Axminster SK114 chuck, would it be overkill for a standard lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy's Shed

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently I was given a nice Charnwood W812 lathe and I'm very much enjoying getting to grips with woodturning, more so than I ever imagined I would.

I can see the benefits of using a chuck and I've looked at a few that are available, so I'm trying to future proof my choice of chuck as best as possible. I've watched several videos on the Nova, the Charnwood Viper 3 and the Axminster SK114 chuck package .

The SK114 is more expensive but it does look as though it's a quality chuck, also Axminster have the Black Friday and the SAVE10 deal on at the moment which brings the price down to a more acceptable level. Thanks for posting about the deal by the way!

So with regards to future proofing this leads me to another quandary, would the M33 x 3.5mm mount be the best option (and get a thread insert to suit my machine)? Is this a fairly standard sizing with modern lathes? Also I see that there's a reverse locking option a available and although my lathe doesn't have that feature, a future upgrade might well have?

Does the above make sense, or am I perhaps missing something that I should consider too?

Thanks for any advice.

Edit: I think I should have posted this in the buying advice section, whoops.

Last edited:
I'd suggest that if you want to 'future proof' your purchase you should consider a chuck with interchangeable inserts (Nova, Record, Versachuck) rather than rely on an adaptor.
It's possible that a future lathe might not have a M33 thread. There are some fantastic older lathes that are absolute bargains secondhand that have imperial threads.

The SK114 is a very nice bit of tackle, with a full set of thread adaptors available (and a good range of other well designed and made accessories) - I wouldn't hesitate to treat myself (if I hadn't already!)...

I have Record CL4 older lathe with 3/4 x 16tpi headstock. I have 4 Nova chucks all bought 2nd hand and so loads of jaws which are interchangable. I have inserts for all 4 which causes no problems. Check out e bay - there's even one with a set of cole jaws

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18564318...nitFSX2OIuKFAiruUWrL2PXgM=|tkp:Bk9SR8TJoJuXYQ
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29535479...5g8T7V6FyuntGDSuczvjN7PJs=|tkp:Bk9SR8DJoJuXYQ
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23478880...s4UdOmfSaSS3zP/K07fyjEmRk=|tkp:Bk9SR8DJoJuXYQ

I'd suggest that if you want to 'future proof' your purchase you should consider a chuck with interchangeable inserts (Nova, Record, Versachuck) rather than rely on an adaptor.
It's possible that a future lathe might not have a M33 thread. There are some fantastic older lathes that are absolute bargains secondhand that have imperial threads.

The SK114 is certainly a good chuck, and I own one, but it's main failing is that has a fixed thread and can't be changed to other sizes.

Oh crumbs, thanks for pointing that out to me! I incorrectly thought that they all used a similar adapter system.

Time to start over. 🤫

If you have an M33 thread you can buy inserts up to 1" x 8tpi, beyond that you'd have to use an adaptor. Things like old graduate lathes are 1¼ inch dia spindles so an M33 chuck would end up further out from the headstock.
Inserts are available from many online sources, not just the original manufacturer

I emailed Charnwood a couple of days ago asking about their chucks and suitability for my lathe, it looks as though mine has a 3/4" x 16 tpi thread. I'll have a look at the Record SC4. (y)

Back