• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Air stapler / nailer guidance please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

fred55

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi find myself needing a nailer mostly to mend make fence panels, but also to use in my hobby workshop so a nailer/stapler. I think I need one that shots 18g 10 to 50mm. Out of my depth here so any comments or recommendations. I have a good old compressor used mostly to blow tyres up so air seems logical. Looking at a Sealey £58.25 but any thoughts !.

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
My first nail gun was a combined 18gauge nailer/stapler from Machine Mart many years ago, it still works fine but I only use it as a stapler these days as the firing pin is the width of the staple head so when firing nails it leaves a large dent in the wood.

Lazurus

Established Member
Reaction score
If you go for a first fix gun ensure it suits popular collated nails, mine (Axminster) is an odd ball size which limits me where I can get nails (Axminster only)

monster

Established Member
Reaction score
If you want one that doubles as both a nailer and a stapler, Bostitch do the below model:

fred55

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for comment - thanks Lazurus never considered the staples thought they were all universal ! never too old to learn. looks like watching out for a Bostitch.

gog64

Established Member
Reaction score
I have that model Bostitch and it’s very good. I originally bought it when I was making lots of aviary panels, but it’s so light, useful & reliable I’ve found I use it frequently. Let me know if I can answer any questions about that model.

Spectric

Established Member
Reaction score
Both Bostitch and Senco are good for 18g brads and use common brads so no issue with single source.

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
This has come up a few times and each time I recommend the £20 Silverline 18g nailer. It is without doubt one of the best 20 quid you can spend. I've used mine for around 5 years and it has never jammed, even when used constantly for 8 hours at a time and mine has fired around 10K nails. I think Custard usues one of these as well

harryc

Established Member
Reaction score
Same as Droogs only I have had mine for just over a year and for such a cheap item it’s been great.

fred55

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks Droogs n harryc recommendations like this are very helpful - just put in a cheeky offer on a nearly new Bostitch (£50 inc case), give it a couple of days before I buy ! but silverline at £20 and recommended from this site my mind is made up (silverline). Thanks all.

Simon89

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone filed Down the firing pin on their silverline to reduce the dent left on the wood? Good idea or bad?