Which floor standing pillar drill?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty much everything Meddings has made has been for the industrial sector so you can't really go too far wrong with the name. I think that particular machine is one of the late 90s / early 2000s models. Looks looked after as there isn't an "arc of misery" in the table from some numpty drilling holes straight through the workpiece into the table. It does look like the rack has broken on the pillar though, but I suspect Meddings may be able to help you find a replacement, they're usually pretty good with their older stuff and are pretty helpful from what I've been told.

Trevanion":29lnedpm said:
Pretty much everything Meddings has made has been for the industrial sector so you can't really go too far wrong with the name. I think that particular machine is one of the late 90s / early 2000s models. Looks looked after as there isn't an "arc of misery" in the table from some numpty drilling holes straight through the workpiece into the table. It does look like the rack has broken on the pillar though, but I suspect Meddings may be able to help you find a replacement, they're usually pretty good with their older stuff and are pretty helpful from what I've been told.

Thanks Trevanion, any idea of the specs? I'm after something about 1/2hp. I laughed at "arc of misery" haha!! Sounds like a black metal band...

I think that's an L model. I'm not sure what the power of the motor would be, I've seen some with 1/3HP and some with 3/4HP motors.

Arc of misery, arc of shame, the smile of incompetence... :lol:

Trevanion":3hnpe6gg said:
I think that's an L model. I'm not sure what the power of the motor would be, I've seen some with 1/3HP and some with 3/4HP motors.

Thanks again, waiting to hear back from the seller about any play in the quill etc. Fingers crossed, this is the last thing I need to decide on. I've chosen my extraction, table saw, bandsaw, p/t and a few new hand tools (a new scraper burnisher being one of them since my scrapers are too hard for the one I have!) so this is taking up all of my brains RAM from when I wake up to when I go to bed. Just waiting for the right one to come up, searching at least 20 times a day! It's totally frying my head. I'm on the verge of just buying a (swearword) SIP or something... There are a fair few down Englandshire but the thought of driving a 14 hour round trip in a transit isn't very appealing...

AndyT":3paxys5d said:
Looking at the Elliott, I see that the lowest speed is only 36 rpm. I would expect rather a lot of torque at that speed!
Is this sort of very low gearing something you only get on old professional kit?
A few drills like the Elliot use a geared head as a final reduction for very low speed drilling in metal - as you correctly identify, the torque is too great to make belt drives practical. You can still get geared head drills at the more industrial end of the market - modern Meddings etc.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

There's a fobco for sale, I've messaged the chap and he says when the quill is fully extended theres a little play in it. How easy/expensive is this to fix? Cheers.

Trevanion":3f3ba6fh said:

They replied with a picture of the motor and its 250w. How easy is it to upgrade that motor? I have no idea what sort to look for or buy and any help would be greatly appreciated, as is all the help already received :)

Screenshot_20200304_085046.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200304_085046.jpg
    Screenshot_20200304_085046.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 127
First try it with the original motor, you may be surprised how powerful a 1/3HP motor can be especially with pulley reduction to slow speed with high torque. If it hasn’t got the guts to run the forstner bits that you plan to it wont be too complex to replace the motor with a more powerful one.

Trevanion":29j6pu0z said:
First try it with the original motor, you may be surprised how powerful a 1/3HP motor can be especially with pulley reduction to slow speed with high torque. If it hasn’t got the guts to run the forstner bits that you plan to it wont be too complex to replace the motor with a more powerful one.

Thank you yet again. I've seen a warco wm 30 I may buy. Seems its a drilling/milling machine. As long as it's good for drilling wood I think I'll end up going for that. Seems a very well made machine...

So my drill arrives on Monday! Decided on a used Meddings I saw on ebay, and after some haggling the seller replaced the chuck for a nice keyless one, got it palleted up and sent up to me here in Glasgow.

He fabricated a new table for it, it's already on single phase and it has around 0.04mm run out, which is fine by me :)

I was wondering if anyone had any info on what model this is? How old it may be?

Thanks for all the previous advice and points to think about, it helped me a great deal!

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg