Axminster heavy goods delivery, two week's wait usual?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Kitchener

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered a couple of machines a week ago, and rang today to find out when they were coming, and was told another week. I know they give themselves plenty of leeway on the website, but am still surprised that it would take so long, it's not as if I am in the middle of nowhere.

What's the general experience with this?

Both machines in stock BTW

Lord Kitchener":1r37yxci said:
I ordered a couple of machines a week ago, and rang today to find out when they were coming, and was told another week. I know they give themselves plenty of leeway on the website, but am still surprised that it would take so long, it's not as if I am in the middle of nowhere.

What's the general experience with this?

Both machines in stock BTW

Funny you say that. I'm hanging around waiting for an Axminster delivery this morning, playing on the computer instead of getting on and actually making stuff to pay for the machinery! I'm waiting for a pillar drill and I'm upgrading my drum sander, the order was placed on April 10th. I wanted some pre-assembly work doing which slows things down a bit.

I think the whole supplier customer thing has changed to such a low level that people are ordering blind.
Trying to have demonstrated, set up and working table saws is virtually impossible today. I have been given a long list of stockists by one recognised supplier, but after wading through it find that not a single one of their stockists has what I want to view. Not only that more than 3/4 of the stockists didn't even have a saw set up at all.
The main supplier who gave me the list of their stockists couldn't even tell me which ones had what products of theirs in stock. How bad is that? Whats the point of having a local stockist if they don't stock your stuff?
Then I look on line and find Amazon selling the product, supplied directly from the same supplier, cheaper than, the price quoted by the supplier if I went directly to them!!!!!.!
Then you start asking yourself what sort of service will I get if I do buy the product and things go wrong?
God help us all!!!!!
The best ones I have found are recognised trader suppliers that have closed down their trading units and put an office in at home, yet keep trading as a recognised stockist without being able to show you anything and just ordering from the main supplier and creaming off their 25%...............

In answer to the original question it is not unusual to wait that long. They usually send the larger and heavier stuff out on their own van and the wait is for when they can get to your area, thats what I have been told in the past.

john

When I ordered my Axminster bandsaw they told me it would take three weeks for delivery. I asked why and they said they wait until they have enough orders from a particular area to make it worthwhile sending their lorry out.

I have to say though, when my bandsaw was delivered their driver put it exactly where I wanted it in my shop, just one guy on his own mind, but using a pallet truck. Then he said he had to do deliveries all over the west midlands area and he would be out all week until his lorry was empty.

Bearing in mind all their big stuff is delivered using their own transport and the guy could not have been more helpful with my bandsaw I have to say that their reputation for customer service is first class.

Amateur":3hqk2wds said:
God help us all!!!!!

Welcome to the world of e-commerce. The public have only themselves to blame. They will chase half-pennies down drains. They will walk into a bookshop, browse through the books and then buy online for £1 cheaper.

Roger, some years ago I had a small off licence. I used to sell a particular wine for £2.25. I had one customer who told me he only used me in desperation because Tesco sold it for £1.99 so I was robbing him, and his taxi only cost him 75p so he bought two at a time. I did try to explain that as I was buying 6 bottles at a time and making little when Tesco were buying probably 6 artics full, It was probably them that were the robbers. More often than not he came to me when Tesco was shut anyway.

jpt":2n3av7rs said:
In answer to the original question it is not unusual to wait that long. They usually send the larger and heavier stuff out on their own van and the wait is for when they can get to your area, thats what I have been told in the past.

john

What he said although my understanding is that they only use their own transport for the heavy stuff. I asked a few years ago why and was told that couriers were expensive and couldn't/wouldn't help at the delivery end sometimes just dumping and running.

I'm lucky and can pick up from the warehouse so save on the delivery cost! :D

You literally get what you pay for:

Axminster have what ought to be* a good system - their responsibility end-to-end, and people placing the product who are familiar with it and have a personal interest in making sure it's delivered properly, in the right place, without damage, etc. From the customer's perspective, that means no finger-pointing ("it was them, not us!"), etc., and far more help when the item arrives. The drivers meet customers face-to-face, and I'll bet they feed back their experiences into the 'system' too - that sort of interaction is really valuable in terms of understanding the customer (what proper marketing is all about).

If Axminster changed nothing else except that they sent out half-empty lorries, for a faster delivery, the cost would be much more, which they'd have to pass on as a direct charge. If they didn't, soaking-up the costs in the rest of the business would make that part less competitive (higher overheads).

I'd guess they've 'run the numbers' to see which - owned delivery vans or couriers - is better for their business. Couriers, even the best (and we all know they're very variable), would cause their returns cost to shoot up and customer satisfaction to drop.

With the possible exception of explaining more clearly on the relevant web pages that some delivered items may have delayed delivery, I'd do it just the same way they do. And no, I wouldn't give a courier option, either: the costs of running two options would be huge (returns rate woiuld skyrocket, for a start).

Just my twopence worth.

E.

*I'll admit I've never bought anything big enough from Axminster (yet) to need their delivery service, but I've set up similar processes in another industry, where in some circumstances we specified that we delivered/commissioned products ourselves (and wouldn't drop-ship or let customers do it), to avoid costly mistakes. So I do understand the issues.

Back