Sedgwick PT255

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Picalilli

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I was posting recently about a Charnwood w583 and people’s thoughts and have been turned in the direction of buying a used machine for my budget.

So, looking for some opinions/experience on the Sedgwick PT255. I’m looking at a used one near me that’s going for £1000 with a dust extractor included. Seller is open to offers and I’m going to view it and test it tomorrow evening.

I’ve never owned a PT before so wondering what I should be looking out for, what a reasonable offer would be for it? It seems to have been well looked after, even has the original manual still. Photo below.

I’m also wondering what recommendations people have for transport of these - it says it’s 165kg. I know you’re not supposed to lift by the tables and use a piece of timber through the thicknesser section with the table wound up? Is this a two man job? Will I need a tail lift? Alternatively, is arranging courier/pallet service a better option? It’s about 75 miles away from me. I’m UK based.

Any advice gladly received!

Attachments

• 606F1306-87CD-4A84-A440-F3081154CEE6.jpeg
    606F1306-87CD-4A84-A440-F3081154CEE6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Moving it much depends upon your physical capacities and ingenuity! You must of course consider both loading and unloading.

I’ve moved many machines, including a P/T of about the same weight, and my current one which is 500kg, by myself. I wouldn’t necessarily recommend that! But needs must…

It’s probably wise to speak to the seller about access at their and, as well as their ability/willingness to assist, be that with manual handling, use of lifting equipment or facilitating collecting by a third party.

If you cannot get a tail lift van, then next step would be two men, scaffold planks, a bogey and a small trailer. Dont forget lots of straps and block of would to help brace/hold it in place.
Looks nice for £1k as well. Best of luck.

Colin

That looks like a nice little thing (y)

I think one negative about them is the outfeed table doesn't adjust which can make it slightly trickier changing knives, also not sure if the ESTA knife system that you were talking about will fit it for the same reason. I wouldn't let that put you off though as they are a good machine.

I moved my old Axminster planer by myself and think that weighed about 150kg, managed to get it in and out of my van by walking it up some long planks but seem to remember it wasn't much fun!

Last edited:
There is no bridge guard shown in the photo, I presume it has one, if not that would probably knock the price down a bit?

I’ve asked about the guard and apparently he thinks he still has it - but yes, without it that would be a lower offer. I’ll see how I feel about it when I go and see it, but to be honest if it seems in good condition and I get a good vibe it’s been looked after I don’t think I’ll try to haggle too much. Maybe offer £900?

Main issue right now is getting help loading it into a van! Tail lift van hire is double the price of a standard Peugeot expert van, so probably go with the sedan chair method and strap it into one of those. Maybe get a better idea of the weight when I go to see it.

It is a fairly old example, the same thing has been made in two tone blue since the green livery and in now being produced in blue and white.
They are a classic with strong castings and last a lifetime.
The dust hood is a diy copy. The original metal one is still available from the mfr and will set you back over £160 delivered. I would use that as a negotiating point.
Things to check :
With the machine unplugged, take off the back cover (just a few machine screws) and check the condition of the chain and the sprockets. If they are worn like on an old bike, that has a cost to rectify. I don't know the current cost of 3 sprockets and a chain for Sedgwick but I'd want £100 off. Sprockets wear by getting sharper points and wider U shapes so the chain is less snug on the sprocket.
Unhook the chain from the motor and feel how the motor spindle turns for any sign that the motor bearings need replacing. Put the chain back.
Check the 2 belts for wear but assume you'll need to replace them anyway. They are fairly cheap.
You need to try and assess the big bearings at each end of the cutter block by turning it by hand and again under power. Feel for smoothness when turning by hand and listen when under power. Bearings can be replaced but it's then a fairly major overhaul.
Likewise, examine the in (serrated) and out (smooth) feed rollers. For damage, for being clogged with resin (the infeed needs regular cleaning), and the smooth plain bronze bearings that these run it.
Look at the edge of the infeed table as it leads into the cutter block. Sometimes this gets damaged by a blade coming out of the cutter block. If there's any serious damage it kills the value of the machine. Think down to £200 or £300 max because it would cost a good few hundreds to have it repaired. From the photo this looks pristine so nothing to worry about.
I know what I'm doing so I would take out the blades to check the screws and threads of the wedges that lock the blades in place. These are hex socket screws and though easy enough to replace, you have to be able to get them out. If someone has rounded out a socket tightening a screw, it means drilling and extracting the screw :-(
Try the height adjustment mechanisms to see if they move at all, stiffly or smoothly.
Look at the "stripes" in the upper and lower table castings. They will give you an idea of wear to the tables. These machines are durable so there shouldn't be signs of uneven / concentrated wear. From the photo, the top castings look fine.
If you have a good quality 1 metre steel straightedge, use it to check if the infeed and outfeed tables are parallel or "coplanar". This can be adjusted but it's useful to know whether the machine is right when you're buying it. If not, it suggests the owner doesn't know how to adjust it or doesn't do accurate work with it so is unaware or doesn't care.

A good thing about the machine is the paint looks original and very good for its age. This suggests it hasn't had a cruel life. I would clean this but wouldn't repaint it. Given the age I'd expect the sprockets etc to be worn and need replacing. I'm not impressed with the dust hood.
I'd not normally pay more than £700-800 for an old PT like this but it looks a good example from the photos and with the maintenance jobs done it will be a better machine than any new Chinese one of the size.

See this thread for a full renovation of a larger Sedgwick but of the same vintage.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/sedgwick-mb-planer-thicknesser-full-refurbishment.136008/
The PT255 has only one motor compared to the MB's two so it's a little more complex despite being smaller. Original older motors were grey painted crompton parkinson units and very high quality. If this has been replaced by something else, you want to know why.

If you buy it, download the user manual from the web first and look at the instructions about lifting it. Don't move it by lifting the ends of the tables !!!

HTH.

It is a fairly old example, the same thing has been made in two tone blue since the green livery and in now being produced in blue and white.
They are a classic with strong castings and last a lifetime.
The dust hood is a diy copy. The original metal one is still available from the mfr and will set you back over £160 delivered. I would use that as a negotiating point.
Things to check :
With the machine unplugged, take off the back cover (just a few machine screws) and check the condition of the chain and the sprockets. If they are worn like on an old bike, that has a cost to rectify. I don't know the current cost of 3 sprockets and a chain for Sedgwick but I'd want £100 off. Sprockets wear by getting sharper points and wider U shapes so the chain is less snug on the sprocket.
Unhook the chain from the motor and feel how the motor spindle turns for any sign that the motor bearings need replacing. Put the chain back.
Check the 2 belts for wear but assume you'll need to replace them anyway. They are fairly cheap.
You need to try and assess the big bearings at each end of the cutter block by turning it by hand and again under power. Feel for smoothness when turning by hand and listen when under power. Bearings can be replaced but it's then a fairly major overhaul.
Likewise, examine the in (serrated) and out (smooth) feed rollers. For damage, for being clogged with resin (the infeed needs regular cleaning), and the smooth plain bronze bearings that these run it.
Look at the edge of the infeed table as it leads into the cutter block. Sometimes this gets damaged by a blade coming out of the cutter block. If there's any serious damage it kills the value of the machine. Think down to £200 or £300 max because it would cost a good few hundreds to have it repaired. From the photo this looks pristine so nothing to worry about.
I know what I'm doing so I would take out the blades to check the screws and threads of the wedges that lock the blades in place. These are hex socket screws and though easy enough to replace, you have to be able to get them out. If someone has rounded out a socket tightening a screw, it means drilling and extracting the screw :-(
Try the height adjustment mechanisms to see if they move at all, stiffly or smoothly.
Look at the "stripes" in the upper and lower table castings. They will give you an idea of wear to the tables. These machines are durable so there shouldn't be signs of uneven / concentrated wear. From the photo, the top castings look fine.
If you have a good quality 1 metre steel straightedge, use it to check if the infeed and outfeed tables are parallel or "coplanar". This can be adjusted but it's useful to know whether the machine is right when you're buying it. If not, it suggests the owner doesn't know how to adjust it or doesn't do accurate work with it so is unaware or doesn't care.

A good thing about the machine is the paint looks original and very good for its age. This suggests it hasn't had a cruel life. I would clean this but wouldn't repaint it. Given the age I'd expect the sprockets etc to be worn and need replacing. I'm not impressed with the dust hood.
I'd not normally pay more than £700-800 for an old PT like this but it looks a good example from the photos and with the maintenance jobs done it will be a better machine than any new Chinese one of the size.

See this thread for a full renovation of a larger Sedgwick but of the same vintage.
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/sedgwick-mb-planer-thicknesser-full-refurbishment.136008/
The PT255 has only one motor compared to the MB's two so it's a little more complex despite being smaller. Original older motors were grey painted crompton parkinson units and very high quality. If this has been replaced by something else, you want to know why.

If you buy it, download the user manual from the web first and look at the instructions about lifting it. Don't move it by lifting the ends of the tables !!!

HTH.
Thanks so much for such detailed advice and feedback. I will keep all of this in mind when viewing.

There is another machine that seems almost identical but maybe slightly more worn that has a different power switch - would you say this was older or newer? Just wondering whether this is the older Parkinson one you referred to…

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/186418837638844/

I don't do facebook so the link in your post above doesn't display anything for me.
My point about (Brook) Crompton Parkinson concerned the motor. In the photo below, there are two, but the PT255 will have just one like the (opened) right hand one of these two and carrying the red and silver nameplate.
112599-C2B06B72-7719-4298-AE5D-4AAA56FA0404.jpeg

I can't honestly comment on the plastic switch enclosure (called a "starter") as these are so often replaced over the life of a machine I don't know what an original one looks like. A Crompton Parkinson branded switch has a good chance of being original. The horrid white plastic mains cable is not. Someone added that later.

Ah, I see - sorry, misread your post. I thought you’d meant that this machine looked to have had a replaced motor, but can see now you were just saying to check it hasn’t been.

All of this is hugely useful advice and I’m really grateful. I feel like I am going in knowing what to look for now. Thanks so much.

The machine on Facebook has the original starter, plastic box with buttons, the other has had it replaced with a new starter. Both machines look to be in good condition. I think the Facebook machine is the slightly older machine.…..but I can’t see if the other has the lever next to the thicknesser.

The main ‘issue’ these machines have is the flat belt doesn’t run true on the large crowned wheel when the bearings get worn. It’s a straight forward fix, the sintered bronze bearings need replacing. These are a press fit, can be done with a vice.

In my experience, in general all green Sedgwicks (MB and PT) really need a strip down and all the bearings replacing. The grease in the spindle bearings will have degenerated and the bearings are more than likely worn. The infeed and outfeed rollers run in sintered bushes which will be worn, and the motor bearings are also best replaced.

This is standard ‘maintenance’ a bit like changing your wheel bearings and cam shaft belt on your car after so many miles. The Sedgwicks last for multigenerational use with this done, unlike most modern machines. To do it needs some tools, but is straight forward. If you tinker with cars or motor bikes you should be able to do it. If you’re not mechanically minded, I would not buy a green machine and look for a more modern original painted light blue and dark blue or better still white and dark blue machine. these in general will not need any work.

I would not buy a refurbished machine unless you know the quality of the work of the person who has done it. @Sideways and I have seen a few ‘refurbished’ machines that are worse than if they had done nothing! Unfortunately there are a few people trying to make a quick bit of cash selling machines this way. Equally there are some good guys doing a good job.

@Sideways @deema thanks both for this really helpful advice. I’m not averse to having a tinker changing bearings etc…not massively experienced with it but have some basic mechanical experience. I recently stripped down pillar drill and changed bearings etc. I found it an enjoyable and useful thing to do, as you end up with a better understanding of the machine.

If I do take the plunge with this machine I hope you won’t mind me coming back here and picking your brains on it!

I have seen the newer blue machines but they are mostly out of my budget tbh.

You will need a set of pullers which I assume you will have, you will also need an engineers clock and stand or a OneWay gauge. There is one expensive bearing in the spindle, all the rest are reasonable priced bearing. If you look at the thread on restoring the MB it’s almost a rinse and repeat of everything apart from the motors. If you feel confident to do everything we did, then go for it. You can buy the sprockets if necessary from Sedgwick, but they are very expensive as they are not jelly bean parts.
I personally think the older green machines had better, thicker castings than the more modern machines. These would have been British made casting, I think they have been thinned them down over the years, and old cast iron tends to be better quality. We like restoring the green machines, they make superb machines when finished.

I have a gear puller (cheap, hilka brand) - but not an engineers clock. Both seem cheap enough anyway. Keeping my fingers crossed it’s in good condition.

I took the plunge and have bought it. I tested it running and checked the various things I was advised to. The sprockets actually look okay to my untrained eye. Will be picking it up next weekend I think, so may post some photos then and ask for any advice. It seemed to run well though and seems to have seen little use.

The motor was a Brompton I think? The guy I’m buying it from has only had it a year so didn’t have much knowledge of its previous life. Comes with some spare blades and the extractor though so not too bad.

The extraction hood seems fine but maybe I can since a replacement or build something better.

It’s a dark hole you’ve jumped into, addictive, and the start of a love affair with old iron! Another lost sole 🤪

Ha - thanks. Really looking forward to getting it now!

Just in terms of getting it, would it be doable with 2 reasonably strong men, one each side using the scaffold board through the thicknesser method? Or is it a 4 man lift? I just need to get it into the back of a Peugeot expert, so not too high off the ground. Can get the van right up to the garage it’s coming out of and going into as well.

Wewould take the tables off to reduce the weight, and it’s still a dead weight of manually lifting it. I’d personally want 4 people to lift it safely with wooden planks in the Thicknesser. A Luton with a tail lift saves a lot of contributions to the swear jar, or an engine hoist / scissor lift pallet truck.

The alternative is to fully strip it down. It doesn’t take long, and then it’s an easy two man lift.

Back