Accurate combination square?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought, but Rutlands sell what is basically the exact same combination square as the Asminster one (under the Dakota brand), the only difference I'm aware of is a slightly different shade of blue! It's only 25 quid too.

I have one and agree with whats been said, for the money it's excellant, the protractor is especially good, very accurate and smooth to run. All I would say is if you do order it form them, phone the order in and make sure you get a metric/imperial one, the first one I got was imperial only!

George_N":2c3hf80l said:
Sawdust Producer":2c3hf80l said:
Run a hacksaw blade down the center line
Care to expand on that? I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
In the slot on a combination square where the blade slides one can carefully change the bed angle where the blade sits to adjust the blade's position in relation to the face. Most use a hacksaw blade to change this angle of the bed. Very slight changes affect the relationship of the blade to the face of the body.

Don't do this to quality squares. There are actually bronze or hardened steel pads the blade rides upon.

Instead, on non-premium squares, I prefer to draw file the faces to adjust how the blade/body relate, leaving the milled slot alone.

On premium squares, one should send them in for recalibration unless you are confident you can make a proper adjustment. Starrett will adjust theirs for a nominal fee. I use to use a local company who traveled on-site to recalibrate other instruments, such as my dial calipers.

Take care, Mike

I got my version recently from Tilgear - chinese grey blue, and on sale @£19. Unfortunalely I had barely time to note the square was not BS square before the locking arrangement broke. Tilgear kindly swapped it at no extra cost for the small Starrett, which is very good, and possibly more suited to cabinet making

I like the look of that small Starrett Tilgear do - thanks Ivan.
I was trying to look up which one it was on Starett's website - I think it's their "student one". If you find it accurate that's good enough for me ...
Cheers
Gidon

I have one of the small starretts. A cracking little square being small it's easy to flip around in your fingers without knocking things or dropping it. I use it as my main checking tool, when checking by eye because it seems easier to sight across the blade don't know why, sounds a bit daft, if it's due to the accuracy of the grind or the type of metal. Recently I have got it wet or damp when playing with the Tormek and checking the square of chisel ends and it doesn't seem to affect it. Originally I ordered it by mistake (from tilgear about10-15 years ago) and thought I'd dropped off but would buy another with no hesitation.

Cheers Alan

I followed this thread with interest. I browsed ebay and found this listing, which I bid on and won. :D
So I now have a six inch Starrett square.

Here are the markings on the rule.
and
The scales are 1/16", 1/32", 1/64" and 1/100" suits me just right.8)

Anyone know what the other attachment was used for? I guess for height setting or may be scribing. Its not a Starrett part, heres the marking on it.

Does anyone have any details about old Brown & Sharpe tools?

An idea of the age of the different parts would be nice as well.

Back