Axminster does it again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graduate_owner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Another comment about Axminster Tools. I bought a Gemred digital angle finder and found it to be brilliant. It did give a few spurious readings at the time, but basically worked fine after re-seting by removing the battery. I checked all my machinery then removed the battery and put it away. A few days ago I needed to use it and found it was really acting up, giving totally random readings whatever I did.
I checked back and, sod's law, I bought it 13 months ago so it was about a month out of guarantee. At about £18 it is not a seriously expensive item, but things like that are so annoying.

I contacted Axminster anyway and explained the situation. Within 24 hours they emailed to say they had received my email and had asked one of their team to look into things. Within 2 days they emailed to say they had dispatched a replacement and apologised for the inconvenience (Thank you Kerry at Axminster). This is not the first time they have replaced items without a quibble and without even wanting the defective item returned for inspection.

I call that CUSTOMER SERVICE, and I'm impressed - again.

Christmas and birthday presents for the last few years have been Axminster vouchers - no need to explain why.

K

That's great. I have also found ironmongery direct to have amazing customer service.

I've always experienced the same level of service. I find them to be a superb company that consistently exceeds my expectations without asking. Likewise, vouchers are always high on my list :) (Axy I mean)

I wish their prices were as superb. £1 = $1.7 at the moment but Axminster are charging more for Veritas planes in GB Pounds than Lee Valley are charging in US Dollars e.g. Axminster is selling the Veritas LAJ at £294.95 but it is $245 direct from Lee Valley. Might be down to some factors outside of their control, but doesn't look good.

That's always been the case for most USA and Canadian products - price in $ = price in £.

Rod

Jon the Bodger":1onrzc7i said:
I wish their prices were as superb. £1 = $1.7 at the moment but Axminster are charging more for Veritas planes in GB Pounds than Lee Valley are charging in US Dollars e.g. Axminster is selling the Veritas LAJ at £294.95 but it is $245 direct from Lee Valley. Might be down to some factors outside of their control, but doesn't look good.

They're sold through a distributor - they make money by distributing...

May be its me but, whenever I see a USA item price in $, say $100, I can expect it to be £100 over here.

Axi have also sold off those LAJ's for £199 a few times as a sale item.

Harbo":1103giir said:
That's always been the case for most USA and Canadian products - price in $ = price in £.

Rod
Maybe, but I think you have to look on a case-by-case basis. For instance, whilst it can be cheaper buying Veritas planes from Canada you can now buy WoodRiver planes in the UK at a price that means it isn't worth ordering direct from the USA, after VAT/duty/P&P is included. What really surprised me was that the Stanley Premium planes are cheaper in the UK e.g. the Stanley No.4 Premium plane is £80-ish here but Woodcraft are selling them for $189.99 in the States :shock: .

US prices exclude tax. But then again they don't get taxed that much anyway.

All my veritas stuff came from German distributors :)

Back