Amn't...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I amn’t seems perfectly correct to me and I remember hearing it spoken when I was a child in South Yorkshire about 70 years ago.

Courtesy of my Irish upbringing, I tend to still use "amn't" in conversation (as opposed to "I'm not", in case you're confused)

It seems to amuse people....but why?
Can't, won't, aren't, etc., are used all the time, so why not amn't?!
Whyn’t indeed?

On a similar but different theme, could someone explain exactly what won't is a contraction of? I vaguely remember being told it's 'will not', but how does that contract to won't...and why isn't there a willn't?

It's a great language!

On a similar but different theme, could someone explain exactly what won't is a contraction of? I vaguely remember being told it's 'will not', but how does that contract to won't...and why isn't there a willn't?

It's a great language!
Straight copy from Wiki - - - From earlier wonnot, from Middle English wynnot, wilnot, wolnot, wilnat, a contraction of Middle English will not, wil not, wyll not, will noght, wil noht, willi noȝt, wyl nat, wol not, woll not, wole not, wolle not, wol nat, woll nat, etc., equivalent to a will +‎ not and/or woll +‎ not.

Funny : "I amn't" is not something I remember hearing and sounds upside down to me.

"......, amn't I ?" at the end of a sentence, and meaning "am I not ?" as a mild emphasis is one I've heard several times over the years and is perfectly sensible grammar. Most would say "aren't I ?" these days probably because it's easier to get your tongue around.

Straight copy from Wiki - - - From earlier wonnot, from Middle English wynnot, wilnot, wolnot, wilnat, a contraction of Middle English will not, wil not, wyll not, will noght, wil noht, willi noȝt, wyl nat, wol not, woll not, wole not, wolle not, wol nat, woll nat, etc., equivalent to a will +‎ not and/or woll +‎ not.
Thanks J-G, I never even thought to look before posting.

Funny : "I amn't" is not something I remember hearing and sounds upside down to me.

"......, amn't I ?" at the end of a sentence, and meaning "am I not ?" as a mild emphasis is one I've heard several times over the years and is perfectly sensible grammar. Most would say "aren't I ?" these days probably because it's easier to get your tongue around.
Aren't is just pure bad grammar, and I for one amn't havin it.

Surely it’s from “would not”

Latest posts

Back