mainly timber to begin with but there will be metal work going on, not fussed about changing the belt when I need too more bothered about the inverter and how long that makes things last. I don't understand how they work exactly so does it stress the motor on the drill using a inverter on low settings?

Have read you can lose some of the torque compared to running 3phase but I will not be drilling lumps of plate steel more waste when M&T and forstner bit use, but if running inverter to the max and changing speeds with the belt helps with that then all good.

The drill itself, pics from advert are below I haven't got my camera out yet, ex school had very little use so whilst it looks a bit shabby everything seems very good, got some good test holes, brooke compton motor sounds very smooth, it's all tight and working basically belt in good nick. Paid £40 for it so bit in the budget to tart it up if it's worth it? Was going to get rid of the rust and stick a new cable on it and sort a fancy table for it but apart from that if there is anything you would check / do I would be very grateful to hear any advice.

Thanks,

Dean

Attachments

• drill1.jpg
    drill1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 85
  • drill2.jpg
    drill2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 85
  • drill3.jpg
    drill3.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 84
If you use the invertor to slow the frequency/speed down you may notice a lack of torque, if this is the case then change speeds with belt.
Also, prolonged use at lower invertor frequency/drill speed, not normally a problem with a pillar which by its nature of use is short sessions, motor may get over heated because of lack of self cooling via it's built in fan not moving sufficient cooling air.

I would keep the belt "gearbox" at a speed slightly less than half top speed
then use the inverter to adjust from about 20htz as your min speed and 100 htz as your maximum
Change belts if you have to for more torque or speed

Ian

Can you change parameters on your inverter ? do you have a manual?

Thanks guys very interesting.

Chas, I hadn't thought of that so will bear in mind any long sessions try to get to the required speed using the belts and like wise if it struggles on anything then there's some choice there too to get more torque. Does seem to have quite a bit of go though and a large bit went straight though a lump of oak earlier so maybe worrying over nothing but nice to know it can have some more.

Ian, seems to be the same message general use fine change if you need too, belt around that area but will check in the morning, I have a 1-10 so I guess 20 is 2?! Leads to another question of start up I suppose, if you wouldn't run it at 1 (if that's 10!) then is it best to give it some on start up at least even if I then knock it down to drill a quick hole? No manual unfortunately, I was pleased with the chuck key and a little brush! Don't think there's anything on the front to indicate changing parameters unless something inside gives a clue? What would that do anyway?!

It's sounding quite unfussy in general use though which is nice!

Thanks,

Dean

Back