Axminster Deliveries

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't say I've spent "thousands" with Axminster but I have placed a number of orders with them and, to be fair to them, they've pretty much always delivered when they said they would. I placed an order a few weeks ago with another well known supplier, on an 'order now, receive tomorrow' which didn't arrive next day at all. That's nothing to the order I placed in May which still hasn't materialised. Once it's collected from their premises though, they are at the mercy of their chosen courier, some of whom are using covid to justify what is just poor and shoddy service.

Axminster, along with some other woodworking suppliers, have outlets on either ebay, amazon or both. Axminster prices are constant across all the options but generally no free postage however much you spend. As a newcomer to woodturning, I'm constantly checking prices for accessories and have found a huge difference in prices. Example, I'd like a Record Power SC4 chuck. RP's current price for one is £129.99. One ebay supplier is offering them with 'free postage' at £149.99! Another ebayer lists a range of RP jaws and Sorby bits, again with 'free postage', with each item a minimum of £3 to £6 more than list price and that's per item.

Those of you who ever do food shopping will have almost certainly noticed the increasing number of items either continually 'out of stock' or simply disappeared completely as if they'd never existed at all. The items that remain are rising in price almost every week, few pence here another few there, small enough to be barely noticed till suddenly something has risen 20-30% in a matter of weeks!

Those of you who ever do food shopping will have almost certainly noticed the increasing number of items either continually 'out of stock' or simply disappeared completely as if they'd never existed at all.
John West Kippers!

I noticed recently that Axminster have dropped the 1 1/2" 6tpi faceplates, now with The Toolpost gone the number of suppliers for these, especially dual LH/RH threaded ones is now only one place that I can find, LRE Machinery. Surely the market of Union Gaduate owners is big enough for axminster to sell faceplates with this thread spec?

I bought a 1 1/2" faceplate before they closed, I tried for three but they'd only supply one per person. I got a backplate as well, thinking if I ever pick up another Versachuck I'll have the backplate for it, and if not it'll double as a faceplate. I also got an M33 backplate for the Versachuck in case I ever change the lathe (a Poolewood). I got my retaliation in first. :)

Back