Another question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pip

Established Member
Reaction score
In your opinion, which is the better chuck for a newbie to turning, the "Supa Nova 2", or the "Versa-Chuck"? and why?
Hope I've not opened the proverbial can of worms !!!
T.I.A.
pip

hi Pip
as a newbie myself i dont really see that it matters, i bought a Sorby patriot as my first chuck and have now just recieved a super nova II free with my new lathe, but which one would be best, hmm dont know.

I can't actually fault the Patriot. I grudgingly bought it due to budgetery restrictions. But so far so good.

Firstly I must say I don't own either of the chucks you mention - however I did look into a number of chucks before I bought my own, so my comments may be of use.

I'd say that any currently available scroll chuck operated using a single key would be very suitable for a novice woodturner. Two fo the most important factors when choosing a chuck are:

1. Will it fit your lathe? Are inserts available for it that are suitable for your lathe spindle size?

2. Are there a good range of jaw sets available for it at reasonable cost?

When I was looking at buying a second chuck, I was very tempted by the Versa-chuck, for two main reasons. It has a huge variety of inserts avialable, so if I changed my lathe to one with a different spindle size it would be highly likely I'd be able to change the insert and the chuck would fit the new lathe. The other thing I liked about it was the ability to use jaws from a number of different suppliers with the Versa-chuck, which makes it a very flexible and expanable system.

In the end I didn't buy one, which basically came down to cost. My first chuck was a Fox FX4000 which takes the same jaws as both Vicmark and Record Power RP4000 chucks and only cost £55 new last year. When I decided earlier this year that a second chuck would be useful, there were no more FX4000s to be had - everyone was out of stock, and I very nearly bought a Versa-chuck as I'd be able to use all my existing jaw sets with it. However while I was procrastinating about the Versa-chuck, the FX4000 came back into stock, albeit about a tenner more expensive, so I bought another one of those.

I've since had the opportunity to use a Vicmarc chuck (which I think the FX4000 may be a copy of). Yes, the Vicmarc one is smoother to use and is much better finished. However, they both hold wood just as well as each other.

However, if the FX4000 had never existed and I was choosing a chuck for the very first time, I would go with the Versa-chuck for it's ability to use a variety of manufacturer's jaw sets.

tekno.mage

I had a SuperNova and Patriot, and got a Versachuck when I got a new lathe ... I got into trouble and could have had a big incident when one of the jaws came off the Versachuck at speed ... there's no "end stop", if you keep opening the jaws come out. Yes, it's versatile ... if I had dozens of different makes of jaws, but I don't, just a collection of Nova jaws. The Versachuck has been relegated to holding the shimmed-up-to-be-flat big axminster bowl jaws - everything else I do on the others.

I would get a SuperNova or a Patriot if I was starting now ...

I have a vicmarc and a record myself (and a box of the old chucks you used to have to assemble with elastic bands, remember them).
Just out of curiosity what is the difference between say my vic and the versa, patriot etc?
I thought they all had a good range of jaws.
Time I treated myself to a new chuck and it is my birthday in a couple of weeks :D :D

Thanks for the replies folks, another contender is the record RP4000, this has an integrated indexing ring which may come in handy in the far distant future.
Got a few days before next months assault on the credit card, so have time to study the suggestions (and confuse myself even more)
Thanks again,
pip

Martyn":3lqa3dvs said:
(and a box of the old chucks you used to have to assemble with elastic bands, remember them).
:D :D

Martyn, are you referring to the old Multistar Duplex chuck? If so and you're not using them I could be interested in any jaws you may have surplus to requirements.

Back