Any cyclists? Get the miles in!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just4Fun":3ieevf7v said:
Back in about 1986 I bought myself a brand new cycle, a Claud Butler Majestic like this one.
It was a major purchase for me at the time. I rode it a fair bit but I left the bike in the UK in 2004 after an extended visit. The bike sat in a relatives shed until last year when I was in the UK for a a couple of months without transport. I pulled out the bike and fettled it with new tyres & tubes and it was good to go. Unfortunately, after 15 years out of the saddle, I wasn't. I found that journeys I used to do without thinking had somehow become major expeditions. Did they stretch all the roads in the UK or something?

The other thing was I hadn't realised how much cycles had advanced since I bought this one. The rat traps on the pedals, gear change levers around my ankles, skinny little tyres, everything seems very dated compared to modern cycles. If I were to start cycling again I would definitely want a modern bike. As it is I am unlikely to do much cycling in the future and my bike is back in my relative's shed.
A traditional tourer, of its time, quite nice. Even now the 531 frame is still very decent. The big issue with it now is that it's got 27inch wheels (so an at best limited choice of tyres). You can put 700c wheels in that frame BUT you would need long reach brakes which are not favoured.
Rest assured though bikes now are not any different really.... it still hurts :lol:
If I still had one like that I would make it a fixed with 700c's, some long reach brakes, clipless pedals, mudguards and a saddlebag and ride it to work.

I have a zwift set up. If you're into cycling it can be quite engrossing. It's hard to get hold of the decent trainer's at the moment as it's just become, unsurprisingly, pretty popular. More and more of the pros are joining up and it's a bit of a thrill to be riding in a group with one. It's quite a social environment too. Lots of clubs, group rides, training and races. It's not the same as being outside but it's a good simulation given the constraints. If anyone wants any advice in setup or what to buy, just shout. I may not know all the answers but I know where to look! A lot of guys are year round on zwift, better than someone sticking a stick in your spokes.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Haha, not a crush! I just disagreed with Mike once and (he said) he put me on ignore, every now and again I'll test the waters by pointing out when he's being a hypocrite or rude or dismissive of others opinions without grounds or just generally egotistical. Not sure how he would know or not if I'm following him around, but I think this is about the second or third time I've done it purely for sport.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back