Bandsaw Tyres

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jock

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I have posted before asking advice on bandsaws and tyres ...the information you have shared has been amazing .

Id just like to ask , WHY would Bandsaw rubber tyres melt in the first place ? is it because the blade has been
heating up too much ? or is it friction caused by the tension being wrong ?

Ive ordered new tyres seeing how my idea of using leather belts didnt work :-( and id really like to try
and use the bandsaw without the new tyres melting on the first cut. Any advice is gratefully received.

my bandsaw is a DeWalt 876 - not the best bandsaws in the world but sadly all i can afford right now.

Thanks .

Are you sure that the original tyres melted due to heat? Some types of rubber go sticky as part of natural decay - bit like perishing.

I have read that sticky rubber can be hardened by rubbing in 'flowers of sulphur' which is a similar process as vulcanising.

hth

Bob

Hi Bob ..

Yeh the rubber was smelly , it was eventually dripping from the peice i was cutting , going round with the blade...
when i stopped cutting to check the balde etc it became jammed in the peice as the rubber set.

im not sure why it melted the rubber , but something was seriously wrong.

Im new to using these machines so set up and tension of the blade is all something i need to learn.

cheers for your reply.

I can't really imagine why the blade was getting hot enough to melt the tyres.

Was it cutting well at the time?
Usually heat is only generated when the blade stops cutting due to being blunt or is binding in the cut. As the blade is so long relative to the thickness of the workpiece, the blade cools by the time it comes round again.

I suggest that when you fit the new tyres, you also put on a new blade and reset the guides.

Steve Maskery's DVD 'the Compleat Bandsaw' is well worth a look to make sure everything is set up properly

there is a trailer here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v2udCG6HQw

Good Luck

Bob

Thanks guys ...ill get the DVD at some point , just cant afford it right now sadly .

Yeh the blade was brand new , it was cutting well , allthough im sure the guides are needing re set too.
Theres loads to learn tho...
The DVD is the best idea im sure...when i get some extra chas ill treat myself to that.

thanks for the replys.

jock.

Back