Axminster AT406WL or Record Power Coronet Herald?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave K

Reaction score
Hi
I am looking for some advice on buying a new lathe!
I am new to this forum and also new to wood turning!
I have recently retired and I am looking for a new hobby!
I have been keen on carpentry for many years and have a fairly well equipped workshop, I have plenty of space accommodate a lathe and it is my intention to bench mount it.
Whilst researching a suitable lathe I have narrowed down my search to the Axminster and the Record Power, I have read numerous reviews although a lot appear to be linked to the manufacturers!
It may seem a bit of a strange comparison as the lathes are very different!
I am able to purchase the Axminster for £1500 and the Record Power for £900.
I have been looking at second hand lathes for about a month but it appears that anything halfway decent sells for close to the price of a new one!
I am looking for something to grow into as I progress but I don‘t have enough experience to know if the extra £600 for the Axminster is a good investment!
Any views would be much appreciated.

Neither.
The Record Power appears to have a brushed motor and motor mounted speed control. These aren't as reliable as an AC induction motor and when they do fail, you don't have the option of buying a standard motor or standard speed control that can be sourced from many places for a competitive price.

Axminster sell generic Chinese machines in their trade colours. Fair enough, but I'd rather buy something better or at least better value.

Take a look at lathes on the hopewoodturning website. Simon Hope is a reputable turner who has been around for a while. He sells I think 4 ranges of lathes including Laguna and KSD that would be within your budget and I suspect better value than the ones you are looking at.

I'm sure you could ring him up and ask for advice. I have before now.

Cheers

I was in a similar situation a month or so back primarily because of shipping I chose a Record Coronet Regent which was a little cheaper than the 406. I am just getting into the throw of turning and as far as I can tell it will suit all of my future needs and probably more. No doubt their are alternatives but I am satisfied with the Regent.

I am going through a similar process atm, I have done some legwork but not pulled the trigger on bigger lathe just yet (sorted all the other things out first). This lathe will be my second real Lathe (actually third but you would laugh at the first!). The problem is though I am fine on tiny turnings i no experience of larger stuff yet. I have a tiny Axminster Trade lathe currently so have a bias. The Simon Hope KS looked great but are much more expensive £ for £ for what you get elsewhere, look great however and one has very compact dimension for such a big lather with it folded back motor 👍. The Lagunas look fine also with their DVR drives and are local for me (important). Axminsters look sound reliable units and easily sourced but the range I keep coming back to are the Record Power Herald / Envoy / Regent. All seem very fine units pushing quality and will probably be massive overkill for users like me and satisfy all my demands but like you i cannot decide between the size model I need (1 or 2 Hp). Everyone tells me to buy bigger than my plans now! So atm heading down RP route I think but choice is really good for purchasers in this bracket.

Hi
Thank you all for your advice, as recommended i spoke with Simon Hope today (what a nice guy!).
He quite rates the Axminster, apparently it is identical to the Twister 200!
I am waiting for him to come back to me with a price for the Twister!
In the interest of sharing information, he advised me against the Coronet Herald, apparently it has suffered a few recall issues and he is not a fan of the controls on the headstock! (Shame because I actually quite like the look of it!)
I would welcome any more views or further advice!
Best
Dave

I recently bought a Record Coronet Herald as a second lathe, I was really impressed with the quality, I have had Axminster lathes in the past but I found the finish on the castings really rough, finger cutting rough, I have not seen recall issues for the Coronet on the forums that I visit, Simons lathes are good but expensive at todays prices

The controls on the headstock are no problem to me, I have only been turning for 40 years so maybe I've missed what the problem is, I'm Old

Thank you for the information, as I said I like the Coronet Herald!
I have no experience of any lathe! I haven’t ruled anything out I really appreciate your experience of the lathe.
Best
Dave

I would welcome any more views or further advice!
Best
Dave
Dave, I would recommend having a look to see if there is a turners club nearby. the AWGB has a list. map and also a list.
Club Map – AWGB, Some clubs can be a bit of an oldies clique but many offer demos and teaching days and experienced members and are very welcoming of new blood and also tuition. It is a way to learn before buying expensive kit.
There is an online club News Archives - Woodturning Zoom which has an open meeting for new combers on a Wednesday morning and then various branch meeting and a regular Wednesday evening meeting. They are very welcoming of new members and have a lot of knowledge. I've found them very friendly and always positive about what their member do. On the whole the majority members of these clubs are well into retirement, but there is a wide age range from teenager upwards, but the majority are pretty experienced old timers.

I don't have one of the RP Lathes but have heard well of them and same as Carry Book haven't heard of recalls. Can't see them on the hope website so perhaps they did and no longer stock them

I've a coronet herald. Heavy for its size, the controls on the headstock are no problem rather convenient really. Only issue is that if you put it close to a wall lengthwise, the size and position of the motor will retrict the swing of the headstock, so you may have to site it farther out from a wall if you are going to use the headstock at 90 deg to rhe bed.

I looked at a few youtube reviews, where the CH came out quite well. Yandles were helpful with advice, as we're RP themselves.

I'd not hesitate to recommend the CH.

I turn seated as I'm deficient to the tune of two in the lower limb department - I often turn bowls etc. with the headstock skewed and I can see how anyone with limited mobility would find the Herald's controls awkward.
Even if I were standing I don't think I'd like to have to reach around or over the headstock for the controls.

The only issues I have heard of with RP lathes were the headstock clamping bolt for the Envoy and Regent but it's a simple fix RP will send out the new fitting if it is required all current lathes have been modified.
The herald and 406 ar quite different with the 406 being almost twice the price of a herald a better comparison would be the RP Regent with the 406.

Hi Dave I was in a similar situation last year.

When I was starting out with woodworking (2018) I had included a Record Power DML305 in with my initial equipment order from them so that I could have a go at turning and see how I got on. I had nobody the get advice from but eventually unpacked it at the beginning of last year and only armed with hours of youtube watching and some second had tools (?) from Ebay I had a go and really took to it. Once I developed some turning skills and acquired some proper turning tools, I decided to buy a more suitable machine. Another Record Power lathe wasn't an option for me, as I had issues with all of the RP machines I had bought and I found their customer service lacking.

I had good products from Axminster and decided the AT406 would be ideal for me. Only problem is I'm based in France and as a result of Brexit the hassle of the required paperwork and the additional cost of shipping meant it wasn't worth the bother and I decided to buy something on the continent. I researched many lathes, ad nauseam, over a number of weeks and eventually decided on a KS machine.

Although I couldn't purchase the machine from him, Simon Hope, as the UK distributor, was very helpful and gave advice to help me with my choice. I have access to large wood and wanted to turn some large pieces so I chose the FU230 with outrigger from the KS range. I have found it to be an absolutely fantastic machine, great design and quality build and components. I have been running it almost constantly since it arrived last october and I have turned many very large bowls (some 50cm+ with blanks in excess of 40kg) without any problem. Recently, I have been doing small items, pepper mills, boxes, handles e.t.c. and again no problem.

From my personal experience I highly recommend the KS machines. I note couple of the posters above consider them a bit expensive but they don't appear to have had any experience of the machines to pass a fair judgement. I found with careful product comparison the KS range are not actually much more expensive and that's without considering the quality of the product.

Perhaps it might be worth looking at the whole KS range, this link my get you there.
Drechselbänke

Best of luck with your choice.

Hi
Lots of great advice thank you to everyone that has posted!
I am probably more confused than when I first asked the question.
I am beginning to feel that buying a lathe is very much a personal choice.
Obviously views of people that own a particular lathe are very helpful.
I have always believed in the saying you pay for what you get so I am leaning towards the Axminster.
Simon hope has offered me a Twister FU 200 for the same price as the Axminster, he has told me they are virtually the same machine and made in the same factory.
Out of the two I will probably go for the Axminster because of the strong availability of after service.
I am going to try and get a couple of lessons first which may help me decide. I was advised to look for a local club, my nearest one is Milton Keynes and they have a waiting list but there are a couple of people offering day courses locally.
Best
Dave K

The lathe I use is a Tyme Cub, a well made heavy English machine. It has a wonderful motor and just about the right size up to 36 inches for between centres work. One can get very excited about some of the latest China models and they are upping the quality however If you can find a good UK made machine I am sure that in the long run you will find it a much better machine. You can add an use all the latest modern chucks and fit it with some better parts than those that would come as standard fit on a China model. The machines from the retailers such as Record and Axminster are from China as you now probably aware. I have bought machines from China and were like toys in my workshop. You can’t beat a good UK made machine, my latest replacement for a cheap Chinese drill being a Meddings pillar drill. You will not regret buying a good tool, much more of a pleasure to use. Good luck with your choice. If you decide on a Chinese lathe look at Jet.

On this forum you’ll get sound advice and well meaning advice, the trick is figuring out which is which 😀

Here’s my 2p worth. Don’t try and buy a lathe that you can grow into. You don’t know what you want yet. Buy a cheapish lathe from a reputable supplier, buy “Woodturning: A Foundation Course” by Keith Rowle, join a club and just get stuck in! In a couple of years you’ll know whether you’re truly hooked and if you are, what you want in your “forever” lathe. As a bonus, you’ll get a good chunk of your original purchase price back if you bought a halfway decent one. Axminster has a cracking deal on a AC370WL at the moment with a free Chuck package. That was my first lathe, a great bit of kit that I had a lot of fun learning on.

Hi
Thank you for your advice.
When I first started looking I saw the deal on the Axminster AC 370 And thought it looked pretty good!
I even when to the Axminster showroom to have a look at it.
What put me off was I was told it should not be used for more than 2 hours a week or a 100 hours a year!!
Did you use your one more than that?
Best
Dave

Latest posts

Back