Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Balls !!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
Not an expression of exasperation - it is a summary of my activity

Thought I'd go for a bowl of them as an alternative to the more standard bowl of fruit.

I particularly like the yew ones.

They are fantastically tactile and compel the "fiddling with"

What do you think?

Woodchips2

Established Member
Reaction score
They look lovely Colin and much more practical than a bowl of fruit eg a game of marbles, carpet bowls etc. My grandchildren would love them!

Regards Keith

mike s

Established Member
Reaction score
did you cheat and use one of those sphere turning jigs??
if not, you have a lot of skill and patience!

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind comments

It appears I cheated as I did use a ball turning tool, pivoting around fixed centre to cut the ball.

But if you can imagine a between centre turning you are left with a central bar to get rid of.

Having turned the balls it is removed from the lathe and cut on the band saw into individual balls.

I then clamp between a turned chuck piece and another piece which sits over the top of my tailstock to hold the balls at 90 degrees and then turn off the nibs. If you had a hollow tail centre you could turn a simpler piece. jonzjob showed a simple set in the thread about the Lazy Susan here not-so-lazy-susan-t53706-30.html

Ball turning tool

Solution to turn off nibs

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
Lovely. Never before have I wanted to fondle another man's balls so much.

Si.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, S France. Now NW Wilts, UK
Nice bowl :mrgreen:

Balls ain't arf bad neiver :roll: Look good really, well very good if I'm 'onest!

The jig you made for turning the knibs off is about the same as the one I did init. But I didn't cheat :twisted: It also has the advantage that you don't even have to stop the lathe to put the next one in..

I'm a bit worried about Knappers though :eek: :eek:

Edit : - I just had a look back at the photo of your jig and see that you have a set of O'Donnel jaws too. Good ain't they!

Wood spoiler

Established Member
Reaction score
Jonzjob":1t2tnngh said:
Nice bowl :mrgreen:

Balls ain't arf bad neiver :roll: Look good really, well very good if I'm 'onest!

The jig you made for turning the knibs off is about the same as the one I did init. But I didn't cheat :twisted: It also has the advantage that you don't even have to stop the lathe to put the next one in..

I'm a bit worried about Knappers though :eek: :eek:

Edit : - I just had a look back at the photo of your jig and see that you have a set of O'Donnel jaws too. Good ain't they!
Sadly I had to stop between each ball because the "over the tailstock" I had to make of necessity, is a bit loose, so each one has to be centered and clamped. Your version is more efficient, but I didn't have a hollow tailstock centre. But in services to turners everywhere between us we have "educamated" the masses innit!

And yes John - all the best Turners have the O'Donnel jaws!

Latest posts