Bandsaw selection

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ploppy

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a mid size bandsaw, and would like some feedback on my shortlist.
Could you let me know your thoughts on any of the following?

Record BS300X
Metabo/Electra Beckum BAS317
Dewalt 876
Axminster AWESBS

Well, I bought my record 300x 3 years ago, it came with 4 spare blades and an Alan holtham dvd (most helpful and instructive) the wheelkit is espescially helpful if you have a small workshop/shed like mine, however, I won't be using their blades again, rubbish imoh.
regards,

Rich.

Hi Ploppy,

I bought this one recently http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-AWEFSBB-Bandsaw-580417.htm

That is the Axminster AWEFSBB for those who can't be bothered to look :wink: I've put it up on blocks as it's a little low for me but very impressed, esspecially for the price. This one has a bit more power than the one you're looking at, but it's only about £60 more!! To get the same power but slightly more size capacity than mine you have to spend almost double :shock:

Hope this helps,

Richard

Hi Ploppy
I have the Record 300X and well pleased with it, I was recommended to get some `Dragon` blades from folk off this forum and have been very pleased with. I`ve just cut some bits of oak worktop to size for some segmented bowls I`m planning and must have cut 1/16" thick slices off them clean as a whistle. Would buy same model again no probs.
Cheers
Steve

The two common pieces of advise seem to be:

- throw the blades away and get new ones.

- Figure out what you need and then buy the next model up or you will be kicking yourself in 6 months time.

- Figure out what you need and then buy the next model up or you will be kicking yourself in 6 months time.

good advice this.........you need to look closely at what you want it for.

I know of somebody with the record, being used for cutting turning blanks, as far as I can tell he is very impressed.

Steve

Another vote for the Record, and no complaints about the Record own blade, it does what I would expect of a blade of its spec.

Cheers Mike

I've got an old elektra beckum 315. It's fairly cheap and nasty in terms of the fence and the table adjustment. Despite this it cuts very straight with a new dure edge blade. The only reason I'd change it is for a bandsaw with greated depth of cut.

Dave

Another point to consider with Record Power kit is that it all comes with a five-year guarrentee - nobody else comes even close to that! :)

Hi Mike
Did you sort that table adjustment out on your Record bandsaw?. I think it was the table you wondered about??. The memory`s not what it was :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve
The table was just a bit stiff in the end, it has eased up through use and over time.

Cheers Mike

Another plus for Record, they know about and understand customer service.

I must also echo the other comments, buy a bigger one than you think you need, I didn't first time! a costly mistake.

Thanks guys for all the advice, it seems as though the record machine is top of the list at the moment! Shame that I haven't heard from anybody with the dewalt or the electra beckum 317 as it would have been nice to have a full span of objective comments. However, it seems as though the blades are different things to different people. I think I will just have to try the blade that comes with the machine and see how it copes. I did change the blades on my last machine, a delta benchtop to the axminster blades and they worked a treat.

Cheers

Ploppy

ploppy":23o1319x said:
Thanks guys for all the advice, it seems as though the record machine is top of the list at the moment! Shame that I haven't heard from anybody with the dewalt or the electra beckum 317 as it would have been nice to have a full span of objective comments. However, it seems as though the blades are different things to different people. I think I will just have to try the blade that comes with the machine and see how it copes. I did change the blades on my last machine, a delta benchtop to the axminster blades and they worked a treat.

Cheers

Ploppy

I'm currently using a 317 and will be changing it out for a machine with larger capacity

I have used this machine for cutting bowl blanks in allsorts - oak - tulip -
sycamore - the list go's on , with no probs

It's also been used for re-sawing various boards, again no probs

All done with Elektra beckum blades

Cam type release for blade change , easy guide adjusters

Decent little machine , it may look a little plasticy but it certainly does the job

If you haven't committed yet check metabo for deals on this machine -

METABO BAS317 BANDSAW PACKAGE WITH KS210 MITRE SAW @ £339

Salvage

Thanks for that! I haven't commited as yet as I am one of those who like all the facts and to see the whole picture. I am torn between the 317 and the record 300 whilst virtually eliminating the axminster and the de walt.

Regards

Ploppy

Back