Advice Buying a Bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

I am thinking of buying a Bandsaw, I have been looking on different websites and my budget is £200, I have narrowed it down to two, one is a Record BS250 1/3 HP and the other a Metabo Blue Bas 260 Swift 350W, both are bench mountable. I have just started a new hobby woodturning, were I will be turning items such as pens, bowels and other small items, the maximum thicknest of timber is 4" to 4 1/2" but can't decied which bandsaw to pick.

Carl

The distance from blade to frame determines the largest board you can cut which can be important in wood turning also a large table is good when cutting circles but neither are essential.

Hi Carl,

The BS250 can only handle a maximum depth of 120mm (4 3/4") but bear in mind that this max measurement is for plastics and foam.

The BS240 will struggle with 3+ inches of wood (depending on the wood) as it just doesn't have the power.

I would recommend stepping up to a bigger machine with a bigger motor, that way you wont have problems like breaking blades and stalling the motor when trying to cut larger pieces of wood.

Also, if you spend the money now you shouldn't need to replace it when you do start cutting larger pieces.

Hope this helps

The saw you mention is very small and underpowered for most things.

A bandsaw is one of the most useful and versatile tools in a woodworking shop. I really recommend getting the best you can possibly afford. A good one with plenty of capacity will serve you well whatever you do in the future.

I have what is now the record bs300-x on offer at £349.95 and i like it a lot motor is 1 hp and is free standing with wheel kit may be worth a look.

Have to agree with the advice offered so far, I bought a bandsaw that was the right size for the work I do. Big waste of money despite being assured by the suppliers that it could do what I ,I had to give up and buy a much bigger saw that I am very happy with and has good backup, Record.

Just wish that I got it right first time.

hello all,

I also bought the best the best I could afford at the time, Sheppach Basato 3, it has a cutting throat of 6 inches, but I am thinking of moving up to a record with a 10 inch throat. Need to cut bigger logs for turning also!!

GT

Back