Axminster AWHBS250N Bandsaw - is it me?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dchallender

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just set up my new bandsaw which I have had for a while in the box, anyway it isn't a hugely powered one as I only really do light wood work and as a first foray into bandsaws went for a small one due to space restrictions in the workshop.

Anyway long story short did my first cut and the blade virtually stopped with a 12mm piece of pine !! :shock: In theory it can cut 120mm (I doubt it very much given what happened). I then tried to cut a 25mm piece and there was no joy at all.

It seems to struggle with everything, I've tried retensioning, etc. but no joy, looking at it now the only think I can see that may well be wrong with it is that the motor is faltering under load, as you can feel it slow down, i can here the top wheel rubbing though on what seems to be the mounting boss on the frame, but this is superficial I think.

At this rate I'm not sure it would cut cardboard, so folks is it me or do I skip a new piece of kit?

Any advice gratefully recieved

rgds

Darren

I had that bandsaw in a different model, I cut the full 120mm in Oak. So it should work. Are you sure your pushing only slowly, and do you have a decent blade not the one that came with it?

To much tension will make it slow as well.

Is the motor belt tensioned correctly and not slipping by any chance?

Does the motor spin up quickly or does it take time to get up to speed? If the latter suspect the start/run capacitor.

Does the blade rotate freely by hand.

I had the fox...... whatever 150mm cut.Nothing more than a toy!!
Chems maybe you should go round setting peoples under powered bandsaws to cut the stated cut? :?
Its ok cutting 120mm,but not real good at a rate of 25mm a minute.

Hi

Don't know if you've checked but ... I've got a fairly large Scheppach model that did exactly the same thing to me and it turned out to be the guides. I'd set them up at 15 degrees C nice and close but on the day in question it was a sultry 0 - the guides had moved with the temp enough to nip the blade up a little too much - stalled motor and tripped breaker. Try backing the lot off - upper and lower and making a test cut. A little motor like the one on yours won't handle too much resistance before bogging down. Worth a shot.

It might be worthwhile trying it with a different blade (I am assuming you are using the machine with the original) like a Starret or Tuff saw, you might be surprised with the difference :eek:

Harry

It looks pretty small from the pictures so probably has limitations but the third review on their website says this:

Agonising over whether this machine will do what you need from a bandsaw? Fear not! I've used mine to comfortably cut several pieces of Oak over 4 inches thick. Naturally, common sense has to be used over controlling the speed of the cut but it is entirely adequate for the considerable amount of cabinet making I practice in retirement. Workshop space was my problem but this machine has a very conventient small footprint. I also mounted mine on a made-up wooden chassis with 50mm braked castors - recommended modification.

Two things I would do...get Steve's excellent DVD on bandsaw setups and jigs - the best thing you can get for your saw if you don't know much about them...and even if you thought you did :wink:

Equally important - as others have said, get a proper blade. Remember...the blade should be the right one for the job. Speak to Ian at Tuff Saws...he is really helpful and get a new blade and one spare. You won't regret that either.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Jim

CHJ":2najfyu9 said:
Is the motor belt tensioned correctly and not slipping by any chance?

Does the motor spin up quickly or does it take time to get up to speed? If the latter suspect the start/run capacitor.

Does the blade rotate freely by hand.

In terms of the belt slipping it didn't look as though it was but I shall have a look today and see if it is, in terms of the motor it does seem to take a while to get upto speed - which is what made me suspect it at first, also you can feel it slow down when it is under load as well.

The blasde does freely rotate by hand, as I mentioned there is a slight rubbing but I suspect that this is because it is straight out of the box and requires a little 'fettling'

I will also get Steve's bandsaw DVD, but I have tried resetting the guides, backing them off etc and it seems to make no difference.

It would seem that when you run it there is no power behind it to drive the blade, I shall take the advice given and report back later today - I suspect I may be on to Axminster's Technical department tomorrow as there is no way I would be able to cut 120mm in oak as other folks have with the BS as it stands at the moment, even if I was going incredibly slowly.

I shall report back later today :D

Thanks for all your advice

Darren

I think you've answered the question yourself ...

in terms of the motor it does seem to take a while to get upto speed

... I'd bet the motor is duff. Back to APTC.

You need to take the blade off....take the belt off...and run the motor on its own. You may have to override the safety lock switch to do this. See if it still takes time to come up to speed...

If not...put the belt back on the pulley and bottom wheel but not the blade and then run again...try stopping the bottom wheel and see if it has enough torque.....if it slows down easily then there is something wrong with the motor.

Cheers

Jim

Didn't ByronBlack has the same trouble when he bought one of these saws last year? I'm sure he's since sold it but, he did document it all somewhere... I can't find it right now but, it might have been on The Wood Haven. If I remember though, it was something to do with the motor pulley and belt arrangement being set up on a slow speed - even though this is supposed to be a fast, single-speed machine? You could always try contacting Axminster directly. They'll usually offer to collect, repair and return a machine to you at no cost.

OPJ":3kwjx2jk said:
Didn't ByronBlack has the same trouble when he bought one of these saws last year? I'm sure he's since sold it but, he did document it all somewhere... I can't find it right now but, it might have been on The Wood Haven. If I remember though, it was something to do with the motor pulley and belt arrangement being set up on a slow speed - even though this is supposed to be a fast, single-speed machine? You could always try contacting Axminster directly. They'll usually offer to collect, repair and return a machine to you at no cost.

I'll have a look when I get back home on Thursday

Thanks

Darren

Could it be a dual voltage motor that's wired for high voltage and you're running on low voltage? It sure sounds like you're way under powered, and that's one indicator of miswiring.

Kirk
who isn't on a continent where that bandsaw is sold, but has seen the symptoms before...

kirkpoore1":1w6cnsu9 said:
Could it be a dual voltage motor that's wired for high voltage and you're running on low voltage? It sure sounds like you're way under powered, and that's one indicator of miswiring.
Kirk
who isn't on a continent where that bandsaw is sold, but has seen the symptoms before...

We don't have a 110Volt mains option in Europe Kirk, (230V single ph and 415V 3ph. or there abouts).

CHJ":2cfqx42i said:
We don't have a 110Volt mains option in Europe Kirk, (230V single ph and 415V 3ph. or there abouts).
I should have assumed that, but, heck, it just sounded so right. :)

Given that it's a new saw, there doesn't seem to be any extra drag on the blade or belt (from guides, etc), I'd have to agree with the motor problem diagnosis. Maybe a loose wire inside or something.

Kirk

Back