Outgrown my lathe?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keep a look out for a second hand one of these. Used by many demonstrators they have a very useful 14” swing for such a compact lathe.

https://www.axminstertools.com/ideas-advice/axminster-woodturning-lathe-review/
Thanks for this. I started with a Record DML24 20+ years ago, later a Myford ML8 which I sold when a house move meant a change of direction. I've now got a bit of an itch to get a bench top lathe, and this sounds a good option. I'm very unlikely to need to turn anything beyond its capabilities. Good write up too.

Thanks for this. I started with a Record DML24 20+ years ago, later a Myford ML8 which I sold when a house move meant a change of direction. I've now got a bit of an itch to get a bench top lathe, and this sounds a good option. I'm very unlikely to need to turn anything beyond its capabilities. Good write up too.
Axminster must have sold loads of these over the years. The early ones were cream in colour. Simon Hope sells them as well in a different colour. They are also sold in Germany, Canada and America. Probably all made in Taiwan.

Someone is selling an Axminster AWSL 1000 on here which would seem an ideal upgrade - 14 inch capacity over the bed and swivel head.

I used to have the smaller version (900) and it was great. Mechanical variable speed, but cheap and simple. Could make surprisingly big stuff too (18" with head turned).

Back