Bed joints incl. images

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peppino97

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Would like your advice - I am trying to 'copy' and build a bed similar to this one:

Latitude--Walnut-Choc(Main).jpg

Basically this will just be an inverted-L frame with a hole in the middle where a slatted-bed base fits.

Now I am going to join together the vertical boards with these fixtures:

27105004.jpg

What would be your suggested methods to join together the horizontal boards please?

Thank you

Alex

sorry for the URL's.. just copy and paste without the at the front and back of the addre...w the pictures, DaveL with MOD hat on[/color]

As the underside of the horizontals won't be seen you could use Dowel & pin fixings, Worktop bolts with biscuits for alignment if the timber is thick enough or even pocket screws again with something for alignment.

One thing to watch with the vertical joint method you have proposed is that the long edges of the bed should be clear of the floor so that all the weight on them is transfered to the fixings as they need weight on them to pull the joint together.

Jason

Hmm: not much help. but I'll build one if anyone knows where the accessory sat on it is available.... :wink:

Shady":vue6uy44 said:
Hmm: not much help. but I'll build one if anyone knows where the accessory sat on it is available.... :wink:

Didn't think that lilac and pale blue blankets were your thing shady :lol:

Jason

Thanks for your comments,

I think I'm gonna make it a C-section instead of the inverted-L in the photo, such that I can put books in the C void.

And then joint everything with glue and dowels.

Will make rectangular panels which fit inside the C void, say at every 900mm, so as to resist the weight when someone tries to sit on the C.

Trying to detail the corners.

Just remember if you glue & dowel everything you may have a job getting it out of the workshop, up the stairs and into the bedroom :cry:

Jason

Since you are planing to use dowels. Use two or three at each horizontal joint but only glued to one side, with the portion sticking out sanded slightly smaller with bullet shaped tips, and a couple of these countertop connecters. A pair at each corner of the bed should be enough to resist the forces of sleepers that aren't. ](*,) :roll: =D>

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page. ... 43743&ap=1

You can also use table leaf pins at the corners if you don't want to use the dowels but it's a bit of an overkill.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page. ... 45&p=40145

I also feel that for this type of bed these next type of bed fasteners are a better choice for the vertical joints. The ones you have chosen rely on the side rails and supported matress pressing down on the head/footboards to stay locked. The platform bed normally has all four sides on the floor, which in this case may not proved enough down force to stay locked especially if the floor is uneven.

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page. ... 41269&ap=1

I used the LeeValley site to illustrate the hardware that I had in mind. You should be able to locate equivalents in your neck of the woods.

Thanks everyone for your hints and tips -- this forum is a great resource and source of inspiration.

Me as a novice did not even know that certain types of hardware even exist so it's great to read through , especially the archives.

Thank you once again.

Back