Anyone ever had their own house built?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powertools

Established Member
Reaction score
We have reached the conclusion that the house we have lived in since 1982 is now far to big for our needs and is becoming a drain on our resources.
We want something smaller with a smaller garden but don't want to move far from the area but have been unable to find anything that we like in our price range.
The present house stands on a 1/3 acre plot and has a 1200sq ft workshop to the rear (also now to large for my needs)
We came up with the idea of reducing the size of the workshop and converting it into a double garage and smaller workshop and having a smaller house built on the site to our own specifications and then selling the original house that would still stand on a good size plot.
Having taken advice from a professional in planning and building design it would seem that we should get permission to do this and it does make economic sense but I am aware that this is a massive undertaking and I am concerned about the possible pitfalls and hidden costs a project of this type is likely to surprise me with.
Anybody ever done anything similar?

Hi

We have been down similar routes twice before and would do so again in the future if the need arises.
The price and availability of plots are the biggest factors in my opinion but if you can get detailed planning for your project I'd definitly go for it.
Our first house was built from a timber framed kit and took about ten weeks start to finish and saved us about 20% on buying something comparable. Second house was traditionally built to my own design, took about six months to complete and saved in the region of 50%, both times we had to purchase plots. This was back in the eighties in Scotland before the cost of plots increased dramatically, however today you can still make a substantial saving and end up with a purpose built property, (in your case the saving would be augmented by not hasving to buy a plot).
I'd start by looking at timber frame kit manufacturer's web sites to get an idea of what is available - next on the list, (unless you intend to site manage the project yourself), is to find a good tradesman to act as your primary contractor, (he will take on the task of managing all of the sub contractors and dealing with suppliers etc.).

It may seem like a daunting project at first, read as much as you can, ask around locally and try to contact people who have undertaken similar projects. At the end of the day it's pretty simple and very rewarding.

When carving up your current property be aware of the impact your changes will have to the value of the existing house.

Regards Mick

yup. Twice now. I really think the trick is to avoid nasty surprises by planning the budget properly. You must assume you will overspend the 2nd fix through to finish budget by a fair margin. At last 30% or more so build that in. The construction budget shouldn't go too far adrift as it will be a price from a builder. and is highly commoditised.

All the risk is in the finishing (ie not that medium price kitchen we decided on but this swanky one that SWMBO rally likes). The other area of risk in my experience is right at the start with the foundations. Any nasty surprises like trees or boggy ground you hadn't considered will add a few grand to the price.

We overspent on house 1 by around 30% but the 2md house (which is 5000 sq foot) was a massive overspend...truly huge. It was all because we kept buying better stuff than we planned. The construction went to budget. Bathrooms, kitchens, windows, doors all were blown completely out of their original plans.

So if you get a price from a builder (and you really need 3 quotes at least) make him document whats in and also whats not in his price. Who is going to project manage it because the builder typically wont. We did ours and its a huge time commitment, mind you its fun also if you like building.

But the result, which is a space designed to your specification is one of the most rewarding things I've ever done personally. To have power over your environment and know what materials are behind every wall, every floor etc is a dam fine feeling which has positive spin-offs in many other areas of your life.

I've researched off site built green oak framed houses and when the kids leave home and we downsize...that'll be my next project. You can have the frame ready to roof from foundations in a fortnight which compared to brick built is a staggering leap in time. They're also my personal taste ie oak everywhere throughout the interior.

So plan your budget very carefully.....then add 50% would be my advice. If you don't spend the difference then its a bonus but assume you will and you may be about right.

The only unknown really would be groundcosts relating to any unexpected problems such as tree roots, drains, ground type and conditions etc. For the actual build, you should be able to get pretty accurate costings and estimates, likewise for planning and legal costs etc.
The most common reason for estimates being inaccurate is the householder moving the goalposts and deviating / adding to the original plans. (I guarantee you will do that as the building progresses and you see other possibilities).
Those comments apply only to the basic build as the fixtures and fittings depend entirely on your choice e.g. you can spend £5k or £50k on a kitchen :)

Get several estimates from reputable companies and make sure they are itemised. If using an architect, make sure there is no "history" of problems between then as you would be surprised how often they don't gel and make sure the architect has significant experience of single dwelling projects and not just and office based artist. There are good and bad in all professions :lol:

I'm a builder BTW and though have only built 1 bungalow from scratch, many years ago, have completed several major conversions. I've also looked hard at doing a similar thing as I have a 3/4 acre paddock which would make an ideal plot for my retirement though I fear planning will be more of a problem than yours.

As an aside, have you looked at the various timber frame kit houses on the market? Excellent value for money and a quick build solution if you are happy with that type of construction. I would have no hesitation for myself providing I project managed it though I'd want to do that on a traditional build also as I'm getting too old and lazy to do thehard graft myself these days.

Bob

Many thanks for the detailed replies.
We have had valuations done and the economics do work out but it is not a project that I would go into lightly.
With 3 vehicles 2 dogs 6 chickens and 3 rabbits to accommodate along with the need for a workshop for a noisy hobby it seems like the best way forward to create what will be our final home.
We have another advisor coming on Tuesday to see what ideas he has and after that we will decide if we approach the council with an informal planning application.
As I said to the wife the other day this would be the second biggest gamble of my life, what was the biggest gamble she said marrying you said i,
we are back on talking terms now.

It's hard to believe that it is nearly 5 months since I started this thread but having done much research and gone through a process of pre planning advice with the planning dept I have finally given an architect the go ahead to draw up the plans today.
The project involves creating new boundaries for the existing house and preparing it for sale, reducing the size of existing workshop to create a double garage and the all important woodwork workshop and building new house.
It would seem that a project that I thought would take about a year is likely to take nearer 2 years from the start of this thread, at best it will be another 4 months before we have planning permission in place.
If anybody is contemplating a similar project and if there is any interest I will update this thread from time to time with my experiences and progress.

Hi

Glad things are moving along - please keep the thread updated, it's always good to keep abreast of current developments and challenges.

Regards Mick

Please do update and some pics as the job progresses (before and after) would be great if you can find the time.

Mark

Another vote for a lavishly detailed account of the whole process please!

We're kicking around the ideas for what we'd like to do next - ranging from buying and extending to ground-up build. It seems like quite a daunting process with obstacles at every turn, but I'm sure if you've prepared thoroughly (and it doesn't sound like you're leaping into this on a whim!) you'll get the house that's perfect for you.
Best of British!

+1 on the progress updates. My self build experiences are similar in that the above the shoulders stuff at the beginning ie design and planning etc take a huge amount of time. Once you've all the permissions and a budget, the construction process is the fun bit. I for one would be interested in your progress. Also don't neglect the zero VAT rated dodge. As along as its your primary residence all the materials and labour are exempt from VAT which is a massive saving. Obviously 20% of budget. You need to research that because I think you need all the relevant paperwork, receipts etc from the start.

Very best of luck

There seems to be some interest and while that continues and as long as the mods are happy I will tell the story so far and the background to the idea. I promise that if I manage to pull this off there will be a nice woodwork shop to show for it where I intend to spend my retirement just doing things I want to do rather than spend most of my time working.
I have selfish reasons for starting this thread in that the wife seems to have a misguided belief that whatever we do any problems that arise I just take in my stride and sort them out but I am aware that this is the biggest project I have ever undertaken and there will be many problems to overcome and I will need moral support and advice from other forum members who have undertaken this sort of project.
I purchased the existing house and workshop in 1982 in a totally derelict state, at the time the workshop had planning for use as a distribution depot for a dairy company and the first job was to have the house underpinned and apply for change of use for the workshop into a vehicle repair workshop and I then ran a vehicle repair business from here until 1996 after which time I started another business that no longer required use of the building.
During this time I carried major repairs to the house from renewing concrete floors to repairing gaps in the roof caused when the foundations had moved prior to my purchase of it and had a large extension built on the side of the house and so I do have experience of of having large building projects going on and have dealt with the local planners.
Time has come when we should no longer live here because it is now far to big for our needs but we have been unable to find another house locally that we would want to live in and having taken much advice about selling this property as it is it would seem that the fact that it has 1200sq ft workshop to the rear is not an asset and it would be easier to sell and at a similar price without the workshop and garden to the side hence the idea of this project.

Below is an aerial photo of the house taken about 25 years ago not much has changed in that time but all the classic Minis, the MK3 Land Rover and the MK1 Golf Gti have long gone but the Riley Elf is still here along with a muched loved Mini Cooper S that both will have to go to help finance the project .

my house.jpg

That is the background to the reasoning behind what we propose to do and if the interest continues I will update with the progress over the last few months and into the future.

Attachments

• my house.jpg
    my house.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 1,402
Looks like a 'fun' project. I am guessing that the new build will come out onto that main road (is it a main road ?) Do you anticipate any planning problems with that ?

Looks v exciting.
Though I am deeply concerned that you think the workshop can be reduced in size - have you lost your mind, sir!!??!!
Seriously though, I do have a book about planning, etc, which you are welcome to, if you want it.
PM me your address if it's of interest.
Greg

gregmcateer":32w15cpo said:
Looks v exciting.
Though I am deeply concerned that you think the workshop can be reduced in size - have you lost your mind, sir!!??!!
Seriously though, I do have a book about planning, etc, which you are welcome to, if you want it.
PM me your address if it's of interest.
Greg

Thanks for that kind offer but much of the last few months have been spent putting a plan together that should satisfy the planners. If you have a book about finance I would be interested as if we get planning permission that will be the next hurdle.

I have, OH MY GOD !!!!
However much you think it will cost - add 30%
However long you think it will take - Multiply by 2.
Will you start drinking - Yes.
Will it stress you and your loved ones - Yes.
Should you live in a caravan on site - ABSOLUTELY NOT.
Is it worth it in the end - Definitely yes.
Will you earn brownie points with above mentioned loved ones - Yes Yes Yes.
Sit down and think long and hard about it - Yes.
Carefully vette your architect/builder - Yes.
Trust builders merchants quotes - No.
Get on with planning and building control - Yes, oh yes.
Stand your ground and make your point, hence get what you want and what you are paying for - Watch out for this one but Yes.
Try to enjoy the process - Maybe hard at times but again Yes.
Agree with loved ones on fixtures and fittings - Just go along with what she wants ( remembering it all won't last forever and your turn/choice will come)
Making sure you build in a little den for yourself - You really don't need me to answer that one do you.

Based on my own experiences only, not intended as a guide to self build or life.
Would I do it all again - Are you joking ? Absolutelywithoutadoubtinhell YES !!
Good luck =D> :D

Right up my street! I have built several timber framed dwellings and plasterboarded God knows how many!
as you are no doubt aware you cast a concrete slab with services and drain/sewer arrangement in place. and then a couple of very large lorries come on site and, using there own staff the house goes up in normally 3 days, roof, barge and fascia boards on, felted or tyvec and scatter battened, so the building is dry inside.

Go for outline planning first and keep just the building in principle application.
Being turned down for roof tile colour or a window etc gets very stressful.
Get a good project manager
Open an account with a builders merchant, give their estimator a set of you're plans and have him price and estimate the amount of materials required for completion, and save 40% on materials. try and befriend him 'cos these blokes are on rubbish money and you need these guys on you're side from day one!
Do not fit out the bathroom or kitchen until last, and see how you're budget is doing!
Its no good having a £2000 bath and no money for a dining room floor!
Really, Really, try and stay with you're original plan and budget.
Have the groundworks, road/ access and drains,soakaways dug out in one go, don't work in mud and crud.
Get hold of 2 good chippies.
Get a 2 or 3 gang of masons for the out side skin brick or block work.
Pay every friday for work completed, don't get involved if the carpenters budgie needs a by pass op!
Break the job down to manageable bite size pieces.
Try and keep to one trade at a time inside and once or twice a week make and serve the tea, then you will possibly be aware of any site stress or labour problems
HTH Regards Rodders

Latest posts

Back