Aldi Impulse Buy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBaz

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
On a recent visit to Aldi I came across (and bought) this set of matching left-hand and right-hand twist drill bits along with a hand-held bit-holder.

C68AA1EC-8F11-4EC9-B853-F7139B0DC9E6_1_105_c.jpeg

It was purely an "impulse buy" and (like so many other tools I have) I had no particular need for them, but at £6 or so ......... and I liked the case!

Having got them home, I am wondering under what circumstances I might use a left-hand twist drill? More to the point, when would a hand-held twist drill bit holder be useful?

Any thoughts?

Left hand drill bits are an option for removing screws that have lost their heads, and unreachable for screw-removing bits.

I find that Lidl and Aldi are ok for one-off tools. Like, Things you wanna have in case you need them or only for 1 job. If it breaks through normal use after a while, You know that you use that tool or thing enough to justify buying a better quality branded one.

That being said, The band clamps are awesome, and they sometimes do sets of not-dremel bits which is cool. Also, I got a couple of Japanese pull saws from there last year, which have served their workshop really well.

I don't think I'd want to buy a 'Big' tool from there though. Last thing I got was a cordless 'Vehicle impact wrench', and it was (Still is, I assume) useless. Couldn't loosen or tighten wheel nuts beyond slightly below hand-tight... Which it's main reason for existing.

The only Aldi power tool I have is a shop vac and that works fine, I have a few Lidl tools and some are good and some not so good. The good are the bench mounted disc sander and their belt sander, the not so good are the 12v mini grinder (Dremel type) that works and has worked for years but it vibrates too much and is very noisy, their 240v Nail gun, which even on high power struggled the sink its nails , especially the long ones, and that was into soft wood and their 240v Jig Saw which was just too noisy to use. Still on the lookout each month for something new and useful coming along so not been put off yet though.

Left hand drill bits are like down cut router bits.
They give a better/cleaner edge to the top surface.😉😉🤪🤪

Last edited:
These are some drills I bought from Aldi, made from Cheeseium I think.
The first bent in the drill the second I bent with my fingers!

Attachments

• 20230522_112443.jpg
    20230522_112443.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I actually love this one item from aldi I would not buy anything else ever.

Attachments

• 16870854684992853057050648409243.jpg
    16870854684992853057050648409243.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 16870855522102815005444234511158.jpg
    16870855522102815005444234511158.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I got a Lidl belt sander last year. Noisy and a bit small, but 100% better than no belt sander! Also, their clamps are pretty good, I try to get more when I see them, budget permitting. I got an Aldi crimping tool set in about 2003, and it's better than any other I've seen apart from an old ('90's) Halfords one which was decent and I very sadly lost :(. However, I wouldn't buy Aldi tools now though, they just look cr@p. I got a set of their "file" (rasp?) drill bits a few years ago and to be honest they aren't much better than abusing a normal bit! Also got a cone bit from them that's mostly decorative (tbh, I got a set of same from Lidl and they are only marginally better). I have a set of Lidl jobber drill bits, they come in a proper stand up case (which is what sold it to me, really. The bits are ok, some are sharp, some are tolerable, I think 2 or 3 are terrible, but at least they don't bend! (and I can sharpen them) I've been trying their other types of drill bits. The spur point ones seem ok so far, not used much but they seem quite sharp. The plug cutters, also cut ok but I'm not sure the i/d and o/d match is very good. Not tried the flat bits yet.

Hand held twist drill holders are useful on those delicate occasions when you would otherwise be using the drill with your fingers. There's been a few occasions I haven't quite bought one!

I find it amusing that we have an Aldi tools are rubbish thread running at the same time that we have a Festool tools are garbage thread running.
I suppose one supplies things that are expected to be poor and the other is the opposite?
However, I buy bits and pieces from Lidl-in-the-middle racks occasionally and they have, so far, been fit for purpose. You decide before you buy.
I did buy a wildlife camera from Aldi a long time ago and it's still going strong.

Back