being bumped.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

Glad it has all come right in the end. I was about to advise you about my expereinces with the small claims court. Don't need to now!

Chris

clewlowm":wx61t4mp said:
just a brief update. after many phone calls and a threat to pull off site! the money has appeared in my bank. somehow think this is my last job for this client, thanks for all the great advice you have given me.

Nice one.

Similar here, a bit of shouting and a threat to go direct to the client and £2k in cash suddenly appeared followed by a bank transfer for the rest!

Thing is it was the second time in 2 months it's happened, gave them the benefit 1st time as I know these things happen but, like yourself, doubt i'll be doing anything else for them in future.

Great result. Now you can get finished and get out of there :lol:

Cheers

Karl

Well done, both of you!

I've been in this situation in the past and now prefer to stick with jobs for members of the public only. I no longer have any interest in dealing with designers or contractors - far too stressful!

I never even start work until I've got 50% of the final price in my bank. For a job requiring a lot of fitting I insist on another 25% on delivery to site. That way if the whole thing goes **** up at the end my losses are minimal.

Since I've instigated these terms however, I've never had a problem. People who pay big deposits tend to have the funds to pay the balance.

Cheers
Brad

Great result for both you guys ! Some very good advice by others as well.

Sometimes it's not the fault of the person owing the money as, if the same thing that is happening to many firms down our way has happened to them, it's down to the banks. Too many times, I'm hearing that a company will get some cashflow funding from the Govt scheme, whatever, only to see the same amount removed by the bank from their overdraft facility. Back to square one.

Depends on who the contractors are, I still work for some where I offer 60 day terms.

Much as I like Duncan, he has a habit of thinking his circumstances are a rule for everyone, should you chose not to work for designers / contractors you immediately cut off 30-40% of potential work, sheer madness in my opinion.
I like contracted work as usually its repeat work, for me its hassle free and no design involvement.
30% of my business is contract work, I would miss this big time if it dried up.

As a sub note, Duncan seems to have a nice business so it works for him not working for contractors, but I really think its horses for courses, do what you think is best but don't just dismiss jobs because its a builder or designer.

BradNaylor":103xys6i said:
I never even start work until I've got 50% of the final price in my bank. For a job requiring a lot of fitting I insist on another 25% on delivery to site. That way if the whole thing goes **** up at the end my losses are minimal.

Cheers
Brad
Years ago the then editor of F&C Paul Richardson stated exactly that...50% deposit and then a bit more if any site work is needed - Rob

its not easy running your own little empire. at least i have the satisfaction of turning them down for another job in london they want me to quote for. think i will just stick with domestic clients from now on.

BradNaylor":1fn0d7uq said:
I've been in this situation in the past and now prefer to stick with jobs for members of the public only. I no longer have any interest in dealing with designers or contractors - far too stressful!

Since I've instigated these terms however, I've never had a problem. People who pay big deposits tend to have the funds to pay the balance.

Cheers
Brad

Doctor":1fn0d7uq said:
Much as I like Duncan (Brad), he has a habit of thinking his circumstances are a rule for everyone, should you chose not to work for designers / contractors you immediately cut off 30-40% of potential work, sheer madness in my opinion.

That's why we make such a good team Bob; you the young, thrusting, ambitious, flash Essex Boy on your way to your first million and me, the old grizzled curmudgeonly northern doomsayer who is happy with a quiet life and a grand a week.

:wink:

Seriously though, I am only giving my opinions based on my own experience. In my contribution above I simply relate my own attitude with regards to my own business; I do not expect eveyone's situation to be the same.

As it is, I am busy enough with private clients who pay me big deposits and don't expect credit terms. I am about to close my order book for Christmas. :lol:

Cheers
Brad

Back