Any opinions on smart meters?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rorschach":jh664wdx said:
MrTeroo":jh664wdx said:
As Nancy Reagan told us, just say no:

http://stopsmartmeters.org.uk/

What a shame that website is a looney bin.

Agreed.

tin13.jpg

:D

I see no reason why the electricity charges shouldn't be more variable. I have Economy 7 from necessity, but why can it not be more variable for all? The largest spike in energy use is between something like 5.00pm and 6.30pm - why is this not the most expensive power of the day? Much of the usage is people coming in from work and switching everything on, when much of it could be done by timers to run at the cheapest (or at least cheaper) time of the cycle. If the low is say 3.00am to 5.00am, that's when the washing machine should come on. Likewise tumble driers if they were made to be low fire risk - which they should be anyway. If the power used at peak were spread even by an hour or two it would be one fewer power stations we need - and we're coming to a time of inadequate generation so it should be seriously thought about now. I suspect ultimately that this is what smart meters are designed for, rather than to deter you from using your kettle full up.

They are reported to be anything from 100% accurate to 10000% inaccurate.

I'd certainly not go in for one just yet.
I dont mind reading the meters every 3 months and submitting online.

As I've got a wife and child in the house, there is bog all chance of cutting back much other than sly'ly changing lights to LED and tweaking the heating patterns, so to know exactly how muhc its costing would just add stress :lol:

Is it a coincidence they are promoted by the government and they were as I have been informed by SWMBO (Who is utterly against) invented by the brother of the engergy minister. you decide, they are also linked to serious health issues. so not having one at any time

Droogs":2ya2sbvb said:
Is it a coincidence they are promoted by the government and they were as I have been informed by SWMBO (Who is utterly against) invented by the brother of the engergy minister. you decide, they are also linked to serious health issues. so not having one at any time

Health issues like? The only ones I can see are the possibility of being burned to death, or having a heart attack from the stress.

Apparently they are linked to causes of various cancers, brain disorders etc. As I say been told this by SWMBO who jumped down my throat when I asked if we were getting one.

Mobile phones where meant to fry your brain/give you cancer etc now BT advertise there hub as the most powerful, things change...

Pete

Droogs":2xcoocfo said:
Apparently they are linked to causes of various cancers, brain disorders etc. As I say been told this by SWMBO who jumped down my throat when I asked if we were getting one.

SWMBO must have missed the next line about protecting yourself with a tin foil hat. There is no link to cancer, brain disorders, rabies, foot and mouth etc.

Rorschach":3m4dngk2 said:
Droogs":3m4dngk2 said:

SWMBO must have missed the next line about protecting yourself with a tin foil hat. There is no link to cancer, brain disorders, rabies, foot and mouth etc.

tin foil has been linked to Alzheimer.

novocaine":13hjlto6 said:
Rorschach":13hjlto6 said:
Droogs":13hjlto6 said:

tin foil has been linked to Alzheimer.

I don't think so. Can you point to a peer-reviewed research paper? The Canadian Alzheimer's Society says that it is inconclusive. And that only after a quick Google.

Of course, there is the excellent scientific journal 'Daily Mail'. ! :D

RogerS":1gfw4zjx said:
I don't think so. Can you point to a peer-reviewed research paper? The Canadian Alzheimer's Society says that it is inconclusive. And that only after a quick Google.

Of course, there is the excellent scientific journal 'Daily Mail'. ! :D

Of course I can't, you can't let a little thing like facts get in the way of scare mongering you know, that way madness lies. :lol:

is there really an article about tin foil?
I thought I'd made that up, aluminium pans were for a while but that was debunked.

"electrosensitives"... aww how cute.

If they were able to isolate smart meters as a problem from your average household/street of electromagnetic noise then I'm amazed.

phil.p":1rxb9wua said:
I see no reason why the electricity charges shouldn't be more variable. I have Economy 7 from necessity, but why can it not be more variable for all? The largest spike in energy use is between something like 5.00pm and 6.30pm - why is this not the most expensive power of the day? Much of the usage is people coming in from work and switching everything on, when much of it could be done by timers to run at the cheapest (or at least cheaper) time of the cycle. If the low is say 3.00am to 5.00am, that's when the washing machine should come on. Likewise tumble driers if they were made to be low fire risk - which they should be anyway. If the power used at peak were spread even by an hour or two it would be one fewer power stations we need - and we're coming to a time of inadequate generation so it should be seriously thought about now. I suspect ultimately that this is what smart meters are designed for, rather than to deter you from using your kettle full up.

+1
Also I am sure they could be programmed remotely so that those with a recognised need eg home kidney dialysis could have their supply safeguarded if/when cuts or brown outs occur.

Brian

I would have thought that people on life saving treatment (like dialysis or cardio monitoring/management or breathing equip) would have special arrangements put in place for power and water security. Without it the utilities would be causing harm and liable, surely?

Rorschach":3h6ahl4r said:
Robbo3":3h6ahl4r said:
My opinion - biggest scam going.
It's to save on either contracting out or having to employ people to read the meters thus increasing their already bloated profits. See who actually receives the profits from the water, power & train companies.

If it were that simple then they would just introduce a charge to have your meter read and those that submit their own readings would pay less.
It's about control, being able to quickly and easy shut down the power supply.

I do get a discounted rate as part of the package which involves me submitting accurate readings

I've recently had one installed by British Gas for both my gas and electricity and almost immediately my monthly instalments dropped. Can't think why so I'm expecting them to go up again soon!
They do supply a dinky little real time read-out of gas and lecky being used which is interesting.

John

Mine's with Scottish Power, fixed til 1/19. I put the reading in every few weeks and it immediately tells me whether I'm in credit or debit and whether the DD needs amending. I try to keep it just in credit over the year. Easy enough.

Back