A1

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
A1 over M1?

I have to travel from the Leeds area to NE London tomorrow.
My Sat Nav is showing a route using the A1 to get there instead of the M1 (which I know reasonably well).
I have not used the A1 for many years - what's it like nowadays?

Rod

Don't know about the A1, but the bottom end of the M1 is a completer PITA these days. Mile after mile of roadworks with 50 limit and average speed cameras.

Good luck,

A1 one all the way for me it is a trip I do regularly and very rarely get held up.

From Leeds it is either motorway or dual carriageway all the way the only problem with the A1 is there arent many stopping places with facilities but there are a few little chefs.

john

Another vote for the A1 especially with the roadworks on the M1 for 16 miles or so.

Why do they always wait till the holiday season to do road works? Don't they have holidays?

Roy.

The M1 road works between MK and Luton will only delay you by 5 or 6 mins.

16 miles @ 50 mph (with road works) = 19.2 mins

16 miles @ 70 mph (without road works) = 13.7 mins

I went through there the other day and traffic was moving at a steady 50mph and could have gone quicker but for the cyclops.

myturn":1xve5lc1 said:

I went through there the other day and traffic was moving at a steady 50mph and could have gone quicker but for the cyclops.

"Speed restrictions are in place to protect the workforce"

Um......what workforce? Empty most times I go down.

myturn":c1saa2f1 said:

Yes maybe but it feels very slow and to put is another way:

50mph for 19.2 mins is 40% slower than 70mph for 13.7 mins

Anyway most people do 80+ = 12 mins so 50mph is 60% slower. (please don't lets get sidetracked into a speeding debate)

And it has been there for at least a million years now :evil:

cutting42":3murr6gi said:
myturn":3murr6gi said:

Anyway most people do 80+ = 12 mins so 50mph is 60% slower. (please don't lets get sidetracked into a speeding debate)

And while all the car drivers are busy sticking to 50 mph for fear of getting a speeding ticket, all the lorry drivers seem to be doing at least 55, if not more, so you are constantly either being overtaken by a truck or have one 2mm behind your back bumper!!

My journey down the M1, M62, A1, A14, M11 this morning went well.
Despite the speed cameras and Average Speed Cameras (on the A14) I did it in about 3 hrs.
Much more interesting drive than the M1 but could see that with more lorries overtaking each other it could become frustrating with only 2 lanes?
But luckily not today.

A journey using the M1 would also have involved a section of the M25 which has several miles of 50mph which I had to endure on my way home to Hampshire this evening - another 100 miles.

Rod

cutting42":f49nq6s5 said:
myturn":f49nq6s5 said:

Doesn't matter if it FEELS slow or what the percentage reduction in speed is, it will still only delay you by 5 or 6 mins.

While most people "do" 80mph and more I can guarantee you that they won't even average 70mph on that stretch of the motorway, road works or not. It may feel quicker accelerating up to 100mph but as soon as you catch up with the traffic you will be down to half that so all you've done is waste fuel.

Mick my problem with bimbling along at those speeds for mile after mile is that I start to lose concentration, I know I shouldn't but I do. Your mind wanders, you're not engaged with the road and your attention goes. On a clear road and I get back to 85/90 it's full concentration and I'm much more aware

Ironballs":1y2tff1e said:
Mick my problem with bimbling along at those speeds for mile after mile is that I start to lose concentration, I know I shouldn't but I do. Your mind wanders, you're not engaged with the road and your attention goes. On a clear road and I get back to 85/90 it's full concentration and I'm much more aware

I couldn't agree with you more.

Interesting news item on Channel 4 News tonight that confirmed what many of us have been saying for a long time. Speed cameras are cash cows and that in many areas where they've been put in, accidents have gone up.

Ironballs":e6lz396x said:
On a clear road and I get back to 85/90 it's full concentration and I'm much more aware

That's because you are constantly on the look out for the police :)

I can talk though - Came back from Devon on Sunday and the A38 was shut (motorbike hit bus, bus caught fire) so we got diverted miles out of the way. Made up for it on the motorway though and still got home in our usual 3 hours. It's funny though - even though you're doing 90, when someone passes you you still mutter "look at that silly person" :)

With regard to the "speed cameras cause accidents to increase":

In some places with cameras accidents have increased. But statistics say that due to randomisation in some places accidents will indeed increase and in some places they will go down in number. Studies need to look at as many sites as possible over the long term instead of cherry picking locations that suit the invesigator's bias (always interesting to see who funds these studies, one in the paper today regarding binge drinking/parental disipline was funded by SABMiller).

This applies to both sides of the arguement!

Back