Alf

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought Brad was referring to her signature, clearly not the timing of the post? I'm assuming that it has been updated recently...?

Well, I don't know Alf, but her Blog http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.com/ has just been updated, and in it she says that she has had a look around the fora (plural, you'll note!) and finds them all a bit depressing. She doesn't say anything about contributing, but does say that life has got in the way of woodworking.

Funnily enough, she says that the things about fora that she finds depressing are conversations about "bevel up or bevel down?" or "LN, Worth the money?".......which are exactly the same things as bore me to tears. Ho hum.....

Mike

It's just like woodworking mags. These conversations are perpetual. Some of use put up with them, some of us tire of them. We have members joining all the time who are either new to woodworking or new to these debates. This is why the forum continues to exist. Many of the original regular members have faded away and it's completely understandable. I think the biggest issue with Alf is that she's not actually been doing any woodworking at all. So she's not in the mind frame.

Mike you need to get that lathe. It'll bring a whole new subject for you to join in with :lol:

Tom you're right, apart from the lathe bit of course, a forum like this needs new blood to keep it going as others drift away. I like to think of it as an online community in which you should give as much as you receive, I remember asking what table saw I should buy and getting a lot of useful advice. This kind of question comes up a lot and it's tempting to just ignore it, but by giving something back you're hopefully bringing someone new in and the energy and interest they have.

Or am I just a wannabe hippy

I know we have a lot of the same old debates and you pick and choose which ones to participate in, but there's a lot more variety here than on something like a Les Paul guitar forum

OPJ":2nkwxosa said:
I thought Brad was referring to her signature, clearly not the timing of the post? I'm assuming that it has been updated recently...?

That's what I thought I was referring to, too!

This signiture was not on Alf's posts a week or so ago, so she has obviously been in and added it. I only linked to that old post because it was the one I noticed the change on. Presumably all her old posts now have the new signiture.

I'm just pleased to see signs of life.

Now, whatever happened to Scrit?

Brad

wizer":po4f4z00 said:
Mike you need to get that lathe. It'll bring a whole new subject for you to join in with :lol:

Tom,

if I bought a lathe after everything I have said on here, I would just never, ever hear the end of it..........so expect me to disappear quietly from the forum first!

Mark,

I don't care :D It is a sharp wedge I scrape over timber. This "bevel up or bevel down" discussion always reminds of Gulliver's Travels, and the huge debate they have over which end of a boiled egg to crack open.

Mike

wizer":3t0kmld9 said:
It's just like woodworking mags. These conversations are perpetual. Some of use put up with them, some of us tire of them. We have members joining all the time who are either new to woodworking or new to these debates. This is why the forum continues to exist. Many of the original regular members have faded away and it's completely understandable. I think the biggest issue with Alf is that she's not actually been doing any woodworking at all. So she's not in the mind frame.

Spot on here Tom. Alf's contribution to forum discussions and her knowledge of all things galootish was invaluable.
...not forgetting of course, her sense of humour :wink: She actually needs to get back and do stuff in her 'shop as well. She could also do with going to a good Bash...I wonder if His Nibbship could giver her a lift to the GSB? - Rob

Must say the bevel up/down type debates become sterile for me mostly because in the end there's often a hidden agenda at work - based on either (a) no willingness to entertain another view, or (b) an intention to force a 'mine's best' view on others.

It's very understandable that we cling to what we are familiar with, but i guess most of the time we should stand back and conclude that more than one option works when you hear capable people saying they are happy with them.

The task then becomes not to win some argument, but to tease out how exactly and in what circumstances it is that specific methods seem to work well....

mark w":32wz832l said:
mike,
Which end of an egg do you crack open first? :lol:

Regards, Mark w

Ah....therein lies the rub, Mark. As with the bevel up/ bevel down debate I can stand aloof........I don't eat boiled eggs!

Mike

What's a bevel anyway?
This forum is realy good and I will tell you why....
Unlike other hobbies, or even doing woodie things for a living, you never ever know it all.
You still make mistakes, you still have problems when designing, and you still have problems remembering how you did such a thing several years earlier.
There are new products to ask about, new finishes to ask about and how why and where to buy stuff.
To me it's an endless pot of knowledge, all dispenced
'In the best possible Taste!'
Some hiss taking, some serious stuff, and very occasionally some one gets banned!!!!!.but not often.
In general we are all nice people who want to help or comment to help, and it's fun.
See you all in church next Sunday!!!! :lol:

Ps tears came to my eyes reading this again!!!
Mikeeee

Back