Any Computer Boffins?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil p

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

can anyone help.

My laptop wont play DVD's.

When you go into My Computer, the logo is there for the drive so it is being recognised, however when you put a DVD in it makes a noise as though the disc it trying to spin, and makes a whirring noise.

It has worked now and again but very rarely, more luck than anything, so I don't think its broke and the laptop is just about 18 months old.

Any ideas?

Cheers

hello .
i am no expert but i have had this problem many times on dvd players and cd players. i t could be as simple as the lazer lens being dirty. open up your cd/dvd drive and next to the spinny thing in the middle you will se the lazer reader/writer. clean the lens i have fixed countless cd players like that.

Go gently. Eyebrow brush is quite good or a gentle puff from a canister of air. Don't be sticking your air hose from your compressor into it. That's a no-no.

Question:- have you had one dvd play, then not? Is it a variety of DVD's that won't play? I seem to remember there being a "chip" in (some) dvd software that won't play certain dvd's via a computer....

Failing cleaning the lens, search the net for your computer software / troubleshooting, that's where i go for expert help!

try afterdawn.com
I always go there first for any electronic probs. A forum for "NERDS"

Koolwabbit

My laptop stopped playing DVDs after I first did a Vista reinstall. I forgot to install the DVD drivers though it still worked fine on data disks.
Once installed it was fine.

The second time I did a reinstall I remembered to install the drivers but the DVD didn't play. With a lot of digging around I found a tick box that wasn't ticked so the DVD software didn't run.
Once ticked it was fine.

The last time I did a reinstall I installed the drivers, looked for the tick box and it was ticked and DVDs played. Fine, I thought. However, it only plays DVD formats and not other video formats. Apparently some codecs are missing. So I tried to down load them but have messages telling me that I am not authorised to download any software. I reminded the laptop who's boss and tried again. Now it tells me that the download sites do not have adequate security clearance.

I still haven't solved that one yet so I will eventually reinstall Vista again and hope nothing else refuses to work.

What is the laptop Manufacturer and model number and OS?

Will the laptop accept and play CD's without issue?

Have you ever played movie DVD's before?

Have you checked in Device Manager for any problems?
In XP Right click My Computer / Properties / Device Manager. Click on '+' next to CD/DVD what does it say? and are there any yellow exclamation marks?

Are the required drivers and codecs installed for DVD?

Hi,

the DVD has been factory set to "Region 2".

Is that correct for this country?

Strange thing is it plays crappy free DVD's you get out magazines etc but won't play bought ones???

Really confusing

Region 2 is correct assuming you are in Europe.

Have you checked the items mentioned in my post - if so what was the result?

Which software application do you use to play DVD's?

Your post does not really give enough information therefore can only guess what is wrong - currently my guess is that you do not have the correct video codecs

These articles may be of help to you:
DVD Playback in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... ril15.mspx

Windows Media Player support for DVD playback is dependent upon the presence of a supported decoder, either hardware or software, and a supported DVD drive
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306318

Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility
Brief Description
The Windows XP Video Decoder Checkup Utility helps you determine if an MPEG-2 video decoder (also called a DVD decoder) is installed on your Windows XP computer and whether or not the decoder is compatible with Windows Media Player 10 and Windows XP Media Center Edition.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Hi,

It's a Dell inspion 1525 and runs on Vista.

It has played discs before, but very rarely, however it plays CD's no problem at all.

I haven't got a clue about codecs etc

I tried looking for the ticked boxes, but I think you specified XP?

Thanks for all your help

I do not have very much experience of Vista but I do understand that only certain versions have a DVD decoder as standard e.g.Vista home premium and windows Vista ultimate have a free dvd decoder installed.

Therefore before you can play commercial DVD's you will require the codecs which supply the information to your system to allow playback.

I think the simplest route for you is to download a trial version of something like Win DVD or Power DVD. Although time limited it should allow you to prove that system is ok (with the correct software) then you can decide if you want to buy.

You can download trial versions here:

Power DVD
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/tria ... en_US.html

WinDVD
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/ ... 2796555406

I had a similar problem with my Dell laptop which is running Vista, It was a codec issue , so I downloaded K-LITE codec pack, it now plays without any problems at all.

HTH

Steve :)

Hi,

which one do you download?

Just tried one before and it didn't make any difference?

Phil

Do you mean you downloaded the trial version to your HDD then ran the setup and the program did not work?

For Power DVD9 - Click on try now, then fill in your name details as requested then press download button and save program to your HDD. Then you will need to run the program to install to your system.

For WinDVD you will need to sign in to create an account as above and download the application and run it.

For K-lite try http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm and I suggest that you select the full package - never know what you may need!

Just tried the K-LITE

Still no joy

Arrrrhhhhhhhhh!!!

Must admit I'm not too bright on these sort of things!!

Not quite sure what to make of the problem. But to try and get any further will require you doing some basic checks and reporting back your findings.

In theory PowerDVD or WinDVD trial versions should have given you the required DVD playback. So there could be a number of reasons (including flaky Vista drivers) and you will need to start at the beginning making some basic checks. First are you absolutely sure your system is fitted with a DVD drive - most likely it is (most modern systems use DVD rather than CD) sorry to have to ask but trying to eliminate the possibility of only having CD device.

1. What DVD's have you been trying to play and what if any success have you had?

2. Please check in Device Manager for the exact manufacturer and model number of your DVD
In Vista to access Device Manager, go to Start start menu | Control Panel | System and Maintenance | System | Device Manager A list of hardware will display like the one shown below.
devicemanger.jpg

Click on the '+' next to the DVD/CD drive entries and select your listed DVD.
Are there any yellow or red exclamation marks?
What exactly does it say for this entry?
Next right click on the DVD entry and select properties from the menu. A dialogue box will open with various tabs - make a note of what information is contained under each tab and report back

3. You stated that you downloaded either PowerDVD or WinDVD. Could you explain precisely which one, how you downloaded and installed it and what result you get when you either a. Try and run a DVD or b. Click on the application to run it?

4. Similar to the above what did you do exactly with the K-Lite download?

5. What else have you tried e.g.
Cleaning the lens?
Any new drivers installed for your system?
Other?

6. Assuming the device is a DVD writer have you ever tried burning your own DVD's?

Cheers :D
Tony

Hi,

I tried to download the K-LITE standard, it did download but basically done nothing as in I still couldn't play the DVD.

Silly thing is it does on very very rare occaisons work.

I have tried cleaning the lens.

The rewriter number (when you click on the + in device manager) is

PBDS DVD +- RW DS 8W1P ATA DEVICE

This is the only info shown.

Any ideas?

Phil,

First of all let me say I'm in no way a computer expert but your problem seems very similar to one which I had with my Dell vostro running windows vista basic.
The problem I had was that when a disc in DVD format was inserted into the drive the drive would sound as though it was checking the disc and then nothing, but it would play VCD and SVCD format no problem.
After a bit of research on the net I found out that vista doesn't come supplied with a codec to play DVD's ( something to do with copyright ), so I was recommended to K-LITE , I've just checked my machine and it was the full package I downloaded. As soon as it was on my machine I had no problems what so ever.

HTH

Steve :)

Back