Getting from the car to work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am about to lose parking outside my workplace as the council “improves” access for cyclists, meaning I will have to park at least a half mile away. I need a way to travel from my car to work. I could walk or jog, but these have limited appeal. I was thinking of folding bike, but these are not cheap, so building a wood frame bike or even a recumbent is a possibility. An e-scooter is not, my better half will veto anything motorised…Any thoughts? Oh, probably should mention that I like this job
It’s only half a mile, that’s a very short walk unless you struggle with mobility.

Last edited:
Bike rack for the back of your car? Lots of designs available. Simplest and cheapest is the Paddy Hopkirk tow bar clip-on. Easy to fit one bike but can hold two with a bit of fiddling. The rack itself easy to take off and put in the boot.
Though a 20 minute half mile walk would be quite pleasant and less faff.

One steep incline, no pedestrians, moderate traffic, some storage available in work. Biggest issue is need to fit across the back seat of a small hatchback I live 10.5 miles from work but there is a mountain in between where cars need third gear in places
Bicycles have gears these days

The hill in question is sufficiently steep to be a magnet for pro cyclists to train on and has featured in many national races. Car drivers get quite grumpy when stuck behind a cyclist moving at walking pace. Nearest rail station is one mile away but rush hour trains with a bike are not my happy place

Caerphilly Mountain- not a mountain like the Alps but three miles of climbing in heavy traffic -the route is one of only two access roads to Cardiff from the north- takes the joy out of a daily commute

Back