Any cyclists? Get the miles in!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If only I could. I miss my bike. It's at the workshop and I'm stuck in the house 6 miles away, mind you not allowed past the garden gate until August :(

I wouldn't call myself a cyclist, but I just went out on my bike for the first time this year, for a little pootle round the very quiet Bristol streets. It was a bit busier on the Downs towards the Avon Gorge, but all the people I saw were out in small family groups, keeping their distance from everybody else, enjoying a spot of exercise. No aggro, no flouting of the rules. And yes, the near absence of cars made it all so much more enjoyable.

Please cyclists - stay on the road! There are far too many of you riding on the pavements and forcing pedestrians to step onto the road, or approaching unheard from behind and passing far closer than 2metres.

Blockplane":o44zdyb3 said:
Please cyclists - stay on the road! There are far too many of you riding on the pavements and forcing pedestrians to step onto the road, or approaching unheard from behind and passing far closer than 2metres.
Bods on 'bikes' they would be.

Five thousand miles a year on my bike, normally. This time last year I was training for a 1000 mile ride to Spain. Now I'm just starting to look at the bike shed and think......"maybe this week", but I'm still weak and tire easily. I can't wait.

It was like riding in the 1950''s (that's a guess btw)
Ive done the big ones... Audax rides.
1000k Salisbury Lands end Salisbury 72 hours.
Bristol Anglesey Bristol :shock:
And a 600k that we arranged ourself...
On fixed. Loads more... I dug out my brevet cards recently.
TT's but not that big on them. Lots of club riding but tend to go independent now.
All good and no better way to be fit.
And get well soon btw!

That would work":5gxvegtb said:
........And a 600k that we arranged ourself...
On fixed.......

Non-cyclists will have just drifted past that phrase, if they're even in the thread at all. Cyclists know that riding a fixie is a hell of a different thing to riding an ordinary bike. Not only do you only get the one gear, but you don't get the chance to coast, ever. If the wheels are turning, the pedals are turning. Going uphill in a gear higher than you'd want is bad enough, but when you roll over the crest into the descent, your legs turn into a blur trying to do 150+RPM to keep up with the bike. If you don't manage it, you probably fall off.

I used to ride a fixie occasionally only as a way to boost fitness in a hurry. It was a serious challenge.

-

My longest and last audax was 4 or 5 years ago......220 miles. That remains my highest mileage in a day, and I suspect I'll never even try to beat that again.

the cyclists who do go on the pavement are definitely in a tiny minority, I even distance myself from people 2 meters who are on the pavement whilst on the road, it's absolutely amazing how few cars there are around here, feels a lot safer than normal and cherry blossom looks great at the moment, yes get out there mike, you will love it, hope you feel better soon.

MikeG.":o31f766m said:
That would work":o31f766m said:
........And a 600k that we arranged ourself...
On fixed.......

Non-cyclists will have just drifted past that phrase, if they're even in the thread at all. Cyclists know that riding a fixie is a hell of a different thing to riding an ordinary bike. Not only do you only get the one gear, but you don't get the chance to coast, ever. If the wheels are turning, the pedals are turning. Going uphill in a gear higher than you'd want is bad enough, but when you roll over the crest into the descent, your legs turn into a blur trying to do 150+RPM to keep up with the bike. If you don't manage it, you probably fall off.

I used to ride a fixie occasionally only as a way to boost fitness in a hurry. It was a serious challenge.

-

My longest and last audax was 4 or 5 years ago......220 miles. That remains my highest mileage in a day, and I suspect I'll never even try to beat that again.
Ye just dropped that in..... and to all you bearded ones it's NOT the same as a "single speed"
I loved riding fixed 48x18.... twiddle like a bas####. And the real fun was getting to the bottom of a decent with people on gears!
My fixed bike is in the attic, an old Gillot 531. I need to get that going again. I've gone to the darkside a bit with a mountain bike and love going off to mid Wales in normal times.

That would work":20bidtsh said:
....... I've gone to the darkside a bit with a mountain bike.......

You, sir, are a vagabond and a rapscallion. May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your chamois....... :lol: :lol:

I've never seen so many wobbly cyclists as the last few weeks. Lots of people have just got back on one for the first time since they were about 15 I reckon :lol: I was in the workshop the other day and through the roller door heard an old boy puffing and blowing ( I live at the top of a hill) and he said "I'm too f-ing old for this now" Really tickled me.

Perhaps we could have a traffic free day once a month in memory of all those lost to this wretched virus.

I have also been out and cycled down roads that you would normally risk your life on.

TFrench":1kufhp55 said:
I've never seen so many wobbly cyclists as the last few weeks. Lots of people have just got back on one for the first time since they were about 15 I reckon :lol: I was in the workshop the other day and through the roller door heard an old boy puffing and blowing ( I live at the top of a hill) and he said "I'm too f-ing old for this now" Really tickled me.

If it was in South Derbyshire then it was probably me

Last bike I had was a Raleigh Chopper back in the 70's.

And before you knock it I would like to remind you all that it had 3 gears 8) 8) 8)

Ha, I used to ride fixed wheel back in the day

If memory served 13 tooth sprocket but don't hold me to it

The joys of slipping out of a rat trap and trying to get your toe back in again

These days I gather you have to have front and rear brakes on fixed wheel cycles?

I remember reading of a chap in London prosecuted as he hit a pedestrian on a fixed wheel and brakes were mentioned then

I could never afford a copper but mates had them

I rode them but can't say I was that impressed

A good Mk1 can fetch quite a bit

We used to build our own chopper type hybrids, most ended in disaster ;-)

Garno":2q2aqa22 said:
Last bike I had was a Raleigh Chopper back in the 70's.

And before you knock it I would like to remind you all that it had 3 gears 8) 8) 8)

Back