Aprons?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Aprons as in wot cooks wear :lol: not what LN make :(

What do you use?

I've always used a warehouse coat, thats when I remember to put it on :?

I've been thinking about buying one but most look a bit poncy for me and many have just too many pockets (I'm already 19 stone) so I only need one pocket for my fags
www_MyEmoticons_com__smokelots.gif

Maybe a pocket for two or three dozen pencils, cos my ears dont fit pencils :roll: well the real reason is I need to wear glasses so the space for a pencil is already used up :(

So do you use an apron? where did you buy it? or did you nick swmbo's one with little flowers on it? :lol:

I'm OK when I'm drooling over tools I would like, I can use these

288329162_eae04d28bc.jpg

:D

Ooops... should have put it in the "Off Topic" :oops:

Yes I use aprons - the traditional long pattern with a single pocket (divided into two buy stitching and made from heavy cotton drill. Still working on the ideal design, though

Scrit

Boiler suit. orange ones at the moment (because they were freebees)
My wife says I look like someone doing community service.
Oh! and they've got a big elephant logo on the back.

Alan. :D :D

I wear a traditional one like scrit with the front pocket to collect sawdust in :D

Jason

Tradidtional,but the wife shortened it so bending is easier, sort of mini skirt apron and no there will not be any photographs.

I have an apron from Axminster with the cross over straps, and a pocket full of sawdust and blunt pencils. :roll:

For Best I have one with my name on as seen at the Big Bash. :)

I also have some bib and brace type overalls that came from Lidl, very good value as they were only 3 or 4 pounds a pair, skinflint me. [-(

Traditional apron and pocket full of sawdust :lol: - partly because it reminds me of woodwork lessons at school.
Keep thinking about getting something else for woodturning though - invariably end up with sawdust and shavings down the inside of my shirt/t-shirt :(

Andrew

Paper overalls scrounged from work. About ten sizes too big for me as i am only slight. Still manage to get woodshavings down the inside of my shirt. Anyone come up with a good idea to stop shavings sticking to your socks? Don't say don't wear any as this just tickles the feet. :) SWMBO is getting fed up with me bringing half of the workshop up on my feet. :roll:

PowerTool":3hf38qt1 said:
Traditional apron and pocket full of sawdust :lol: - partly because it reminds me of woodwork lessons at school.
Keep thinking about getting something else for woodturning though - invariably end up with sawdust and shavings down the inside of my shirt/t-shirt :(

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I have one of the turners smock and I have not looked back as they have two pockets in the back and a high neck.
So no more shavings down your back :wink:

I am thinking of getting one more as I also use it when routing MDF :)

Thanks for the recommendation,Colin.
So no more shavings down your back

Normally only get them down the front - good point about routing,though (as that's when I can really get dusty..)

Have actually just been looking at the smocks on Axminster's website - my only reservation is that I never wear long sleeves,and not sure if cutting the sleeves off would defeat the object of wearing it :-k

Andrew

Andrew

You can always try it with the sleeves first and if you dont like it, you cn see what you want to do after :)

mailee":25f01lb9 said:
SWMBO is getting fed up with me bringing half of the workshop up on my feet. :roll:

Your swmbo and my swmbo must be sisters, moan moan moan, I've only got to open the back door and the gestapo are on me :lol:

It's interesting to read that we all have some gripe about how good some aprons are, or perhaps it would be more correct to say how poor they are. I don't think I've ever seen an in depth review in the wood mags covering aprons pros & cons, one day perhaps. :wink:

Going on about shavings sticking to socks, I've come up with a solution for doing away with a shop vacuum, wear a wooly fleece, saw dust & chippings never reach the floor. :lol:

Just had a brain wave,,,, I've got a fishermans smock, it's a bit loose around the neck but I might give it a try. The cuffs are a bit loose for safety, now where did I put those scissors?

I use a free Tormek and a LV apron in the shop, the LV is best becasue it has more pockets. For turning I use a LV turners smock, tight round the neck and cuffs and comes well below the waist.

If I'm on site I wear one of these:

82208_b3.jpg

which is useful enough and means that I don't end up catching the lower half when kneeling down.

In the workshop I don't tend to wear one but just have a heap of old poloshirts and sweatshirts.

Cheers

Tim

At £3 a pair for tesco jeans I cant be bothered with aprons, used to wear them but come on guys "an apron" we're in the 21st century,wheres your sense of style, whats next, hairnets.

Possible ideas for the next thread "how do you wear your flat cap" or "how high do you wear your trousers" :D :D :D

Hi all

I must say that my personal preference is for the Axminster Leather Apron.

senior":11ze33kf said:
Possible ideas for the next thread "how do you wear your flat cap" or "how high do you wear your trousers"

The flat cap or "Dai" cap should be worn so that it protects the eyes from the sunlight. Please note that it is possible for the sun to catch you unawares if you do not wear your cap at all times.

As for the other question, trousers should always be worn the regulation eight inches above the ground. :wink:

Cheers
Neil

Are Axminster the only people who sell the apron with the crossover straps. I gave up wearing the conventional type 'cos of the constant pressure on the back of the neck. Especially when I'd loaded the pockets down with chisels, tapes, set squares, hammers etc. :)

Losos":3s2z59sj said:
Are Axminster the only people who sell the apron with the crossover straps.
I think they are, my for 'Best' apron came from the company that make the the Axminster aprons and they only supply the loop around the neck style direct to the public.
Axminster appear to have copyright on the crossover straps.

Back