Bedside Table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can now see all the images, thanks Martin.

It looks very nice. I am currently in the process of making 2 bedside cabinets of my own at the moment. Partially made of Oak and partially Painted.

What finish did you use on your table?

I've used Osmo 3044 Raw on the Oak elements of mine.

20180413_183725.jpg
20180413_183845.jpg
20180413_183849.jpg

Attachments

• 20180413_183725.jpg
    20180413_183725.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 534
  • 20180413_183845.jpg
    20180413_183845.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 534
  • 20180413_183849.jpg
    20180413_183849.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 534
anyone using google photos might want to read this thread. Thanks to Charlie for jumping in and finding a solution.

Before starting with the build photos I think it is worth making these points. Firstly whilst the end product was a functional piece of furniture it is also a learning exercise. You'll find hand cut joints and dominos sitting side by side.

Secondly this was put together in the workshop of a full time furniture maker with access to a wide array of hand tools and machinery. At each stage I need to consider how to recreate at home without things like a bandsaw or planner thicknesser.

Everyone needs a plan, hopefully, this will answer any questions about dimensions and quantity of timber used.

Simple Technical Drawing
20180409_112834.jpg

Cutting List
20180409_114247.jpg

Attachments

• 20180409_112834.jpg
    20180409_112834.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 496
  • 20180409_114247.jpg
    20180409_114247.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 496
Distinterior":2xe04t3o said:
What finish did you use on your table? I've used Osmo 3044 Raw on the Oak elements of mine.

Osmo Polyx-Oil. I didn't make a note of which one but its definitely not the raw version as this is darker.

The Oak had been acclimatising in the workshop for a week or more so it was possible to select timber based on the cutting list. Some care was taken to find the most interesting boards for the top and drawer front.

20180409_120720.jpg

The process then was straight forward:-
  1. cut to length, either by hand or chop saw
  2. rip to width using bandsaw
  3. run through planner and then thicknesser

This is the only photo with me in it to prove I was really there:-

20180409_170016.jpg

The end result was a kit of parts for the next day.

20180409_183641.jpg

As a result of working through this process I've started looking for a secondhand bandsaw on the usual web sites because it was so versatile. It is unlikely, however, that a planner thicknesser will be bought any time soon so I'd be interested in how folks go about preparing this amount of stock without one, in particular how close to the final dimensions would you cut and rip to allow finishing with a hand plane?

Martin

Attachments

• 20180409_120720.jpg
    20180409_120720.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 445
  • 20180409_170016.jpg
    20180409_170016.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 445
  • 20180409_183641.jpg
    20180409_183641.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 445
martin.a.ball":3i59chk2 said:
It is unlikely, however, that a planner thicknesser will be bought any time soon so I'd be interested in how folks go about preparing this amount of stock without one

As a beginner, I've found this the biggest stumbling block with making furniture Martin. I don't have a p/t and have been thicknessing by hand, but unless that process really appeals to you it's hard work and uninteresting, I find. Trying to reduce a table top by 6 or 7 mm thickness takes me ages (I have a scrub plane as well as regular planes and keep tools sharp) and has really put me off. Getting wood planed and thicknessed would work if there was someone doing it near me but there isn't, so getting it done would involve a journey to select the wood, and a return journey to collect once it's ready. Hopefully you have more patience than me, or a yard that can prep the wood nearby!

martin.a.ball":14rggkk0 said:
I'd be interested in how folks go about preparing this amount of stock without one, in particular how close to the final dimensions would you cut and rip to allow finishing with a hand plane?

It's a good question.

I think there are really two answers. The first is in line with Chris's comments, hand thicknessing timber is really hard graft that quickly drains the romance from hobby woodworking. The internet is full of armchair warriors who have little practical experience but say that armed with a scrub plane you can briskly polish off dimensioning in short order. That's just nonsense. I trained in a workshop that didn't get electricity until the 60's, and for the best part of a year when training we could only use hand tools. I've built substantial pieces of hardwood furniture entirely by hand, and I've spoken to old boys who worked in the manual era; there's no dodging the fact that it's bloody tough going. However, you can do things to make it less gruelling. Work in clear pine or softer hardwoods like Cherry, choose modest projects no larger than your side table, select your timber with care and in person. Perhaps most importantly, learn from antique furniture and think how to utilise timbers of different thicknesses. For example, your side table could have the two side aprons and the back apron all in different thicknesses. Or if the plan called for 18mm thick timber for these components you could actually use 24mm. If you chamfer the underside of a top it doesn't really matter if it's 3/4" thick or 1" thick, you'll only see a uniform 1/2" band all the way around, so you could have two side tables with different thickness tops that would still look identical. Only accurately surface one face and one edge (paradoxically you usually choose the inside face and edge for this) then use these as your reference surfaces for cutting joints.

The second answer specifically addresses your question. I might be misreading you here but I get the impression you're thinking of thicknessing with a bandsaw. Bandsaw thicknessing is fraught with risk. Unless you're taking say a 34mm thick board down to an 18mm board (in which case you should take two thin cuts off each face, rather than one thick cut from a single face) you're usually better off using a hand plane. As a very approximate rule of thumb for moderate scale boards, you should allow at least 3 or 4mm from a rough sawn board to get down to your final thickness.

Finally, I realise and appreciate what an insurmountable roadblock thicknessing timber is for many hobbyist woodworkers. I suspect it's one of the main reasons so many people arrive on this forum full of enthusiasm, but then disappear within a year or two. And that's a shame. If anyone is in that position and lives in West Sussex, South Hampshire, or East Dorset then PM me. For the occasional moderate size project I'll be happy to machine your components to get you up and running.

Surfacing a board like this,
Dovetailing-88.jpg

Then thicknessing it like this,
Dovetailing-90.jpg

Takes easy seconds rather than exhausting hours.

Which then leaves you to do the clever work at your bench, like this,
Dovetailing-93.jpg

In order to produce something like this,
Table-End-001.jpg

If that were the reality of woodworking for more hobbyists I suspect the craft would be far more popular than it actually is.

Attachments

• Dovetailing-88.jpg
    Dovetailing-88.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 418
  • Dovetailing-90.jpg
    Dovetailing-90.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 418
  • Dovetailing-93.jpg
    Dovetailing-93.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 418
  • Table-End-001.jpg
    Table-End-001.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 418
Chris152":1mxe9p7p said:
Hopefully you have more patience than me, or a yard that can prep the wood nearby!

Totton Timber is relatively near by and they have a range of PAR timber. Its an option I'm considering for the next project depending on what they have in stock and price.

custard":1vlmgkgn said:
Work in clear pine or softer hardwoods like Cherry, choose modest projects no larger than your side table, select your timber with care and in person.

One thing I've already figured out is hand working whilst hugely satisfying eats time. I've already decided my next project will be small, possibly a box, so I can make progress at a reasonable rate, try some different timber and spend more time working on the accuracy of the joints.

custard":1quhzqy3 said:
I might be misreading you here but I get the impression you're thinking of thicknessing with a bandsaw. Bandsaw thicknessing is fraught with risk. Unless you're taking say a 34mm thick board down to an 18mm board (in which case you should take two thin cuts off each face, rather than one thick cut from a single face) you're usually better off using a hand plane. As a very approximate rule of thumb for moderate scale boards, you should allow at least 3 or 4mm from a rough sawn board to get down to your final thickness.

I was thinking more about length and width rather than thickness. The rails on the table were 120mm wide and had a generous 6mm or so on either side after being rough cut. This allowed for multiple passes on the planner to get a face edge and then multiple passes on the thicknesser to creep up on the end result leaving a fraction to be hand planed to remove the machine marks. I was wondering if you knew you had to do all the work by hand how much extra you would allow for a rough cut and your 3 or 4 mm answers that nicely.

A super table and a generous offer from Custard. Having had the privilege of building a similar piece using wood that he provided, I can certainly speak for the quality of his work - and his "offcuts"!

Adding a couple of points from my limited experience - it certainly is possible to get a timber merchant to thickness and plane hardwood, assuming that you aren't trying to do everything for the minimum cash. I've done so several times.
Alternatively, when I have used reclaimed wood from old furniture (which I especially enjoy) I was able to get suitable thicknesses relatively easily. Old drawers are a very useful source of decent sized bits of plain wood.

I was going to say much the same, once you’ve produced your design and cutting list then buy boards in Thicknessed from the yard. Still leaves you with the fun of cutting to width, length and joints. There are many small timber suppliers with in house machinists which are happy to provide timber to your list, you just have to have a good hunt around for small joinery shops and suppliers then take a case of beer and make friends with them. As custards generosity often reinforces, it’s often who you know not what you know that can be a huge advantage

A solution for many I believe is to look up a local Men’s Shed that is for woodworking. They often have the machines that you need and either don’t have the space or funds to buy. The other practical perspective is that there is often some real experts in the club who can help and support as needed. You can’t beat a group like minded people to help encourage and develop your interest.

its funny how life surprises you. I was showing my brother photos of the bedside table over the weekend and he mentioned that someone left a planner thicknesser buried in the back of his workshop. As he is a mechanic he never had any use for it, no idea what make but he says he'll dig it out and take a photo.

Back to the table, having roughed out all the components a start was made on the frame. The back rail uses a mortise and tenon but the tenon is really two tenons with a haunch between, I'm not sure of the correct name.

Mortises were marked and cut out, not easy to photograph but the different colours are for full depth and half depth. A test mortise was cut by hand but the final version was cut on the mortise machine.

20180410_132145.jpg

It was the first time I had used this style of marking gauge and found it helped with accuracy even though I inevitably nicked my finger on the blade rolling off the edges.

20180410_132201.jpg

The tenon face was cut on the bandsaw, the shoulder cut by hand to within 0.5mm and then taken to the knife line with a wide(ish) chisel. Final fettling was with a shoulder plane to get a nice tight fit. Note the R for right so the back rail is always put but the correct way round.

20180410_185416.jpg

Attachments

• 20180410_132145.jpg
    20180410_132145.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 502
  • 20180410_132201.jpg
    20180410_132201.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 502
  • 20180410_185416.jpg
    20180410_185416.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 502
The eagle eyed will have seen the side rails have dominos rather than mortise and tenons. This was partly to experience the domino cutter but also for speed. The two side rails went together in much less time than the back rail.

20180410_185239.jpg

Then it was time for a dry fit of the legs, back and side rails. The legs still need to be cut to final length at the top.

20180410_185147.jpg

Attachments

• 20180410_185239.jpg
    20180410_185239.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 498
  • 20180410_185147.jpg
    20180410_185147.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 498
Very nice , neat job, Martin. =D>
Did you have previous woodworking experience prior to taking the 5 day furniture course?
Either way, a fine table.

Back