Will smart meters be used for the rolling blackouts?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, if you pay to charge your (EV) batteries, they then use your battery capacity to supply your neighbours, and then you have to charge your batteries again, will that mean you have to pay again to then recharge your EV?
That's a really good question. The 15118-20 spec for the new EV charging technologies has a mind-boggling set of features to allow all sorts of cost per kWh levels for different times of the day (mainly for commercial charging). I would assume then that for domestic or commercial V2G either you'd get paid per kWh coming out of your car, or be effectively given "credit" to put back whatever was taken. Certainly it would have to be made fair - otherwise no one would agree to it.

there's no way that heat pumps and EVs will go online there or here without significant infrastructure improvement, but it's a false dilemma to imagine that the current grid has to accommodate all of that now. Grid update can come quickly if the government gets itself out of the way and incentivizes it. The same thing will occur here.

Still, my gas furnace draws about 400 watts when it's running.

a heat pump on a cold day here (ground source) probably still averages 5kw continuous. BILs is on a 60 amp switch for a 2400 square foot house (that's 240v) and I would guess that when the helper coil runs on really cold days, it can use most of that.

can't imagine trying to run something like that off of a battery.

Latest posts

Back