How long should I wait(Machine delivery content)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
On the 23rd I purchased an Axminster drum sander. About the 27th I phoned them inquiring as to when I should expect it, to be told the heavy goods delivery bit of the company were deciding whether they should transport it, or get an outside company like RM to do it.

Axminster are usually quite quick on delivering, so this is going on longer than expected, and its been 12 days now.

How long should I leave it before I phone them again and be a bit 'nippy' down the phone..
I was thinking myself that I should leave it 2 weeks total, then phone them and if its not delivered by the end of the 3rd week, look to cancel and get a refund. Or is that being unreasonable and I should look for it to be a month on the outside

It's not free postage, you're expected to pay 60 quid.

On the 23rd I purchased an Axminster drum sander. About the 27th I phoned them inquiring as to when I should expect it, to be told the heavy goods delivery bit of the company were deciding whether they should transport it, or get an outside company like RM to do it.

Axminster are usually quite quick on delivering, so this is going on longer than expected, and its been 12 days now.

How long should I leave it before I phone them again and be a bit 'nippy' down the phone..
I was thinking myself that I should leave it 2 weeks total, then phone them and if its not delivered by the end of the 3rd week, look to cancel and get a refund. Or is that being unreasonable and I should look for it to be a month on the outside

It's not free postage, you're expected to pay 60 quid.
At the point of ordering your machine I would expect an estimated delivery time and the relevant information on who will be delivering it. If the machine is on back order or out of stock then I’d expect a significant delay . Outside of these factors I can see no reason why you would not be given full delivery information at point of sale . How can you take delivery if you don’t know when it will be delivered and why on earth would a delivery company/ courier not contact you to arrange said delivery. Personally and imo I’d be phoning them tomorrow and demanding what’s happening with your delivery. Had my b/saw from d/m tools during Covid and was told it would be delivered via palletways and was contacted by them on the day of said delivery. d m tools phoned next day to confirm I had received it. A positive experience all round.

It was bought as a customer return,via the Axminster outlet on their ebay site, so they have it and its not back order or anything like that.

The estimated delivery date was on it - saying 25-26th which is pretty much overnight(plus handling time), and unreasonable to claim that, so probably a ball park figure put down by ebay.

But even wrangling as to who would actually deliver it its a bit of a stretch for that to go on over a week(I mean, whats to decide) and even if there was an issue, I would have thought Axminster would have been delivering ordered stuff coming up to Scotland, Glasgow etc etc pretty continuously, not once a fortnight.

Yeah, I think a fortnight and it being over a week since i contacted them is time enough, and me phoning to lay an ultimatum at their door for 3 weeks tops isnt out of order.

It was a good price(£900) but a bit of an impulse buy and now I've had time to reflect, a 16" bandsaw would also be something I'd need more than a drum sander. So a cancellation isnt going to be too upsetting.

No small amount ( £900) it’s a shame as Axminster have a decent track record but every now and again you hear of stories like yours usually a warranty issue and a lack of customer service - yep definitely time to start raising your voice and a bit of foot stomping especially if you are now having second thoughts- nothing to lose , but possibly gain free delivery and a small discount for the inconvenience.

Its a pity that Axminster don't seem to keep a decent parts stock for the Chinese machinery. My lathe tailstock failed and they said 6 months to get a new part although I think its more than that now.

i had loads of issues with FFX nextday recently and i did phone each day and complain, I also received some compensation. They had actually cancelled the order at one point
so i would be making quite a fuss by now , if its in stock .......

I know i waited over 6mths for a hedge trimmer from Stihl, and recently called the outlet i use locally and some items are still on backorder and they are not sure when they will get them in - But thats not your situation as i understand it

get on the phone , and ask for some form of compensation .

12 days and not even dispatched yet sounds like someone’s made a mistake - perhaps the sander isn’t available.

Even private ebayers can ship pallets all the way up here in 2-3 days.

Try to get as high as you can up the management chain. Try not not get snippy, ask the basic questions - is it available? Has it been strapped to a pallet? Have you booked the delivery?.

Maybe they are having to repair it as it is a customer return and having parts issues as Steve has said.
And that’s my point that they should inform the op of any delays and give him options that allow him to make an informed choice ie refund or purchase something else or wait it out . When I purchased my b/s from d&m tools I knew the delivery date, the company delivering it and the fact the supplied mitre gauge was incorrect and a replacement would be sent out separately as it was currently out of stock . There is no excuse for leaving the customer to make all the calls to find out what’s gone wrong. Agree with others though and keep any dialogue decent and polite but firm .

Email today and thats apparently it posted. Ax are usually quite quick after its left them so hopefully in the next 2 days it will get here.

The problem according to their ad was the original customer set it up wrongly
" The sander head rise and fall has been adjusted as this was incorrectly set up and had excess movement. Upon bench testing this now runs as expected."

I suppose I'd better make some room for a gigantic box :)

Email today and thats apparently it posted. Ax are usually quite quick after its left them so hopefully in the next 2 days it will get here.

The problem according to their ad was the original customer set it up wrongly
" The sander head rise and fall has been adjusted as this was incorrectly set up and had excess movement. Upon bench testing this now runs as expected."

I suppose I'd better make some room for a gigantic box :)
They could of saved you so much stress etc by just letting you know- glad it’s worked out well for you , I guess your 16” bandsaw will wait 👍👍

The nightmare continues :LOL:

Had a missed call on the answer machine. Apparently some depot has my pallet, so this is to arrange delivery time

Woman from said depot seems to have the goal in life to speak as quickly and illegibly as possible.

Even after re listening to the message 20 times i still cannot decipher who exactly they are and their phone number, which she managed to convey in under 3 seconds. The entire message including the details of who they are, what it is about, who the pallet is from and the contact number she's managed to reel off in under 8 seconds.

I thought I got the number of the 15th time listening, but after phoning it i got the dead tone, so its not what I thought.

This means a call to Axminster tomorrow, to hopefully find out who has it and a contact number.

Oh what a palava. and to be honest the bloody headache this has caused has left me wishing to God I'd never bought the damn thing in the first place.

You have come this far so keep the faith, once it arrives you will have the joy of setting it up , and of course using it . Sanding is one of those jobs I wish I could delegate to someone else but there’s only me . I take it the caller withheld their number but Axminster should be able to help - picture’s please once you have it in your shop set up and working..🙏🙏

It's just the spare room in the house, about 120 square feet. And I seem to be packing so much in i dont think after I add this there will be room to walk about :LOL:

To think the pro workshop I used to work in was maybe 3000 sq ft, with different sections partitioned off. machine area, 4 9x4 benches, finishing area, stained glass area and even 1000 sq ft of free area

How the might have fallen.

I
No small amount ( £900) it’s a shame as Axminster have a decent track record but every now and again you hear of stories like yours usually a warranty issue and a lack of customer service - yep definitely time to start raising your voice and a bit of foot stomping especially if you are now having second thoughts- nothing to lose , but possibly gain free delivery and a small discount for the inconvenience.
have used Axminster for many years and the service has noticeably gone down while the prices went up, fine when they are selling something most of the time but if you need them after it is a nightmare. I used to use them for work for consumables but not anymore.

If you are paying £70, you're paying a pallet delivery charge.That should be delivered in 3 days (day each to collect, transship and deliver). Just so you know next time you buy something like this, you can ask them to confirm they'll deliver within the week when you place the order

Well i've been in contact with the depot, and arranged delivery for tomorrow(Friday 9th) between 5pm and 9pm.

The only problem im going to have is yes it is on a pallet, and its on a pallet because the machine is assembled and not in a box.

Standard pallets are 1mx1m and my doorway is 800mm. Plus the depot has said they're probably going to dump it on the pavement outside the house and from there its up to me, which is not usual Axminster policy, but at this stage i really couldnt give a flying **** :LOL: just happy to get it.

Weighs 47kg, and i can make a 4'x2' trolley board(900 mm x 590 mm x 1,555 mm footprint), just a case of transferring the machine from the pallet to the board and i can wheel it in. Shut the door, flop into the chair, shout 'Thank **** thats done'

I just hope the driver is complicit with helping me lift it on or it will be a complete pain in the **** trying to do it myself.
Plus its going to be top heavy, so I really need to be careful moving it.

All in all really the experience with Axminster has been a bad one and seriously not worth this much trouble. They've supplied no info, especially about it being in assembled state, the lack of clarity on who is moving/delivering it and the lack of interest thus far in that company willing to just dump it in the street, rather than at least pallet truck it in. Axminster knew this was a private address not a premises, they've been heavy delivery here often enough.

1/10 far as im concerned.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back