Advice on 'Dremel' attachments, please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan2001

Established Member
Reaction score
I know it's got a plug, but come on, you use it with your hands and very often use it for woodie purposes, right? Especially for bringing old hand tools to life. I couldn't see a more relevant forum and I know you guys are all knowledgeable and helpful and good looking etc. etc. etc. :lol: (But mods, please move it to the relevant forum if there is one?)

So I have this Performance Power/B&Q "Dremel" style rotary multitool with hundreds of accessories. Unfortunately the manual assumes you know what they all are, what they all do, and how to use them. I do use this machine for woodwork related things all the time, and I love it, but I'm probably not using it to its full potential. By the way, the main tool body is clamped under the front of the bench, and I nearly always use the flexible shaft attachment to cut down on noise and weight. Here are most of the bits and pieces:

bitsw.jpg

Anyway, some questions:

A) I think I've figured out that the blue discs (7, 16, 17) are silicon carbide. the pink ones (6) are aluminium oxide, and strangely, so are the orange ones (18, 19, 20). please tell me which type/colour is best for which jobs?

B) what would i use a rubber emery wheel (10) for? apart from my fingernails, obviously, but polishing... shining... what?

C) the silicone carbide dressing wheel (13) is to be used for flattening a grinding wheel, right? which one(s)?

D) the green polishing compound (tub 49) is pretty much solid. should it be? what's it called? can i fix it? in fact, how AM I supposed to use it? I suspect I've been doing that wrong all this time, bodging it with the green coloured cloth disc (11).

E) where's the best place for replacement 3.2mm bits and bobs? especially wire brushes and small flap wheels. someone did give me one vendor I forget right now, anywhere else? (hammer) and are official Dremel 3.2 parts compatible?

Anyway, sorry for all the daft questions. I know I could have asked Google, but I'm pretty sure Google isn't a friendly woodworker.

Thanks in advance folks. :) :oops:

My Lord Alan....that's a big ask....

Ok...here's what I use the Dremel for...

The cutting discs are superbly accurate for cutting 01 steel up to about 3mm for making irons for planes...they keep to the line perfectly if you are slow and take short passes...if you kink it they shatter so have a big pot of them...

DSC_0605.JPG

DSC_0609.JPG

The little burrs and wire brushes are perfect for getting paint out of plane bodies...in the nooks and crannies gently!

020820091117.jpg

The stones are pretty useless really...they wear really quickly....

Drills...perfect for small holes but use a stand...you can make one easily out of wood or adapt anything that goes up and down.

The flappy sandpaper disks are useless...they clog up too much...

Spiral bits are brilliant though I doubt if you have any in that pack...get some off of FleaBay...

Router bits...if you can get them are a gem for delicate work but get or make and attachment...even this thing can be painful if it slips.

Get a Dremel or a Proxxon...substitutes are ok but don't last that long in my experience.

Jim

Jim, Jim, Jim... I wasn't asking what a Dremel was for... I use it all the time for many things!

All my questions were underneath the big photo!

I know this thing was cheap (about £25, maybe 10 years ago?) but it's still going strong. There's no way I would have spent the money on a proper Dremel at that time.

Anyway, if you could have another go, it would be most appreciated, my friend. :D

jimi43":1hyqe1qf said:
My Lord Alan
Just 'Alan' will be fine. :wink:

Huge apologies... :roll:

A) I think I've figured out that the blue discs (7, 16, 17) are silicon carbide. the pink ones (6) are aluminium oxide, and strangely, so are the orange ones (18, 19, 20). please tell me which type/colour is best for which jobs?

No idea...they are probably all different grits for cutting different things....my Dremel ones are all grey.

B) what would i use a rubber emery wheel (10) for? apart from my fingernails, obviously, but polishing... shining... what?

Fingernails is probably right.

C) the silicone carbide dressing wheel (13) is to be used for flattening a grinding wheel, right? which one(s)?

Grinding wheels flatten on cheese in my experience...and wear in about three seconds on most things harder than that...I don't use them much.

D) the green polishing compound (tub 49) is pretty much solid. should it be? what's it called? can i fix it? in fact, how AM I supposed to use it? I suspect I've been doing that wrong all this time, bodging it with the green coloured cloth disc (11).

It's probably a grinding or polishing paste to use with the little mop things...again...I don't have anything like that. I have some jeweller's rouge...it does me for polishing and for that I use a cloth or a wheel on the grinder.

E) where's the best place for replacement 3.2mm bits and bobs? especially wire brushes and small flap wheels. someone did give me one vendor I forget right now, anywhere else? (hammer) and are official Dremel 3.2 parts compatible?

FleaBay is the best source. There is little point in buying real Dremel ones as they are probably from the same Chinese factory....Proxxon ones might be better...they are much more expensive and I understand last longer. The little brass grinding wheels are good. I tend to buy a lot of what I need knowing it doesn't last long. I used the appropriate "bits" where nothing else will do...mostly for delicate jobs above...

My guess is that kit has loads of things that you probably won't or can't use for much to allow them to say it's a 1000 piece kit...you know the trick...count every screw marketing... :wink:

In my experience...get a good tool with lots of torque...buy bits for it as you need them from fleaBay....

Just my 2p worth

Jim

...buy bits for it as you need them from fleaBay....
Agree, except for those "toolmaker ape" moments. You know the sort of thing - rummaging in the box of bits for inspiration to solve an extraordinary problem, or surveying the garden litter for a stone or stick "just so" - always useful to have a broad array of oddments which might fill a gap in the next jerry rig :)

I think this is a really interesting question, and will be watching the answers closely, as I too have bought one of those multi-packs which was probably about a tenner in a Maplin's sale.

I can answer your question about the rubbery wheels - they are ideal on soft metals such as silver or gilding metal, which you might use in jewellery making. First, saw and and file your metal to shape, then use abrasives, then use these to get to a first scratch-free polish.

I've only ever used a dremel in a Steward Mac base with a small router bit so its interesting to see what they're supposedly used for

How do u make the 'line' initially in the plan iron blank? Carbide scribe?

LuptonM":e0ppi8pl said:
I've only ever used a dremel in a Steward Mac base with a small router bit so its interesting to see what they're supposedly used for

How do u make the 'line' initially in the plan iron blank? Carbide scribe?

I have a hardened scribe...it scores the soft unhardened 01 steel quite deeply...

The discs are very thin so they follow the groove and once they get going...cut quite fast. Keep the speed down and keep it moving square as you can...once it deviates...it snaps. I used about 3 discs to cut that shoulder iron.

Jim

@ Alan 2001,

Hope the following is not too long – lots of people have given me lots of v. helpful info on here in the past so I’m pleased to return the favour on some stuff I know a bit about.

Not being a “proper woodworker” (I just do bits of wood mangling n bits of metal bashing) I can help you with some of the things in your set. As someone has already said, your set contains “stuff” that covers just about every area of hobby work. It’s therefore unlikely that you’ll find a use for all of the items unless your interests and activities are v broad indeed. And I’m definitely NOT saying that any of the following is gospel truth and the “proper” way to do stuff. But here’s what works for me (using your numbering in the original photo):

Items 1 & 2 – these are EXCELLENT aluminium oxide “sanding drums” ideal for tackling all sorts of metal and wood working cleaning up and shaping jobs (e.g. just today I was cleaning the corrosion out of the inside of some metal water pipe). Just mount them onto your item numbers (can’t quite see the numbers, looks like items 31 & 32, but anyway, they’re above your number 5). BTW, if your’s are anything like mine you’ll find it very useful to remove the rubber drum from the shaft, fit a big washer (same dia as the rubber drum dia), then re-fit the drum, then fit another washer on top. When changing the sanding drums themselves (they wear out pretty quickly depending on the material you’re working on) remove washer/drum/washer from the shaft, then remove/replace the sanding drum (in reverse order of course!). As said they often wear out pretty quickly and I find it handy to have a good stock of both sizes on hand all the time. Here (Switz) the official Dremel ones are cheap enough – I cant speak about UK prices except to say that I THINK Axminster have them in stock, and just recently Arc Euro Trade had packs of the small ones on special offer. (http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk – an EXCELLENT company in all respects - usual disclaimers). I certainly wouldn’t mess about with flea bay for stuff like this.

Item 14 – personally I really disagree that the flap wheels are useless – I think they’re EXCELLENT. As always, it depends what you’re using them for and on what material. I frequently use them for final shaping on model aircraft bits (not just balsa but ply, EP, GRP) and incidentally, they work well on real thick ply - half inch & above - multi-lamination marine ply. Again here in Switz the “official” Dremel (and Proxon) one are cheap enough, and come in various grades; and again, I THINK Arc Euro has them. BTW, like Items 1 & 2 above, to get best results you’ll find high rpm (20,000 if your machine gives it) and LIGHT hand pressure will produce the good results referred to above.

Items 9, plus (can’t see the number, next to items 1) plus (can’t see – between 11 & 16) - are all polishing mops. They work best on soft metals like ali n brass, but if you keep at will also produce a nice “engine turned effect” on mild steel surfaces. They mount (screw on to) item number (looks like 42) and are used in conjunction with the “India rubber” (which you mention in your text but which I can’t see in your pic). Take that tub of hard brown stuff that you mention (is it item 49 in your pic?), prise a little bit out with a matchstick or lolly stick and spread it in lumps over the metal you want to polish. Soften it (like your’s, mine is really too hard to call a paste) with your finger tip and a drop or two of metal polish (“Brasso” is ideal), or if not available, a VERY light oil or paraffin. Start off with the rubber then work “down” to the white polishing mops (item 9, or the big one, or the “cylindrical” one, according to the job size/shape). Then finish off with a suitable brush (item 37, or the 2 others to the right of 37 – again I can’t see those numbers properly, sorry). Note that all the white mops become loaded up with the “paste” (it’s actually jeweller’s rouge) and if you’re trying for a nice, highly-polished finish on some metal (e.g. the plates of a clock) then they can really be used one time only (but the brushes can be washed out in acetone and hot soapy water). The mops and rubbers are available as official Dremel and Proxon spares but they’re pricey (here anyway), so I buy mine from someone like Chronos UK (http://www.chronos.ltd.uk – again excellent service and again usual disclaimers).

Items 31 (I think) through 36 – steel and brass wire brushes. Personally I don’t like these much (there’s plenty of better items in the “normal” DIY emporium) but they can be useful in getting into v small/tight areas sometimes. If you do use them ever, DO, PLEASE use good eye shields and gloves – on the rare occasions I’ve used mine they shed those tiny wire “hairs” one at a time) and the idea of getting one of those in the eye makes me shudder – I’ve already had the odd one in my hand n that’s bad enough, ‘cos those wires are very thin). It ‘urts like ‘ell!

Items 10 (and maybe in the “tub”, 11?) are, IMHO, the real “dogs danglers”. They are abrasive cut-off wheels (the tub 11 has the thick ones in it I think – rather less useful) and these are used just like shown by Jimi43 in his first pic. Exactly as he says, keep the rotating disc square in the kerf at all times and you’ll be pleasantly surprised how quickly they’ll cut stuff like hard piano wire, silver steel, bolts, screws, etc. But as Jimi says, they can shatter quite easily (especially until you get used to using them) and in any case they shed loads of fine abrasive dust, so eye protection is essential. Do note that the harder the material being cut the quicker they wear down (obviously). They mount onto the mandrel (2nd from R from the “screw” mandrel used for polishing mops), and do note the 2 tiny fibre washers that come with the mandrel – fit one above and one below the cut off disc when mounting it EVERY time. Like some of the others above, the official Dremel and Proxon items are cheap enough (here anyway) – I always make sure I’ve got a good stock of them on hand. I’d think any DIY emporium in UK, plus probably the 2 firms named above, will have them on the shelf. I’d think they’re hardly worth the bother and risk of a flea bay buy.

Items 31 through 39 - diamond (on the LH side) and tungsten-steel (on the RH side) “dental burrs” of various shapes. I doubt they’d be much good for “real” woodworking, but I use mine sometimes on stuff like model aeroengine internals, GRP, hard plastic, etc. IF they are “proper” diamond and “proper” tungsten-steel then they are V expensive to replace. Again Chronos (as above) can probably help. I once cadged a nice set (un-used) from my Dentist so I’ve probably got enough to last the rest of my lifetime - as said, personally I use them only rarely, but when needs must they will remove metal pretty quickly, even “hard” metal like cast iron and weld spatter.

Items 18, 19, 20 – mounted stones of various grades. Personally I use numbers 18 and 20 (when it’s not worn oval like I think yours is) quite a lot, primarily for sharpening stuff like scissors, garden shears, lawnmower blades, etc. BUT do please note I was lucky enough to have SWMBIO buy me a “proper“ Dremel set for Crimble a few years back and that included a little “jigging fixture” which can use those stones. Dependant on your model the Dremel jig MAY fit, and again, here at least they are cheap enough (and come complete with a mounted stone of the “pink/red” variety). To that you can add (as a separate buy() a “grey” mounted stone if you’re going to be doing “heavy” work like grinding big stone gouges out of lawnmower blades – the “pink” stones are for final “finish-grinding” only. I do not agree with someone else’s statement that they’re useless and wear away too quickly – they’re ideal for exactly what they’re designed for, as above. If you want to grind half inch chunks of hard metal off at one time then go and buy a Bridgeport mill or a Schlieren surface grinder! Use the max speed you possibly can and keep the tool pressure LIGHT and you’ll find they do the job very well (IMHO).

All the other items in your pic are unknow to me, sorry.

Quite a lot of people ridicule Dremel, Proxon, and their cheap clones, and certainly none of them have the sort of power you’ll find in a big DeWalt drill (for example),. But used “sensibly” and with a bit of thought about what you’re trying to do on what sort of material they definitely do have an (important) place in the workshop – IMHO anyway.

I hope the above is of some help and not “teaching granny to suck eggs”.

Krgds & good luck

AES

Wow! Thanks for all the replies so far, and especially to AES for taking all that time. So much useful stuff!

A few things:

I don't think jimi was criticising the flapwheel - he was talking about the very thin sandpaper discs, which I agree aren't up to much. It's not clear from the photo, but tube no. 5 contains about 30 of them. Flapwheels are one of the best things ever invented. 8)

Great tip on the sanding bands. I've always had a bit of a problem with them sliding off, but not any more. They really are excellent for internal sanding of various things of a smaller diameter. You wouldn't use them for any precision finishing.

Brilliant guidance on using the rubber emery wheel (no. 10) with the white felt polishing cloths, the method of using the (green) polish, and the whole point of the nylon brushes. I would never have figured all of that out myself. :)

Totally agree about the wire brushes! Two of them are completely naked and I think every single flying bit of wire hit me in the face. Thankfully I work on an offshore oil platform, so reaching for safety glasses and gloves is something I am always very strict about. (I even insist on the wife wearing goggles when pruning the brambles. :wink: )

And these tools are what they are - if I need to do something heavy duty, it's time to reach for the man-sized drill with a man-sized attachment. I can't see myself getting into home dentistry, though. :D

Sorry some of the numbering is a bit unclear, but I really didn't expect so much information!

Thanks everyone.

I hope the above is of some help and not “teaching granny to suck eggs”.
Never, ever worry about that if I'm involved. (homer) :mrgreen:

@alan2001

Only too pleased to be of some help - so many have helped me here.

And as always in this "game" it's "absolutely obvious" n "common knowledge" when you know something and "B - - - - y hard" when you don't!

BTW, though it's often got some Mickey Mouse stuff on it, Dremel have a website which has got all sorts of hints n tips on it.

And Maplins (the electronics retailers) probably have some of those bits n pieces too (you'll have to Google both the above, sorry).

Cheers
AES

Of course, everything I know is completely obvious!

But I think I misread/misunderstood something:

Brilliant guidance on using the rubber emery wheel (no. 10) with the white felt polishing cloths

I didn't use the words 'India Rubber' myself, but I think you were maybe referring to the green polishing compound? So I'm still not sure what to do with the 'Rubber Emery Wheel' (No. 10, dark grey). It's back on fingernail duties for now. ;)

Thanks again. I'm now in the mood to go forth and Dremel things to within an inch of their lives, whether they need it or not! :p

@alan 2001

Ah sorry, I just thought I read "India rubber" in your original post. My own ("official" Dremel, came with the kit) is a sort of of mid-grey coloured, pointed-end, otherwise cylindrical item permanently mounted on a shaft. Looking again at your pic, I guess your item 10 (which I thought was a bunch of spare cut-off discs) is to be used for the same purpose as I described above - but in your case you'd have to mount it on a mandrel first - I guess the 1st item to the right of item 49 (the "screw-end" mandrel for polishing mops).

As to your "thick paste" being green, not brown like mine, I GUESS it's the same/similar jeweller's rouge as my brown stuff, but perhaps of a different grade - I dunno - I am, as they say here, "over-asked"!

Anyway, good luck with your Dremeling. Anything else I can help with in that area, send me a pm (see my profile).

Cheers
AES

²alan 2001,

Sorry, correction to my last above:

Line 2 should read QUOTE: .... pointed-end, otherwise cylindrical RUBBER item permanently .... UNQUOTE:

Sorry about that.

AES

Thanks again!

I've just read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polishing_(metalworking), which has helped a bit. It lists various types of buffing compounds:

BLACK = Emery Compound, a coarse abrasive material for removal of scratches, pits, paint, rust etc.
BROWN = Tripoli compound used for general purpose cut and color on most soft metals.
WHITE = Blizzard compound, used for color and final finish of harder metals, has a cutting action.
RED = Jeweller’s Rouge, designed to polish without any cutting action. Safe on thin plates. Use on its own wheel.
BLUE = A dryer, almost greaseless wheel - designed to polish without any cutting action. Safe on thin plates. Use on its own wheel.
GREEN = Used exclusively for Stainless Steel.

and:

Aluminium oxide abrasives are used on high tensile strength metals, such as carbon and alloy steel, tough iron, and nonferrous alloys. Silicon carbide abrasives are used on hard and brittle substances, such as grey iron and cemented carbide, and low tensile strength metals, such as brass, aluminium, and copper

It embarrasses me when I ask questions of people on here, and belatedly realise that a bit of external research wouldn't have been very difficult. #-o

Alrighty. After a lengthy process of elimination, some of the huge amount of help here, decyphering of the user manual, and typing inanely into Excel, I think this is what I've got:

Item Qty Description
1 12 Sanding Band 12.7 x 12.7mm
2 12 Sanding Band 6.35 x 12.7mm
3 30 Cutoff wheel heavy duty 24 x 0.8mm
4 36 Cutoff wheel regular 24 x 0..4mm
5 45 Sanding disc
6 4 Aluminium Oxide grinding wheel 19 x 3.2mm (Pink)
7 4 Silicon Carbide grinding wheel 19 x 3.2mm (Blue)
8 3 Cutoff wheel fibre glass 32 x 1.2mm
9 4 Felt Wheel 12.7 x 9.5mm
10 1 Rubber Emery Wheel 22.2 x 4mm
11 1 Cloth Wheel 25.4 x 3.2mm
12 1 Felt Wheel 25.4 x 6.35mm
13 1 Dressing stone Silicon Carbide 25.4 x 9.5mm
14 1 Flap wheel 32 x 9.5mm
15 1 Felt Wheel Point 9.5 x 19mm
16 1 Silicon Carbide grinding wheel 20 x 4mm (Blue)
17 1 Silicon Carbide grinding wheel 9.5 x 3.2mm (Blue)
18 1 Aluminium Oxide grinding wheel 9.5 x 12.7mm (Orange)
19 1 Aluminium Oxide parabolic wheel 9.5 x 19mm (Orange)
20 1 Aluminium Oxide grinding wheel 15.8 x 9.5mm (Orange)
21 1 Diamond cutter cylindrical 2.4 x 9.5mm
22 1 Diamond cutter cylindrical 4.79 x 9.52mm
23 1 Diamond cutter spherical 4mm
24 1 Diamond cutter spherical 2mm
25 1 Diamond cutter taper 3.2mm
26 1 Diamond cutter T Type
27 1 HSS cutter cylindrical 3.2 x 8.7mm
28 1 HSS cutter spherical 3.2mm
29 2 HSS cutter taper 3.2mm
30 1 Wrench/screwdriver
31 1 Stainless brush axial 5 x 44.5mm
32 1 Stainless brush axial 12.7 x 44.5mm
33 1 Stainless brush radial 21 x 44.5mm
34 1 Brass brush axial 5 x 44.5mm
35 1 Brass brush axial 12.7 x 44.5mm
36 1 Brass brush radial 21 x 44.5mm
37 1 Nylon brush axial 5 x 44.5mm
38 1 Nylon brush radial 21 x 44.5mm
39 1 Nylon brush axial 12.7 x 44.5mm
40 1 Drum sander 12.7 x 12.7mm
41 1 Drum sander 6.35 x 12.7mm
42 1 Mandrel for felt wheel
43 1 Mandrel for cloth wheel 2.4mm screw
44 1 Mandrel for cutoff wheel 1.6mm screw
45 1 Mandrel for cutoff wheel 1.6mm screw
46 2 Collet 3.2mm
47 1 Collet 2.4mm
48 1 Collet 1.6mm
49 1 Green polishing compound
50 2 HSS Twist Drills 3.2mm
51 2 HSS Twist Drills 2.4mm
52 2 HSS Twist Drills 1.6mm

Thanks to everyone once again for all their comments and advice so far.:)

Can't believe how cheap some of the multipacks are on ebay, Dremel or not.

Latest posts

Back