Bargain of a new toy. Finally have a pillar drill.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAUL_TDI

Established Member
Reaction score
I say finally as if I had been searching a while but in reality it's been a few weeks but felt longer with a few disappointing outcomes on auctions. Mainly because I was previously bidding on well presented examples.

How ever I stumbled across this-

Merely described as pillar drill, no longer required. With a typo of pilar in the title, me being the avid ebayer I always search a couple of a typos too.

So went to pick it up, fella kindly swept off the kilo of saw dust it was under. Personally I clean up an item before even listing but thats why my items sell better.

After giving it a clean it now looks more like this-

Just waiting for the chuck key to come now. Very pleased and for only 25 quid and a 70 mile round trip.

Congratulations! Quite possibly a steal at £25.00, and it's cleaned up nice.
I googled it and one sold on fleabay, a couple of weeks ago for £120.00 and about the same condition
Regards Rodders

blackrodd":rqnc74ff said:
Congratulations! Quite possibly a steal at £25.00, and it's cleaned up nice.
I googled it and one sold on fleabay, a couple of weeks ago for £120.00 and about the same condition
Regards Rodders

haha, I did the same and found that one that sold on the buy it now. I couldn't see a pic though?

The only thing I'm not sure on is how to tilt the table. it has measurements at the base where it meets the uprights but it won't turn, there's one bolt on the underside but thats cross threaded.

It took some tinkering to get the rise and fall winder going as the handle was about to fall off and there was alot of sawdust in the mechanism. Still not perfectly smooth, but it will do.

Cheers.

Good buy.

PAUL_TDI":orozhucb said:
The only thing I'm not sure on is how to tilt the table. it has measurements at the base where it meets the uprights but it won't turn, there's one bolt on the underside but thats cross threaded.

I think these are the instructions and your cross threaded bolt might be the one for the adjustment:-
http://www.sealey.co.uk/pdfs/instructions/GDM92B.pdf?

Section 6, fig 2.

Snap. Except I paid £45 with a much longer round trip. A very robust solidly built drill. You won't be disappointed. Had mine about 10yrs.

Cheers nolegs, was searching there site for archived instructions for it, didn't think to read the newer models which are practically the same with emergency stop button. Ouch just noticed the weight on that manual, no wonder its bruised my forearm carrying it down the blokes gorgeous oak staircase, little bit nervous about scratching it!

Well my lad is off to see the grandparents tomorrow so I'll get out to the workshop and have a proper nosey at that dodgy bolt, maybe remove, retap and add a new bolt, as this seems to be a small length of thread with a nut.

My dad has the model down from this I think which he got new probably about 10 years back so I know it will do me a good turn! Just thank ful of the sellers bad listing skills. No doubt I could list it with better pics and info and get over £50 easily.

PAUL_TDI":31ca8fty said:
Cheers nolegs, was searching there site for archived instructions for it, didn't think to read the newer models which are practically the same with emergency stop button. Ouch just noticed the weight on that manual, no wonder its bruised my forearm carrying it down the blokes gorgeous oak staircase, little bit nervous about scratching it!

Well my lad is off to see the grandparents tomorrow so I'll get out to the workshop and have a proper nosey at that dodgy bolt, maybe remove, retap and add a new bolt, as this seems to be a small length of thread with a nut.

My dad has the model down from this I think which he got new probably about 10 years back so I know it will do me a good turn! Just thank ful of the sellers bad listing skills. No doubt I could list it with better pics and info and get over £50 easily.

id give you £50 for it :lol:

haha, no chance, soon as I have that chuck key shes being put to work. Got to earn it's keep!

If anyone can make it out in the pics a name/description on what bit is in the chuck at the moment would be interesting?

Hah never even knew of such a tool, I bought some suitable thickness dowel from B&Q to plug the holes in my bench top.

Excellent! thanks for the video nolegs, I thought there must be a way round it. Might make a new tank tomorrow now.

Didn't have a drill bit to hand but allen key and screwdriver worked a treat to remove the plug cutter.

And thus stage 2 cleansing begun....

Layers of crud removed revealed there was writing on the chuck!

Whilst turning and levering out with some niddle nose pliers the offending item was removed-

So it now turns but due to the thread in the "arm"(?) being damaged I can't tighten it easily or with any confidence in the table not moving, so I have tightened the arm fixing nut up so it doesn't move.

I moved the belts to a lower speed of about 850 rpm to favour glass drilling speed but the belts don't seem to run nice and straight like I thought they would, is this normal or should they run straight when following the instructions on gearing?

I also bent out the latch on the lid slightly so it doesn't rattle like crazy during use.

The winder for the rise and fall action is behaving better now, after going up and down several times a handful of sawdust has now fallen out of the winder gearbox.

I might of gone a little OCD on it, but it does look pretty now! I also moved it to a metal filing cabinet for a more usable height, I think I'll create a stand for it eventually.

I think you have a bargain there. I have a Sealey GDM120A 16B, which is almost the same but has 16 speeds. I bought it in 1991 for £190 and it has given me good service. If you would like a copy of the instruction manual please send me a PM.

PAUL_TDI":20da5tz9 said:
I moved the belts to a lower speed of about 850 rpm to favour glass drilling speed but the belts don't seem to run nice and straight like I thought they would, is this normal or should they run straight when following the instructions on gearing?

I also bent out the latch on the lid slightly so it doesn't rattle like crazy during use.

The pulleys should all be as level as possible, the back one look extremely low from that photo. Try raising the motor up to see if you can line everything up and use a straight edge over all three to get them as square and true as possible. Its fiddly to get right but worth doing

For the rattling top you can put some of that self adhesive foam weather sealing round the edge of the pulley cover to stop it rattling so much. You should get less vibration once those pulleys are made square though.

I fiddled about the motor on the mounting plate this morning and it is as high as possible. The only thing I can do to raise it up now is to put a spacer on the bolts holding it to the hinging mechanism. Unless the pulley is mounted too low on the motors output shaft?

Oh no the lid of the pulley case was rattling because it would just flap about, so now the catch on the base of the unit actually secures to the lid, no rattling when running. I can see rubber mounts between the pulley case base and the top of the drill body.

The pulleys should line up, as Skippy has said. I think you need to slacken the set screw on the motor pulley (Items 81 & 79 respectively on the parts list & assembly diagram), raise the motor pulley until you get a good line-up, then re-tighten),

Attachments

• IMG_2471C.jpg
    IMG_2471C.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 40
Yep the motor pulley was to blame, the previous owner/builder of the drill screwed it on too far, the set screw didn't even meet with the shaft cut out.

I wrestled the motor off the machine to get better access to the pulley and have now unscrewed, matched up the pulley and shaft cut out and re tightened everything.

Voila...

Thanks for the help.

Annoying one of the 3 arms is loose due to a bit of there base snapping off, not sure if I did this in transit, don't think there's an odd bit of metal in my boot. Typically it's the one that ends up in the position that you want to pull on, so might need to repair that with some instant metal or maybe resin putty.

Latest posts

Back