Air stapler / nailer guidance please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred55

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi find myself needing a nailer mostly to mend make fence panels, but also to use in my hobby workshop so a nailer/stapler. I think I need one that shots 18g 10 to 50mm. Out of my depth here so any comments or recommendations. I have a good old compressor used mostly to blow tyres up so air seems logical. Looking at a Sealey £58.25 but any thoughts !.

My first nail gun was a combined 18gauge nailer/stapler from Machine Mart many years ago, it still works fine but I only use it as a stapler these days as the firing pin is the width of the staple head so when firing nails it leaves a large dent in the wood.

If you go for a first fix gun ensure it suits popular collated nails, mine (Axminster) is an odd ball size which limits me where I can get nails (Axminster only)

Thanks for comment - thanks Lazurus never considered the staples thought they were all universal ! never too old to learn. looks like watching out for a Bostitch.

I have that model Bostitch and it’s very good. I originally bought it when I was making lots of aviary panels, but it’s so light, useful & reliable I’ve found I use it frequently. Let me know if I can answer any questions about that model.

This has come up a few times and each time I recommend the £20 Silverline 18g nailer. It is without doubt one of the best 20 quid you can spend. I've used mine for around 5 years and it has never jammed, even when used constantly for 8 hours at a time and mine has fired around 10K nails. I think Custard usues one of these as well

Same as Droogs only I have had mine for just over a year and for such a cheap item it’s been great.

Thanks Droogs n harryc recommendations like this are very helpful - just put in a cheeky offer on a nearly new Bostitch (£50 inc case), give it a couple of days before I buy ! but silverline at £20 and recommended from this site my mind is made up (silverline). Thanks all.

Has anyone filed Down the firing pin on their silverline to reduce the dent left on the wood? Good idea or bad?

This has come up a few times and each time I recommend the £20 Silverline 18g nailer. It is without doubt one of the best 20 quid you can spend. I've used mine for around 5 years and it has never jammed, even when used constantly for 8 hours at a time and mine has fired around 10K nails. I think Custard usues one of these as well
... and where do you find a £20 Silverline 18g nailer? All I have found is twice that price...

... and where do you find a £20 Silverline 18g nailer? All I have found is twice that price...
I think you’re falling foul of the low stock and inflated prices at the moment. Whether prices will ever fall to that level again is anyones guess but it’s a bad time to buy tools at the moment…

Alea jacta est...
I've looked around - and thought hard... I understand fully the advice that an air-driven gun is much more reliable and damages the wood less and may cost £20 in an uninflated world.
The help and advice on here has been really useful. Even if you don't follow all of the advice, it is great to be able to make a decision that is well informed. I have worked in wood for over 65 years - some of that time professionally - but the plethora of toys now available makes me weep with envy(!)
But two factors sway me. First is the fact that I'm going to need this beast on a job down in a Deepest Welsh Valley - so transporting a compressor as well as everything else will be a right pita. Second is that I only have around 10sqm of workshop space and I really can't justify taking up the space of a compressor, even though the ability to blast air around dusty crevices - and spray paint like Repair Shop Dom - as well as driving brads neatly and jam-free.
So I've ordered a Ryobi cordless beast. I have plenty of Makita batteries - so I've also ordered a Badaptor (thank you, whoever suggested that on here!) Hope I don't regret it!!!
(Sadly, the kit will arrive promptly - and then have to sit around, unused, till the Badaptor wends its slow way towards the Man Cave...)

Latest posts

Back