Bandsaw shoot out ..Axminster hbs250 or record bs250

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaci

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all I can't decide just of info and pictures so I thought you guys who actually have them will be better to ask.
Which bandsaw should I buy , thelectric Axminster hbs250 or record power bs250 with stand both the same price, so which do I go For?.

The Record will come with a 5 year warranty I believe, do you get the same on the Axi?

bandsaw buying is like car buying, a cheap small model is extremely basic.
If you can afford a slightly bigger one (350), than in my own experience at least, you will find it much more fun to drive.

My 250 caused me so much trouble that it went in less than a year. My 350 (after some very minor teething troubles) will be with me untill i can no longer work it.

My advice is to buy the one you just cant quite afford, wand within a very short time you will very glad you did.

250 model is the tops yes I'd like a bigger one (wouldn't we all ) but another 200 is out of the question. I've now found a CHARNWOOD model so now it's even more of a decision which one ???
Record power bs250
Axminster hbs250
Charnwood 250

Theres not a lot to choose between them, if you look closely and ignore the colours, they are basically the same machine.
Record scores well on its guarantees, axminster scores well on its customer service. The charnwood is very rarely mentioned anywhere though.
Personally, axminster.
(there, thatll get you a few record recommendations now)

I would suggest Record Power, not to be contrary to other posters because I also value Axy's customer service and have many of their tools. But that 5 year warranty is really very desirable on these cheap bandsaws because I'm afraid you should have the expectation that it will go wrong. These machines are made to a price in Chiwanese factories and then badged with the colours of the Western distributors so in other words they're usually the exact same machine, literally with a different paint job/branding but from the self same factory.

The materials are poor quality and specifically, the quality control is atrocious and therefore you can end up with a lemon or a half decent one and there's no way of managing that uncertainty because far eastern QC is notorious for poor consistency.

Therefore, assume it's going to break and be happy in the knowledge you're safe for 5 years. Record Power's customer service is also good in my experience and I have their BS400 bandsaw.

My reading of the Charnwood brand is poor and that's based on anecdotal evidence entirely on this forum. In other words, we have been regaled with tales of woe from owners from time to time. There are a few that defend the brand too so its not all doom and gloom but on balance, my impression has not been positive based on feedback here.

Apart from anything else, both Axy and RP have far more bandwidth, more dealers, bigger network etc so service is probably more accessible.

Thank you bob for that info, I am steering towards the RP version as you say the 5yr guarantee is the deal breaker.
Grant

I've had the Record BS250 for a couple of years now and I've always been very happy with it. It should give perfectly acceptable results if you take the time to set it up well, fit a good quality blade (Tuffsaws) and take the cut at a gentle pace.
Best bet is to buy it from a show where Record Power are exhibiting, for a better price.
The 5 year guarantee is nice to have just in case.

+ for Record Power, I bought a second hand 350 from a member on here and its been a joy to use, able to cut 2mm off a 100mm block of oak without any problem, would not hesitate to replace with the same if I was unfortunate enough to loose it.

Mike

Thank you all for your advise I'm going to stick with record it's just a shame that they don't have a spot light on, now that would be a good upgrade.
Grant

I have the Axminster 250 and it's good. It's even better with a decent blade and increasing the speed to the second speed option. However if mine died today I'd be shopping for a bigger more powerful one tomorrow. I use it all the time, it's my go to saw for so much. Just a bigger table with longer mitre fence would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My RP250 is serving me well, but don't put anything thicker than 50mm thick through it. I would have a larger one but don't have the room.

John

For the spot light issue I use an Ikea £10 flexible LED light.

e34ea814b025072e016b4dcb2883078b.jpg

I also use one on my pillar drill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm off to ikea,no I'm not what am i thinking I'll send the wife I'm sure she won't mind some more cushions and rugs lol

Back