Woodworking Apron

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I’m a younger craftsperson, though I might be stretching the definition of both.

Tool belt for carpentry type stuff, fencing and whatnot, but I much prefer an apron for bench work. Stops me getting blathered in glue and finishes and has handy pockets for pencils, tape measure, little square and my crack pipe.

Mine is from Axminster. It took ages to unpick their embroidered logo.
Handy to have but I don't use it all the time.
Also have a leather nail pouch with an attachment to hold a hammer. Useful.

Portwest SW10 Welder's Apron. Made from heavyweight leather; one front pocket; proper crossed shoulder straps, so it doesn't 'hang' off your neck. £11.50 to £12.50.

I swear by them.

Portwest SW10 Welder's Apron. Made from heavyweight leather; one front pocket; proper crossed shoulder straps, so it doesn't 'hang' off your neck. £11.50 to £12.50.

I swear by them.
Spanner48, Is the split leather finish a coarse suede or is it a bit smoother - less of a sawdust magnet?

Mine is from Axminster. It took ages to unpick their embroidered logo.
Handy to have but I don't use it all the time.
Also have a leather nail pouch with an attachment to hold a hammer. Useful.
You could have just unstitched the x n and t (in jest just the way my mind works)

Don’t you find the pockets fill up with dust and shavings? I much prefer pockets with a flap.
Hello Paul,
Yes indeed, the pockets do fill with sawdust over time. I have not seen flaps on these vests save those designed for turners. But, at under $19 US, the vest is a bargain, IMO. Quite comfy, very well constructed (good materials), and well designed (except for the flaps, of course :) ).
However, you have given me an idea: I may try attaching a length of 2 inch poly webbing with hot-melt adhesive and a few rivets to form a flap! My way of "bachelor sewing"! I have only recently discovered the virtues and various uses of hot-melt adhesives (there are many types available).
Lately, I generally only carry the tools I will need for a project in my vest. I forced myself to try to limit unneeded items! Prior, I had the bad habit of carrying everything imaginable... too much... it got entirely out of hand quickly.
At the end of the day, I can invert the pockets to empty the sawdust, and blow-in some compressed air as needed.
Also, I typically clean, oil, & put my tools away in a safe place. It is a habit I started in order to assure that many of my fine tools will have third, fourth, and/or fifth owners after me. A way of being a good steward to my fine tools, and respecting the unknown names stamped on my tools of old.

To this day I (as others) am still trying to figure out if I collect tools to work in wood... or... work in wood to collect tools! ;) Cheers!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back