Beach/sea side wooden breakers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Esox Lucius

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone have and experience with the old wood sea defence breakers?

Is the wood good for anything after its been in and out of the sea i guess for many years?

Will it turn or will it be turned into planks for anything useful?

I have been offered some...all i got to do i collect it but i dont think i am capable of lifting even one section so its mighty big stuff.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Usually Greenheart or Purpleheart.

If greenheart it will be very bland - Hard Timber but give it a try - Expect it to dull your tools very quickly though

Rog

If greanheart, be very cautious of splinters and dust:

splinters go septic, cardiac and intestinal disorders, severe throat irritation

Splinters go septic, cardiac and intestinal disorders, severe throat irritation

The same applies for the Balau piles. If your going to rip Greenheart or Purpleheart your best bet is probably to find a local sawmill with a re-saw, it'll save your tools and if they've got a rack planer or moulder they'll be able to finish it for you too.

I know someone who dropped a section of Balau down his leg, as he did he graze his leg and got a number of splinters in it too. A day or two passed and he was taken to hospital and ended up having quite a bit of time off work, I think its safe to say that things could have got a lot worse if he'd have not gone to A&E when he did.

Ok..i did know they were called Groynes...thought some may be unsure what i was referring too.

I am unsure then what to do as cadiac and intestinal disorders dont sound too nice.

The Groynes are definately Greenheart.

Mmmmm....what to do.

Thanks all for the information though.

Mark

Re Greenheart,
The timber I used for my bench came from 8 foot 6" lengths of 15" X 15" Harbour pilings that were in the water for 130 years at least.
Five of them weighed over 2 tonnes! There was no more tha 1/8" of fuzz before getting to the rock hard timber that looked like it was cut the day before.
When I had it milled at a local Wood Mizer place he took one cut and then called me over to discuss a 'sharpening surcharge'!

The stuff eats planer knives and plane irons so count on a lot of sharpening. That said it takes a lovely fine finish

The splinters are evil and are nigh on impossible to get out until it goes manky! The dust is also terrible so mask up well and use good extraction.
Cheers,
Martin

Latest posts

Back